TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by shmenguin »

shmenguin wrote:and i don't see any "cross" between the 2 shows...that's not the point
dodint wrote:continued explanation of why they aren't similar shows, for some reason
it's not about thematic similarities. it's about taking distinct imagery from a popular show, and cramming it into the marketing for another show trying to make a name for itself. i think that's tacky. and i don't recall saying i was being irrational.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

dodint wrote:
the wicked child wrote:It's kinda like Kitchen Nightmares, but with bars and an angry American instead of an angry Brit. It also feels less staged than the latter American seasons of KN, so far anyway.

Basically, if you enjoy Taffer yelling at idiots, you'll enjoy the show. If you don't, you'll hate it. It's great comedic relief for me.
So I soaked in a couple of these while trying to fall asleep last night. After two episodes (The Tailgate and The Olive Pit) I've had a few impressions:
The DVR caught six more episodes of Bar Rescue while I was at work. The Downey's episode is EXACTLY what I pictured this shows concept to be. Perfect. Thanks for the recommendations, twc and others. :thumb:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I wasn't quite as sold on silicon valley as you guys. It was meh to me but the concept is good and I'll give it another go. Then again, I felt the same way about veep at first and now I love it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Watched most of the first episode of Turn. It was decent but not great. I think though it's because they are establishing the characters and what is happening. I feel like that for almost every premier. It has a lot of promise. I love Colonial/Revolutionary War stuff.
Damn, forgot to record this.
Just checked...the pilot re-airs before next week's new episode. Just set the recording myself so I can check it out. Sunday.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, just got finished watching it with my wife. Shows lots of promise, looking forward to where it might go. I'll have to pick up the book sometime down the line either way. Despite the egregious use of the tricorn hat, a staple of my beloved John Adams, I think I'll really enjoy the show.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Rick and Morty, anyone?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Rewatching Scrubs in order.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

shmenguin wrote:
it's not about thematic similarities. it's about taking distinct imagery from a popular show, and cramming it into the marketing for another show trying to make a name for itself. i think that's tacky. and i don't recall saying i was being irrational.
so basically you would've said this about any show with a sketchy male lead who wears hats? I admit that I've watched next to nothing of Breaking Bad but I don't see these related at all, prop or otherwise.
Spader's character is a very well dressed (I wonder how much those suits cost?) international criminal and most of the episodes have taken place in cool to very cold climates. I'm quite sure a hat is warranted.
ignore the show if you want but don't be surprised in 3 years if you're frantically trying to catch up by watching it on Netflix.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shmenguin wrote:and i don't see any "cross" between the 2 shows...that's not the point
I admit that I've watched next to nothing of Breaking Bad but I don't see these related at all
we should definitely keep going over this
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Two people who have never seen Breaking Bad arguing with someone who has never seen The Blacklist, about hats.

THIS IS WHAT THE INTERNET IS FOR.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Go to George R.R. Martin thread if you want to get in on the "Blue, Tri-Pointed Beard" debate.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

dodint wrote:Two people who have never seen Breaking Bad arguing with someone who has never seen The Blacklist, about hats.

THIS IS WHAT THE INTERNET IS FOR.
God Bless 'Merica!!!!

btw, I never said that I hadn't seen ANY BB, just like maybe one or 2 episodes.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I've never seen any of it. I'll probably binge it in a few years when I forgot all the references that I know through the rest of the media. I did the same thing with The Sopranos. Thought it couldn't possibly be as good as everyone was saying it was. Then, it was.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Wasn't too thrilled with the Justified finale, but I think they set the series up for an epic last season.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

canaan wrote:I wasn't quite as sold on silicon valley as you guys. It was meh to me but the concept is good and I'll give it another go. Then again, I felt the same way about veep at first and now I love it.
i love veep so much
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

JeffDFD wrote:
dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Watched most of the first episode of Turn. It was decent but not great. I think though it's because they are establishing the characters and what is happening. I feel like that for almost every premier. It has a lot of promise. I love Colonial/Revolutionary War stuff.
Damn, forgot to record this.
Just checked...the pilot re-airs before next week's new episode. Just set the recording myself so I can check it out. Sunday.
Next reair is 9pm Sat, and again at 11am Sunday.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Caught up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine today. Really well done season. At least I assume that was season finale.

If not for the FOX decision to air an episode after the Super Bowl, we wouldn't have given it a chance. So we were thankful the entire season was on Hulu, caught up quickly to current, then took a few weeks to watch the last couple.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

relantel wrote:Caught up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine today. Really well done season. At least I assume that was season finale.

If not for the FOX decision to air an episode after the Super Bowl, we wouldn't have given it a chance. So we were thankful the entire season was on Hulu, caught up quickly to current, then took a few weeks to watch the last couple.
That is a quality show. It's one of like 4 things I make it a point to watch anymore
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/simpson ... 201154816/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOLY CRAP!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

my dvr doesnt have enough powa for that kind of marathon :lol:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I just found out I had FXX, but it's on a regular SD channel, do they broadcast FXX in HD? (comcast)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

wow.

If nothing else I am sure I will DVR the first episode, just to see it again. But 12 stinking days, my gosh.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The stunning thing about the Simpsons...is that most kids haven't heard of them. I wasn't surprised that my own kids (5 and 7) weren't aware of the Simpsons, as I haven't watched the show since the mid-1990s. But speaking with some teenagers (children of friends of ours, that watch A LOT of TV), they had never heard of the show.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

canaan wrote:I wasn't quite as sold on silicon valley as you guys. It was meh to me but the concept is good and I'll give it another go. Then again, I felt the same way about veep at first and now I love it.
I liked it the first time, then watched it again and was kind of 'meh'. I like the style of humor (the Jobs/Wozniak bit was funny though stereotypical) but the premise is kind of...predictable? Anyway, the pilot episode is usually not the best way to judge a tv show and I'll be tuning in this weekend so I guess they did their job with it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The stunning thing about the Simpsons...is that most kids haven't heard of them. I wasn't surprised that my own kids (5 and 7) weren't aware of the Simpsons, as I haven't watched the show since the mid-1990s. But speaking with some teenagers (children of friends of ours, that watch A LOT of TV), they had never heard of the show.
People with older kids I know, it is kind of the same. They know the Simpsons, who they are, etc, but they don't really watch them and couldn't tell you squat about it's past. It is definitely still something people in their late 20s/ 30s/ early 40s probably know more than anyone.