Formula 1 thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Formula 1 thread

Post by CBear3 »

Vettel pulls in the pits and they mention the engine sounding like a bag of bolts. Wife looks at me and asks how try can tell the difference (obviously she's the funny one).
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Ricciardo Disqualified
9) The FIA technical representative observed thought the telemetry during the race that the fuel flow was too high and contacted the team, giving them the opportunity to follow his previous instruction, and reduce the fuel flow such that it was within the limit, as measured by the homologated sensor – and thus gave the team the opportunity to be within compliance. The team chose not to make this correction.
Gutted for the guy, hopefully they'll win on appeal. It's not like he had some advantage, he was clearly holding up the cars behind him.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Well, I have to say that I actually enjoyed the race quite a lot.... provided the camera was only on wide shots. ;)

F1 2014 - great fun to watch, downright painful to look at.

Absolutely gutted for Ricciardo. Since this rules package was announced, I've had a hard time reconciling the need for both a limit on fuel capacity and on the flow rate of the fuel into the engine. It seems to me that either one or the other would be sufficient, and having both is just introducing a variable into the equation, both from a technical execution point of view for the teams, and from a regulatory enforcement perspective for the FIA.

The biggest problem for Red Bull - and why I think their appeal will be rejected, the historic failure of such appeals notwithstanding - is that the FIA instructed them about the issue on Friday and Saturday, and Red Bull basically said, "Oh, you and your silly measure thingy..." and went into the race with a sensor the FIA had specifically told them to not use.

It really sucks for Ricciardo, because this is 100% out of his control. Ordinarily, I'd just say dock RBR their constructors points for the race and give Ricciardo a 5-spot grid penalty in Malaysia. However, after reading into this a bit it seems that he would have derived a competitive advantage over this flow irregularity; something to do with the way the ERS systems work with the ICE - it's hideously complicated, but it could be argued that he was only where he was (both in quals and the race) because his car was running a dodgy fuel flow rate.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Also, I was utterly amazed at how quiet these cars were. I cut my teeth as a motor racing fan in F1s turbo era, and the halcyon days of CART and Champ Car (which always ran turbocharged motors). They were not quiet machines by a long shot. But the new breed of F1 cars are so quiet that when drivers locked a wheel, you could actually hear the tire squeal as the rubber dragged along the road surface. I've stood 30 feet from cars mid-lockup and not heard the tire squeal over the engine noise.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

On some of the onboards it was really easy to pick out the ERS motor whining as it spooled the turbo, rather than the exhaust note.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Sigh............
[youtube][/youtube]
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Sent that to a buddy on Facebook that insists the new cars a great. He's a huge RBR hater and trumpeting the new cars because to him it makes the sport more interesting.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:Also, I was utterly amazed at how quiet these cars were. I cut my teeth as a motor racing fan in F1s turbo era, and the halcyon days of CART and Champ Car (which always ran turbocharged motors). They were not quiet machines by a long shot. But the new breed of F1 cars are so quiet that when drivers locked a wheel, you could actually hear the tire squeal as the rubber dragged along the road surface. I've stood 30 feet from cars mid-lockup and not heard the tire squeal over the engine noise.
Agreed. Back in high school I drove up on Sunday to attend the CART race at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, and the 2.65 L turbo V8s they were running back then were much louder (and better sounding) than the F1 engines in that video.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Burke Lakefront always put on a great race. I think it was '95 that was absolutely epic.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Andretti, Villenueve, & Gordon driving like mad men.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's official: Daniel Ricciardo: Red Bull appeal against disqualification
The Australian, 24, was excluded because his car was using more fuel than allowed and his team refused to reduce the flow when informed.

Red Bull say the fuel-flow meters provided by the sport's governing body, the FIA, had shown "inconsistencies" and that they and engine supplier Renault believe they were in "full compliance".
No appeal date has yet been set.
They had 96 hours to appeal following the announcement of the exclusion, and they apparently just got the appeal filed in time.

I put their probability of success at <0.5%.
dodint wrote:Sent that to a buddy on Facebook that insists the new cars a great. He's a huge RBR hater and trumpeting the new cars because to him it makes the sport more interesting.
I'm convinced that there is a subliminal effect as well that makes the cars visually appear slower, even tho in Melbourne they were something like 5 km/h quicker through the speed traps over last year.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

And anyone who says that the sound of a racing car is unimportant has never seen this:
[youtube][/youtube]
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Or this:
[youtube][/youtube]

Edit: These are supposedly the cars featured in this commercial:

1955 Ferrari 555 - 2.5L inline-4
1965 Ferrari 512 F1 - 1.5L flat-12
1667 Ferrari 312 - 3.0L V-12
1970 Ferrari 312B - 3.0L flat-12
1988 Ferrari F300 - 3.0L V-10
2003 Ferrari F2003-GA - 3.0L V-10
2006 Ferrari 248 F1 - 2.3L V-8
Last edited by Shyster on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

8-) :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Ayrton Senna would have been 54 today...

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Tape delay GP on NBCSN right now.

The car sounds like a glorified lawnmower from cockpit view.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I DVR'd it and watched it when I woke up. Lots of good midfield action in that, but I won't comment on anything until tomorrow or so.

They sound like 4-stroke dirt bikes to me.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Really entertaining race at Bahrain.

-Glad E.Gutierrez is okay.
-Was hoping Hamilton would take out Rosberg with neither scoring points. It'll happen with time.
-I think the announcers/media are making a bigger deal about Ricciardo scoring better than Vettel. Vettel was asked to move over for Ricciardo because Vettel was slower, he was on the hard tire and didn't have DRS, while Ricciardo had both. It isn't an Alonso/Massa situation.
-Vettel needs to qualify better, not making it to Q3 put him off the podium.
-Congrats to Force India, shame for McLaren.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Only saw after the Gutierrez safety car.
Main take away from the race: Luca must be crapping his pants. Dream driver lineup and the car is an absolute turd. I love Alonso, but I have to admit that seeing Ferrari struggle has its positives (sorry tifosi)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Biggest surprise of this young week...... Stefano Domenicali 'quitting' Ferrari, or Red Bull losing their appeal on Ricciardo's DQ from Oz?

I would assert that both were inevitable.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Didnt' Stefano leave in the middle of the race last week? I think Will Buxton caught him in the parking lot for a really awkward interview.

IRT Red Bull, I really hope they get to their game soon and take it to Mercedes before it's too late. Seb not getting out of Q2 really stuffed that weekend.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

That would have been something if Stefano had left early; he's (or was) the team boss. I know Luca Montezemolo bailed on like lap 2 - he's the presnit of all things Ferrari, and is not known for being cheap with his emotions.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of. Sorry. I'm not a Ferrari fan so it's hard to keep all those vowels in order. ;) I will say that Ferrari has sucked long enough now that I feel bad for them. When I started watching F1 Ferrari was dominant to the point that the F in FIA was for Ferrari, and that was when Todt was still with the team. Now they're just mid-pack runners with Alonso quietly wasting away the end of his career. Pity.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

yeah, what he said.

It's a pity to see Fred toiling away the last of his championship caliber years there.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

He/they should have won the title in 2010, but they pooped it away in the final race in Abu Dhabi with a dodgy pit call. Since then, they've delivered one crapwagon after another. There hasn't been a driving talent this badly wasted since Jean Alesi reneged on his Williams contract prior to the 1991 season and went to the Scuderia for five useless seasons, including one where the team scored 28 (two-eight) constructors points.