George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Spoiler:
It's really weird being in the middle of book 3 right now having watched the show first. The order of certain things is different such as the Red Viper being introduced before the Red Wedding in the book. Whereas, he was only introduced last night in the show. Cat's father dies in one of the earlier episodes of the season, in the book there's a lot more of her at her father's bedside and the funeral happens a lot closer to the Red Wedding.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Spoiler:
It's really weird being in the middle of book 3 right now having watched the show first. The order of certain things is different such as the Red Viper being introduced before the Red Wedding in the book. Whereas, he was only introduced last night in the show. Cat's father dies in one of the earlier episodes of the season, in the book there's a lot more of her at her father's bedside and the funeral happens a lot closer to the Red Wedding.

Yeah, they are definitely tweaking things on the show. And to some extent, I'm happy. Wait to you get further in the books. Some of the stuff is insufferable. I'm sure the show will cut whole storylines to streamline things.

They haven't really done anything too offensive in interpreting the material (IMO).
Spoiler:
In the book, the Hound kills Polliver, not Arya. They are just speeding her down her dark path.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

didn't arya kill the tickler in that scene in the book?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I thought that in the book she basically stabbed him before he could get the hound who was entangled with someone else or something.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shmenguin wrote:didn't arya kill the tickler in that scene in the book?
I'm not there yet, but I think so just from some spoilers. Didn't she just stab him over and over asking the questions he asks people when torturing them?

The reason it's different, I think the Tickler was already killed in the show with one of her 3 kills.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Kaizer wrote:I didnt like old daario until i saw this guy, he just looks like 50 other characters now.
yeah, that's the biggest whiff from the episode. this actor brings nothing to the table. though i don't give 2 craps about that guy in the book, so whatever.
He looks how he was written now. Honestly though, they deviated so much from the minor details of the Denarys story that I don't care either about him or who is/isn't playing him.
wat? Daario is written as a guy who has a 3-pronged purple beard and an orange mustache.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Kaizer wrote:I didnt like old daario until i saw this guy, he just looks like 50 other characters now.
yeah, that's the biggest whiff from the episode. this actor brings nothing to the table. though i don't give 2 craps about that guy in the book, so whatever.
He looks how he was written now. Honestly though, they deviated so much from the minor details of the Denarys story that I don't care either about him or who is/isn't playing him.
wat? Daario is written as a guy who has a 3-pronged purple beard and an orange mustache.

yeah, I thought he was more "colorful" in the books and was surpised the show took him the opposite direction this season. When I heard they were changing actors, I expected a peacock to take his place.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Lena Headey.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Yay, only 80 new characters.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

"You gonna die for some chickens?" - "Someone is."

Excellent.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Gaucho wrote:Yay, only 80 new characters.
Aaaaaaaaaaand they're gone.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

re: the kids growing up

Like most of the viewers, I haven't read the books (and don't really intend to). So it doesn't seem like a big deal.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:re: the kids growing up

Like most of the viewers, I haven't read the books (and don't really intend to). So it doesn't seem like a big deal.
If they never allude to the fact that not much time has really gone by, I think they'll be ok. We can pretend it's been years.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:Maybe I'm getting old but that really isn't funny to me
that's cause South Park was last funny when........ hold on let me get back to you....... still checking...... still checking..... still checking.....
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

great debut episode. It's amazing looking back at the first season to now and noticing how much the production quality has changed with the sets, extras, cgi, etc...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:great debut episode. It's amazing looking back at the first season to now and noticing how much the production quality has changed with the sets, extras, cgi, etc...
Hopefully they eventually put some more money into the White Walkers who looked way too cartoony at the end of Season 2.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Funny you should mention that - production values. The premiere looked...different to me. Better cameras, lighting, makeup? It looked brighter(?), especially the scenes in King's Landing. Maybe because "the war is over" and it's royal wedding time?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Or HBO is giving them more money now. You
can really tell that all of season two's money went to the Blackwater episode. Things have been getting better since then, and as long as the popularity stays, the money will be there.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The Hound is a pretty awesome character.

I gather that we have seen the last of Arya offing people?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

columbia wrote:The Hound is a pretty awesome character.

I gather that we have seen the last of Arya offing people?
You should really read the books...even my boss likes them. ;)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

:slug:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The more I think about it, the one miss for me so far is the recast of Daario. Something about the previous actor irked me, but the new guy is generic and blends in with everyone else.

Not that they needed to make him look as ridiculous as he did in the books, but just making him some guy makes it kind of silly.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:The more I think about it, the one miss for me so far is the recast of Daario. Something about the previous actor irked me, but the new guy is generic and blends in with everyone else.

Not that they needed to make him look as ridiculous as he did in the books, but just making him some guy makes it kind of silly.
yeah, i hated the old daario because of how much of a tool bag he was, but at least i felt something. this new guy doesn't even seem confident or narcissistic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:The more I think about it, the one miss for me so far is the recast of Daario. Something about the previous actor irked me, but the new guy is generic and blends in with everyone else.

yeah, i hated the old daario because of how much of a tool bag he was, but at least i felt something. this new guy doesn't even seem confident or narcissistic.
I liked the old daario for the same reason you disliked him...or rather i thought he was a good fit for that character.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I liked the old daario for the same reason you disliked him...or rather i thought he was a good fit for that character.
Yeah, I never got the hate on old Daario. If anything, I thought he was too subtle compared to the books description of him.