George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by PensFanInDC »

And then when Theon kills him to take it for himself
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

And when Thoros finds Robb/Greywind sewn together and reanimates them?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Ned dies
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

And my personal favorite, the series ending.
Spoiler:
Ned wakes up in bed next to Cat and says "Honey... Honey, wake up. You won't believe the dream I just had..."
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3028606/how ... es-to-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Graves, the seasonal structure of the show changes up in season four. "The finale this season is the first real finale they’ve done," he says. "It’s not the model of episode nine as the big thing and episode 10 as the follow-up. This season, episode nine will be wonderful but the big one is episode 10. Episode 10 is the biggest episode ever made on that show and it is one shock after another."
Spoiler:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Martin is definitely dying before he ever finishes this series
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

A feast for crows is what happens when an editor doesn't keep an author reigned in and on basic deadlines.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

At this point, we pretty much have to accept that the show will get to the end before books. I'm not convinced that he will even finish in two books, only one of which has any chance of being out before the show reaches the endgame.

I think the show is actually going to be the best thing that happens to AFFC and ADWD. We're going to get a lot of the filler trimmed out, and now that D&D have the path for all of the characters, they can work towards the end knowing what stuff can be left out without affecting the outcome.

Frankly, Martin has only himself to blame. He could have been focusing on getting his books out instead of all these little side projects he's been doing.

Finish the gd story, THEN come back to the history stuff.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm perfectly happy finishing the series on tv rather than continuing the books to be honest.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:I'm perfectly happy finishing the series on tv rather than continuing the books to be honest.
Samesies.

Its what I'll probably do too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Ill both watch and read the rest of it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:Ill both watch and read the rest of it.
will you give me detailed descriptions of the differences between the two?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Probably not. I think TWC will do that before i get halfway through any of the books.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

thanks for thinking about.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Map of where everyone is in GoT.

Click on the + sign to see additional info.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/05/game- ... son-4-map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I didn't realize this until now, but I remember reading Martin's comments on AFFC and ADWD being combined, and how he still had to cut out more to be featured in the next book.

Apparently there were going to be several major battles, but he had to take them out because, you know, that would have been interesting. The battles are supposed to finally be in the new book. It's very apparent that they were leading up to several battles, but it never happened in the ADWD.

To get to my point, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next couple seasons, some content from the new book leaks into the show, specifically the alluded battles.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah, I think at least one of those battles will be at the end of next season, if not two. ADWD leads up to both of those and then just ends... can't see the show leaving those out; if they are going with the 7 season plan, that means they have to cover all of what would be book 6 during season 6, and there are almost certainly more battles as that book goes along.

I'm assuming that a lot of the "travelogues" from AFFC/ADWD will be eliminated, with characters largely showing up at their destinations. I'm not overly sad about that. What will really be interesting is to see what characters are cast... that will tell us a lot about the direction they're going.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I have serious doubts that they'd advance the show past the books. The end of season 7 will be the end of book 6.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:I have serious doubts that they'd advance the show past the books. The end of season 7 will be the end of book 6.
I completely disagree. Martin has shared the outline of everything with the writers. HBO supposedly wants 7 seasons, and they aren't going to just stop without finishing the story to appease Martin.

They are already going to be through all/most of some of the characters' book story lines by the end of this season... so they are going to start getting into new material next season already. I expect them to heavily trim AFFC/ADWD and basically finish them out by the end of season, probably getting into at LEAST the material that was planned for ADWD and pushed to the beginning of TWOW. They could drag things out to give Martin time... and that would be suicide for the show, so don't count on it.

There is zero chance of HBO taking a year off to give Martin time to finish the books. There's not even any logical reason to suggest that it would matter given Martin's inability to get books out within any kind of reasonable time frame. It's not feasible from a show standpoint anyway... they are already going to have problems when their kid actors are in their 20s by season 7 (assuming they are still alive, of course).

I think we will ultimately get a "watered down"/streamlined version of everything that is left... and I am fine with it. If Martin ever finishes the books, we can spend a thousand pages reading about the fine details of every meal and each and every sigil that appears in a room, and fill in the fine details.

I'm not even convinced that martin will ever finish the books, to be honest.

IMO, the ONLY way the show doesn't finish the story before him is if one of two things occur:
1. Martin has really been writing both books in conjunction, and that is why it is taking so long (this is wishful thinking, IMO)
2. Martin successfully sues HBO to stop them from finishing his story (also unlikely - if Martin had any ground there, he wouldn't have given D&D the ending).

Martin has been talking about the Dunk and Egg stuff and what not, but that is a pipe dream, IMO. TV shows do not stop and have prequel seasons in the middle of their run. (I also don't believe this would be very popular outside of some of the book fans. People tuning in for Danerys, Tyrion, etc would b tuning out in droves. I don't even give a crap about that.)

It is possible if there is too much material that is deemed necessary remaining that the potential eighth season floated by Benioff before he backtracked and claimed the plan was always seven because seven kingdoms, the seven, etc. could come to fruition, but that seems like a longshot at this point, IMO. In that case, MAYBE he gets the 7th book out before that season airs, but I am still skeptical.

At the end of the day, this is HBO's big moneymaker, and is currently hugely popular. It is also super expensive. They aren't going to throw it away by spending 3 seasons on AFFC/ADWD, taking a year off, or doing prequel seasons. The way they are harping on the 7 number in interviews, we will get 7 seasons, with some version of the events Martin has laid out for D&D.

If something wacky happens and it doesn't go down that way, I'll eat crow, but it is not likely, IMO.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote: If something wacky happens and it doesn't go down that way, I'll eat crow, but it is not likely, IMO.
I see what you did there
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

IMO, no author of Martin's stature would allow his story to be presented on TV before he's put it to paper. If hbo tries to do that, it's going to be an ugly scene. Maybe they'll get the loose outline of book 7 on TV, but it's not going to have martins approval. Or his publishers, who own more of an intellectual right to the story than hbo does.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Of course it will be an outline because Martin won't release book 7 until 2020 or later. :pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Sopranos had longer than usual hiatuses so David Chase could finish writing scripts, so there is a precedent for HBO. I've heard that the child actors are an issue in delaying the series, but the Sopranos had A.J. and Meadow...so...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The child actors are already past the point of being problematic on GoT.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

shmenguin wrote:IMO, no author of Martin's stature would allow his story to be presented on TV before he's put it to paper. If hbo tries to do that, it's going to be an ugly scene. Maybe they'll get the loose outline of book 7 on TV, but it's not going to have martins approval. Or his publishers, who own more of an intellectual right to the story than hbo does.
I don't know, if he cared one way or the other maybe he would really see the show as the locomotive pushing him to finish the series--his side projects indicate he's fine with side stepping the train and letting it take his work to completion. I think Martin will be heavily involved in the final season anyway, so it's not like it won't be his vision. I trust the writers to squeeze a great story out of him in the end.