TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by dodint »

I'm the opposite, I watch almost exclusively on DVR. If my TV is on a live channel it's probably background noise, like NHLN, while I study.

I DVR (TV Shows): The Blacklist, Justified, Legit, The League, The Newsroom, Boardwalk Emprie, Louie, The Daily Show, At Midnight, Sons of Anarchy, Bobs Burgers, Family Guy, Pardon The Interruption, Wheeler Dealers, Pens: In The Room, NHL Rivals, random movies I find.

Sports: Pens, Steelers, Formula 1, Tudor USC, Continental SC, Indy (w/Firestone Lights), Pirelli World Challenge, WRC, FIA GT, MotoGP

I stopped DVR'ing DTM as I just couldn't stand the presentation for some reason, and BTCC hasn't been on in years in the US it seems.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I don't even have a DVR... like I said, behind the times. I'll catch up eventually. :lol:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

You'll like it when you do, I really have commercials which is 70% of why I have a DVR.

Now that it's fully spring I'll start to fall behind since I'm outside actually living a life instead of being trapped in my suburban cave.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

We're so far behind on POI I'm not sure we've started CY 2014 yet.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

the wicked child wrote:It's kinda like Kitchen Nightmares, but with bars and an angry American instead of an angry Brit. It also feels less staged than the latter American seasons of KN, so far anyway.

Basically, if you enjoy Taffer yelling at idiots, you'll enjoy the show. If you don't, you'll hate it. It's great comedic relief for me.
So I soaked in a couple of these while trying to fall asleep last night. After two episodes (The Tailgate and The Olive Pit) I've had a few impressions:

-The first half of the show is brilliant.
-I assume the second half of the show is paid for by Spike for the owners to put up with the tirades.
-The second half of the show is not so great. Completely renovating a bar and changing its name is Flipping, not Saving. A small but significant distincition, imo. Most idiots with an unlimited budget can improve the structure of a bar and put up better signage.
-They're a little ambitious with the menus they set people up with. A dive bar with ground lamb sliders? Again, I can't get behind the idea of saving the bar by changing it completely but the new places will definitely make money, for a while.
-Bringing in a crowd of folks that know bad service is coming to completely slam the bar for a dry run is wholly unfair, but fun TV. Maybe having worked in restaurants I can see how having a 1 person kitchen with 10 new orders in the window is entirely overwhelming for someone cooking a new menu for the first time.
-Families are awful co-workers, damn.

Like many guys, I have that back-of-the-brain desire to own a bar someday, so I'm fascinated by the whole thing. The bottom line is it's entertaining as hell and my DVR is catching all the reruns for me. Even if it's more show than reality.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone watch Silicon valley? Any good?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

eddysnake wrote:anyone watch Silicon valley? Any good?
Heard good things from co-workers.

It's waiting on my DVR.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Turn looks interesting.

[youtube][/youtube]
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

blackjack68 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:anyone watch Silicon valley? Any good?
Heard good things from co-workers.

It's waiting on my DVR.
ive heard the same

any word on the veep season premier?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Turn looks interesting.

[youtube][/youtube]
Meant to watch that last night but got usurped by the ACM awards. (and had I not gotten usurped I would have been watching the Pens game so I would have had to rely on a reair anyway)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Oh, I watched Silicon Valley. Very funny. At only 30 minutes, it's a refreshing change from the hour long shows I seem to watch.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

I thought it was a pretty decent debut episode. Will definitely check out the next few. Mike Judge is usually pretty reliable, at least for me.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Watched Silcon Valley, and wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I really dug it.

It has that intelligent humor that I like. It's hard to go wrong with Mike Judge.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

veep - strong

silicon valley - strong
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

liked silicon valley, looking forward to more. Great cast!
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Watched most of the first episode of Turn. It was decent but not great. I think though it's because they are establishing the characters and what is happening. I feel like that for almost every premier. It has a lot of promise. I love Colonial/Revolutionary War stuff.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah that show is one im definitely going to watch. If not because it looks good then still because of the network its on.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I'm a sucker for historical drama - Turn was pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how it all "turns" out, but it is worth watching. Streaming for free on AMC TV, and you can skip/skim ahead through commercials.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

eddysnake wrote:I want to watch the blacklist, but everytime I see a picture of James Spader wearing that ridiculous hat and coat (that look isn't for him), I'm immediately turned off by the show.
you've got to get over that. imo, the wardrobe works for the character. it helps up the smarmy level. if you like suspense Blacklist is the best show on tv right now.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

newarenanow wrote:Watched most of the first episode of Turn. It was decent but not great. I think though it's because they are establishing the characters and what is happening. I feel like that for almost every premier. It has a lot of promise. I love Colonial/Revolutionary War stuff.
Damn, forgot to record this.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

That hat is a blatant rip off of the Heisenberg hat, which bothers me to an extent that I won't give that show a chance unless it gets a crazy amount of buzz.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I don't think it's a ripoff. Spader's character (and he wears them in real life, at least similar hats according to a recent interview) wears fedoras, and Heisenberg wears a "pork pie" style hat:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I was thinking a lot about Don Draper's hat and hat culture back in the early 20th century. Why did men wear hats everywhere? When did this stop? I think hat wearing declined with younger Americans during the Kennedy presidency, but older men continued wearing hats into the late 60s. Very interesting look at culture in post-modern America.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, anyone looking for a cross between Breaking Bad and The Blacklist isn't going to find one. They're not even in the same genre/league. The Blacklist is still a basic network show and fits in that box, even if they're the best at it. It's has the same kind of production value as other crime procedurals, it's just the acting from most of the actors is so much better. The only other basic network show I watch is Sleepy Hollow, which comes off as more campy because of the supernatural elements but is still good enough.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

morally ambiguous anti-hero wearing distinct, old-fashioned, full-brimmed black hat. no similarities at all.

it doesn't really matter if the styles are technically different or if the hat is appropriate for the character. it's co-opting an idea from a show that owned pop culture at the time of the blacklist's premiere. it's not the most egregious thing in the world. it's just tacky to me.

and i don't see any "cross" between the 2 shows...that's not the point
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It's a cloak and dagger thriller, not a cloak and dagger and bald thriller. I'll divorce myself from any real comparisons because I've never seen a moment of Breaking Bad. I'd hate to make irrational decisions about something I've never seen because of a prop.
Spoiler:
Whoops, I was wrong:

Balding. ;)
Either way, like you said your disinterest is irrational so there isn't much point in talking about it. Enjoy your crusade against hats. Or something. :?