LGP DIY House edition

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LGP DIY House edition

Post by Juice »

cheesesteakwithegg: option a or option b?
3 people: option a
cheesesteakwithegg: alright option b it is then
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

this isn't really a "DIY" question since there's no way i'm D'ing this myself, but anyways...

we're still a few years away, but there's a strong possibility that we're going to do a massive remodel on our house at some point. i'm talking adding about a 2 story addition out the back and totally gutting about 50% of the current house (we have a small house, so this isn't a crazy notion). my question is this - if you're doing a 2 story remodel, is it necessary that you keep your load bearing walls and headers in exactly the same place on the 1st floor? or can you move them around a little?

in more practical words, the outside wall that would need knocked down to do an addition is in a bad spot. if we had to put a header there, it would screw up the type of floor plan that we'd want. if we push the header out about 4 or 5 extra feet into the addition, would that be ok?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shmenguin wrote:this isn't really a "DIY" question since there's no way i'm D'ing this myself, but anyways...

we're still a few years away, but there's a strong possibility that we're going to do a massive remodel on our house at some point. i'm talking adding about a 2 story addition out the back and totally gutting about 50% of the current house (we have a small house, so this isn't a crazy notion). my question is this - if you're doing a 2 story remodel, is it necessary that you keep your load bearing walls and headers in exactly the same place on the 1st floor? or can you move them around a little?

in more practical words, the outside wall that would need knocked down to do an addition is in a bad spot. if we had to put a header there, it would screw up the type of floor plan that we'd want. if we push the header out about 4 or 5 extra feet into the addition, would that be ok?
im no engineer, but if you're talking about a load bearing wall on an existing structure, it would be in your best interest to leave that support in the exact same place. in terms of the floorplan, you will probably be leaning towards a new beam support that will leave a bulkhead. from a design standpoint, this can work to your benefit via a simple drywall boxed-in and finished look or by a wooden cladding. for a more industrial look, the support beam could be painted carbon steel. you have options. if i were to guesstimate a price on replacing a load bearing wall with a support beam (wooden), you're looking at 1,800-3,000, depending on your contractor.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

canaan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this isn't really a "DIY" question since there's no way i'm D'ing this myself, but anyways...

im no engineer, but if you're talking about a load bearing wall on an existing structure, it would be in your best interest to leave that support in the exact same place. in terms of the floorplan, you will probably be leaning towards a new beam support that will leave a bulkhead. from a design standpoint, this can work to your benefit via a simple drywall boxed-in and finished look or by a wooden cladding. for a more industrial look, the support beam could be painted carbon steel. you have options. if i were to guesstimate a price on replacing a load bearing wall with a support beam (wooden), you're looking at 1,800-3,000, depending on your contractor.
the issue is that the bulkhead would be bisecting the new kitchen in a very crappy way. i would need it shifted by 3 feet.

my thought was that because it's a 2 story addition and remodel, it might alter the equation enough that there's a little wiggle room with the support structures. of course ultimately, the contractor would get an engineer and all that, but it's become a fun hobby to work on the design (though i know i could show it to a pro and they'd facepalm me), and i just don't want to go down the completely wrong path.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

A good contractor can do it, especially if it's a small house.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I am thinking of trying to install kitchen cabnits my self. I got a very small kitchen and from just watching videos it doesn't look all that hard.

I have been doing alot of home upgrades and repairs myself and have learned quite alot. Still not all that great. But maybe the cabnits might be over my head? Anyone ever do this.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

no name wrote:I am thinking of trying to install kitchen cabnits my self. I got a very small kitchen and from just watching videos it doesn't look all that hard.

I have been doing alot of home upgrades and repairs myself and have learned quite alot. Still not all that great. But maybe the cabnits might be over my head? Anyone ever do this.
Shims, shims, shims, and more shims.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

There's not much to cabinets outside of making sure all the different pieces you want fit the space correctly and getting them in level. Also, make sure they are secured to the framing, not just screwed into the wall!

They will be much more costly if you need custom sizing.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm thinking of building a 12x16 ft deck this week. It's basically going to be a glorified patio behind my house on which I can set up my backyard theater, some lawn chairs, etc. I was thinking of making an actual patio but I can't dig down one inch my lawn without hitting rocks so the though of going down 7 inches is terrifying. Besides, I like wood (twss) and a deck would fit my decor better.

I'm watching Youtube videos now. I'm thinking this won't be too hard. That's usually a sign of pending disaster.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm thinking of building a 12x16 ft deck this week. It's basically going to be a glorified patio behind my house on which I can set up my backyard theater, some lawn chairs, etc. I was thinking of making an actual patio but I can't dig down one inch my lawn without hitting rocks so the though of going down 7 inches is terrifying. Besides, I like wood (twss) and a deck would fit my decor better.

I'm watching Youtube videos now. I'm thinking this won't be too hard. That's usually a sign of pending disaster.
We had a paver patio put in a couple years ago, cost maybe $2500- can't say how it would have turned out if I had spent like $500 and doneit myself... But I'd guess the $2000 was some of the best money i have spent.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Purchased one of these today...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_321308-1217-FG5 ... facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoping its not a ***** to put together.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I bought that exact same shed last year. It wasn't terrible to put together but you need to drill a lot of pilot holes and some pieces on mine didn't line up very well on the roof.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Hockeynut! wrote:I bought that exact same shed last year. It wasn't terrible to put together but you need to drill a lot of pilot holes and some pieces on mine didn't line up very well on the roof.
Gonna have my dad help me. I could probably do it myself or with the help of my wife, but I'm not the greatest DIY'er. It won't even be delivered till next week. Box was too big to fit in the back of my Forester, well it probably could have fit if I squeezed, but I'll just wait for them to deliver it. Will report back if and when I Have issues haha. Just gonna be used to store lawnmower and some long handled tools. It should fit that purpose well I hope.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Building a deck goes much faster on Youtube.
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by manicmonday18 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a landscape company/trustworthy uncle/friend/etc who would put an approximately 24 square foot patio under my grill (no seating, just getting rid of some dead grass area and putting something flat under my grill) and putting brick or paver edges on about 30 linear feet of flower beds? These are DIY projects that I will not be doing myself. I don't want to put a lot of money in the project since they are functional instead of visual projects and I am not very picky about what materials are used. My house and back yard are 2 years old and totally fenced in. I am unwilling to do/screw this up on my own, and honestly don't know anyone in my area (except Google) to give me a recommendation. My home is in the north side. I would appreciate any and all recommendations/advice.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Patios are relatively easy to do. Just throwing it out there. I'd say you're looking at a grand minimum for what you want if someone does it.. you could DIY for less than half.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

How hard would it be to build a bar or table for an outside patio/pool deck area, and what material(s) would be best? Cost?

What I want is something that can basically be used as a buffet table for when we have guests over, but will primarily be used to keep the potted herbs up off the ground. Looking for something about 6' in length and maybe 15-18" wide on top. Something like this:

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

It wouldn't cost you that much. You could get through it with some basic building knowledge and the right tools. Here's a concept you could simplify and amend to work for what you're going for...

http://www.thedesignconfidential.com/20 ... ont-buffet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I just bought that exact thing for like $70
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

tifosi77 wrote:what material(s) would be best?
Teak - and stainless steel screws.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

So we took an old wrought iron kitchen table and chairs from my grandparents... it was white with retro green vinyl cushions, and we repurposed it to make it black (dark brown metallic hue) and reupholstered the cushions with some fabric we bought...

Now the top is a 42" round white formica... I would like to put a 48" square in its place. Any suggestions on material?

I was going to just use a piece of plywood and wrap it in formica sheets but im wondering if theres a better idea?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:How hard would it be to build a bar or table for an outside patio/pool deck area, and what material(s) would be best? Cost?

What I want is something that can basically be used as a buffet table for when we have guests over, but will primarily be used to keep the potted herbs up off the ground. Looking for something about 6' in length and maybe 15-18" wide on top. Something like this:

We built a pub table out of block and a concrete top. The blocks were about $150 and the top was $300. I can post pic tomorrow.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It looks identical to this. The $300 Included the foot rest

http://www.frankbrothers.com/blog/2013/ ... pub-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'm going to start siding my house tonight. Biggest DIY home improvement I've tackled yet. Hold onto your butts.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

doing the full gambit and insulating too or no need? My parents did this in the early 2000s. I learned a lot from the contractors.