George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

[youtube][/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Overall how was the episode? I mean aside from the obvious.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

In regards to show vs the book, found this selection from the text on towerofthehand:
Joffrey began to claw at his throat, his nails tearing bloody gouges in the flesh. Beneath the skin, the muscles stood out hard as stone. Prince Tommen was screaming and crying.

He is going to die, Tyrion realized. He felt curiously calm, though pandemonium raged all about him. They were pounding Joff on the back again, but his face was only growing darker. Dogs were barking, children were wailing, men were shouting useless advice at each other. Half the wedding guests were on their feet, some shoving at each other for a better view, others rushing for the doors in their haste to get away.

Ser Meryn pried the king's mouth open to jam a spoon down his throat. As he did, the boy's eyes met Tyrion's. He has Jaime's eyes. Only he had never seen Jaime look so scared. The boy's only thirteen. Joffrey was making a dry clacking noise, trying to speak. His eyes bulged white with terror, and he lifted a hand... reaching for his uncle, or pointing... Is he begging my forgiveness, or does he think I can save him? "Noooo," Cersei wailed, "Father help him, someone help him, my son, my son..."
So... he didn't claw any holes in his throat, but is that really all that surprising? Especially after Catelyn didn't claw her face apart at the end of the Red Wedding? Does it really matter? Doesn't to me. That's really the only noteworthy difference, IMO.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PensFanInDC wrote:Overall how was the episode? I mean aside from the obvious.
I thought it was pretty good. A lot of setup for where other storylines are heading this season (Bran and Ramsay specifically). The non-wedding KL scenes were all pretty good too, I thought. The Wedding was good, a bit different in places than I remember from the book, but it all worked well.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Where does South Park get off just casually dropping the Joffrey spoiler in their Thrones episode? I noted it at the time but just assumed that it was too big of a spoiler to actually be true.

Tremendous episode though. It's about time they threw the audience and readers a bone after killing and screwing over every single one of the more likable characters.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Overall how was the episode? I mean aside from the obvious.
You'll love the scene at the wedding with Oberyn, Ellaria, Tywin and Cersei.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

the wicked child wrote:In regards to show vs the book, found this selection from the text on towerofthehand:
Joffrey began to claw at his throat, his nails tearing bloody gouges in the flesh. Beneath the skin, the muscles stood out hard as stone. Prince Tommen was screaming and crying.

He is going to die, Tyrion realized. He felt curiously calm, though pandemonium raged all about him. They were pounding Joff on the back again, but his face was only growing darker. Dogs were barking, children were wailing, men were shouting useless advice at each other. Half the wedding guests were on their feet, some shoving at each other for a better view, others rushing for the doors in their haste to get away.

Ser Meryn pried the king's mouth open to jam a spoon down his throat. As he did, the boy's eyes met Tyrion's. He has Jaime's eyes. Only he had never seen Jaime look so scared. The boy's only thirteen. Joffrey was making a dry clacking noise, trying to speak. His eyes bulged white with terror, and he lifted a hand... reaching for his uncle, or pointing... Is he begging my forgiveness, or does he think I can save him? "Noooo," Cersei wailed, "Father help him, someone help him, my son, my son..."
So... he didn't claw any holes in his throat, but is that really all that surprising? Especially after Catelyn didn't claw her face apart at the end of the Red Wedding? Does it really matter? Doesn't to me. That's really the only noteworthy difference, IMO.
Yeah, that's why I said the book was a little worse. But the passage describes a bit more suffering too and the clacking noise he was making. After all he's done, I think a lot of people wanted more.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I'll preface this by saying I don't care either way.

I imagine the book purest will tear this episode apart. I saw a bunch of small things in this episode that would outraged those people.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I can understand the inclination to want far worse for him... nothing short of being flayed piece by piece in Ramsay's chamber would have sufficed in that regard.

However, him dying in such public fashion and the joy in Cersei's mouth turning to ash as his life spewed forth from his mouth/nose was satisfying enough for me.

I am going to have to rewatch this one for sure as it had somewhat of a surreal feeling for me throughout as I had been waiting for this episode ever since reading the books.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The sad part is that Jack Gleason did such an unbelievable job at playing the part that it's almost sad to see him go. Almost. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I appreciated the fan service of showing a zillion shots of his dead stupid face. They sure hammered that home.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

As terrible as Joffrey was, in the books he always made things interesting. This was further proven in book 4 and 5 when everything became less interesting.

Reading the books for the first time I was always on edge because he could literally do what ever he wanted at any given time. I never knew who was going to live or die.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

the wicked child wrote:The sad part is that Jack Gleason did such an unbelievable job at playing the part that it's almost sad to see him go. Almost. :pop:
And now he says he is quitting acting to pursue philosophy and languages at Trinity College.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spangler wrote:As terrible as Joffrey was, in the books he always made things interesting. This was further proven in book 4 and 5 when everything became less interesting.

Reading the books for the first time I was always on edge because he could literally do what ever he wanted at any given time. I never knew who was going to live or die.
Yes, this is a very real challenge the show will face going forward... more so next season than this one since there is still a lot of prime ASOS material remaining to fill the rest of the episodes.

----------------

I was reading some articles; one was an interview with D&D. Apparently they looked into the logistics of pig riding, but were told that it wasn't good for the pigs. Hence we got the "history lesson", which quite frankly was amazing. It was over the top in its ridiculousness, as well as its offensiveness.

Book 5 spoiler
Spoiler:
This also still works if they decide to cast Penny since they can say that one of the "kings" was her brother. I'm not entirely convinced she will be part of the show though.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

blackjack68 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:The sad part is that Jack Gleason did such an unbelievable job at playing the part that it's almost sad to see him go. Almost. :pop:
And now he says he is quitting acting to pursue philosophy and languages at Trinity College.
more power to him. Saw him speak at Oxford and was very impressed--obviously a very bright individual, and I think he believes he has more to give the world than his on-screen performances.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Just watched the episode. Not a book reader. It feels like Christmas morning.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Some info on Dunk and Egg's future: http://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Favorite lines from last night's episode:

"Oh to be foreign"

"Try enjoying something for once in your life Tywin. You may find it suits you."
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The dude who played Joffrey was excellent in that role....such an unlikeable character.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Fantastic episode.

Shae (book vs. movie)
Spoiler:
I really like how it was done in the book, with her being bought off by Cersei and testifying at Tyrion's trial. Do you think she got away for real, or should we expect her storyline to wrap up like the book? That was one of my favorite scenes in the books...on the privy. :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i think the Shae thing will end just like it did in the book...
Spoiler:
my guess is that Bronn is now Tywin's henchman (and will be Jamie's next season), and he made up all that stuff about Shae being on the boat. it'll add to Tyrion's feeling of betrayal during his trial. she's shacking up with Tywin as we speak, imo.
also, I've found the Shae character to be completely uninteresting in the books and the show - particularly the show.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I was unaware until recently, that the woman who plays Shae had an "interesting" start in film.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

shmenguin wrote:i think the Shae thing will end just like it did in the book...
Spoiler:
my guess is that Bronn is now Tywin's henchman (and will be Jamie's next season), and he made up all that stuff about Shae being on the boat. it'll add to Tyrion's feeling of betrayal during his trial. she's shacking up with Tywin as we speak, imo.
also, I've found the Shae character to be completely uninteresting in the books and the show - particularly the show.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I forgot that angle from the books. According to the Wiki of Ice and Fire, it's Cersei buying him off (i.e. won't fight for him again in the trial by combat).
Another note about this last episode, is when watching the Melisandre ritual, I couldn't help to be relieved that they cut all of the Iron Islands kingsmoot and the other religious ceremonies out of the series. I like the Iron Islands storyline, but that stuff was too long and detracted from the main story, particularly so on the series.
Last edited by Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

shmenguin wrote:i think the Shae thing will end just like it did in the book...
Spoiler:

Yeah, I agree that Shae will end up same as in the books.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote: Another note about this last episode, is when watching the Melisandre ritual, I couldn't help to be relieved that they cut all of the Iron Islands kingsmoot and the other religious ceremonies out of the series. I like the Iron Islands storyline, but that stuff was too long and detracted from the main story, particularly so on the series.
they haven't delved too much into theon's family yet. i think we're going to see plenty of kingsmoot.