George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

People like stannis?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Martin is clearly delusional and there's no way the show goes on a hiatus of any kind. HBO paid Martin his money and will do what's in the best interest of their property. Martin's inability to write things in a timely manner isn't their problem, its his.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I need to read the version that puts feast and dance in chronological order but from what I there isn't nearly as much material as even clash if kings had. I think storm of swords could have been done well in 10 episodes but not 8. We have 24 episodes to show what's left in what has been written. That's probably plenty seeing that there is a lot of worthless filler in feast.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:People like stannis?
Yes... there are quite a few and they are certifiable... moreso than your average fantasy geek. Also, they apparently are nicknamed "Stan Stans" which is just about the worst nickname I've ever heard not uttered by Steigerwald... yet that also makes it somehow fitting.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:People like stannis?
Yes... there are quite a few and they are certifiable... moreso than your average fantasy geek. Also, they apparently are nicknamed "Stan Stans" which is just about the worst nickname I've ever heard not uttered by Steigerwald... yet that also makes it somehow fitting.
To be fair, Melissandre is the only real sane person in the story. Well, her and the entire Night's Watch.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The Vanity Fair article mentions that Martin would like to see HBO do a prequel season with Dunk and Egg or maybe a Targaryen season, to give him more time to finish the books. I've enjoyed the 3 Dunk and Egg novellas, and they certainly could make sense as a series, but I don't know how fans would take a prequel in the middle of the series.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yeah, that seems like poor business sense.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

99% of the people I know who watch the shows have either never read the books or are like me and gave up on reading the books because of a variety of reasons. Fans of the show are invested in the storylines from the show and characters from the show. A prequel in the middle of everything would be disastrous for HBO's purposes.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i think i'd actually be pretty pumped about a prequel that covered the uprising against targaryens. you'd bring ned and robert back, you'd have the battle against the iron islands...and you could end the season as ned's sister gives birth to raegar junior (aka jon snow) :wink:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

That might be interesting, but not in the middle of the current show. No matter how good of a job they did on it, they would lose viewers who wanted to see Tyrion, Danerys, etc.

And at most they would buy Martin one year. I'm not convinced that he will even wrap things up in 2 books tbh.

And that doesn't address the major concerns of the child actors growing up.

I've also seen comments regarding potentially needing to renegotiate contracts after 7 seasons, which makes an 8th potentially much more expensive, which I'm sure they want to avoid if true.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
i think i'd actually be pretty pumped about a prequel that covered the uprising against targaryens. you'd bring ned and robert back, you'd have the battle against the iron islands...and you could end the season as ned's sister gives birth to raegar junior (aka jon snow) :wink:
Wow, maybe not an official spoiler but wow.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yet another new trailer, though this one is currently only on FB to my knowledge: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 2&theater#

Lots of new stuff in there.

Just repeating myself at this point... but damn this season is going to be good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Your erection for this series is world class.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Yet another new trailer, though this one is currently only on FB to my knowledge: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 2&theater#

Lots of new stuff in there.

Just repeating myself at this point... but damn this season is going to be good.
Storm of Swords was an excellent book. It's translating well to TV.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

this guy has pretty good GoT-related videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/emergencyawesome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he's awesome at breaking down the new trailers and figuring out what's what.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

SoS spoiler
Spoiler:
So do we find out that Tywin Lannister does not in fact not **** gold this season?
That might be my favorite line of the entire series
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:SoS spoiler
Spoiler:
So do we find out that Tywin Lannister does not in fact not **** gold this season?
my guess would be episode 9. that's their typical "OMG" episode. it's going to be a weird sequence on the show...there's going to be a lot of stuff from book 4 that happens before the final events of book 3.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
my guess would be episode 9. that's their typical "OMG" episode. it's going to be a weird sequence on the show...there's going to be a lot of stuff from book 4 that happens before the final events of book 3.
Agree that's how Episode 9 will end. Then...
Spoiler:
I think we wrap up Tyrion's escape from King's Landing and then the last we see is the attack at the Wall where Stannis rides in since that will set up the next season well.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Spoiler:
Agree that's how Episode 9 will end. Then...
Spoiler:
I think we wrap up Tyrion's escape from King's Landing and then the last we see is the attack at the Wall where Stannis rides in since that will set up the next season well.
the more i think about it, i wouldn't be surprised if they swapped your episodes 9 and 10.
Spoiler:
i don't think they'd end the season on a big battle, so that will be the last half of episode 9. then episode 10 ends with tyrion killing tywin and jon snow becoming leader of the night's watch (also little finger pushing crazy pants out the window). if they extended tyrion's story past the moment he leaves kings landing, they'd have to have their cast in place for his next arc - which is impractical. and they wouldn't just leave him out of the finale all together. so i think his big event has to come at episode 10.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

"It all depends on how long the main series runs. Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know."

The best-selling author said another big-screen possibility being considered is one based on Tales of Dunk and Egg, a series of three prequel novellas Martin penned that revolve around a group of characters, including Ser Duncan the Tall, who lived in the mythical Westeros 90 years before the events depicted in A Song of Ice and Fire.

"They could be the basis for [a film]," Martin added at the post-premiere bash held at the Museum of Natural History, where a suspended giant whale cast a shadow over the crowd not unlike one of Martin's dragons. "I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more."

Martin says the prequel characters are the direct ancestors of some of Game of Thrones' players, but he wouldn't reveal how they relate.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... -by-689629

so he has about a dozen more Dunk and Egg stories to get to as well...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Episode 8-10
Spoiler:
8 will be trial by combat
9 will likely focus mostly all on the battle at the Wall. It is confirmed that Neil Marshall is directing said episode and the battle.
Episode 10 - Tyrion is freed and wreaks havoc on his way out of King's Landing
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Book 4 is pretty much out of my head now, I honestly can't remember much at all. can someone sum up the major parts for me in a couple sentences?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Martin says the prequel characters are the direct ancestors of some of Game of Thrones' players, but he wouldn't reveal how they relate.
That's not exactly a secret:
Spoiler:
There are strong indications that Brienne of Tarth is the descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall. Not only does she act like him, but in A Dance with Dragons she has her shield painted to match an old shield she remembered seeing in her father's armory. That shield was painted with a shooting star over an elm tree, which was the personal arms of Dunk. Egg, of course, is Aegon V and thus the ancestor of every Targaryen seen in later books. The first story featured the then-current lords Lannister, Tyrrell, and Baratheon, who presumably would be the ancestors of the current families. And Walder Frey—as a squalling, disagreeable baby—makes an appearance in the third story.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:Book 4 is pretty much out of my head now, I honestly can't remember much at all. can someone sum up the major parts for me in a couple sentences?
http://towerofthehand.com/books/104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have at it... :P
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Book 4 is pretty much out of my head now, I honestly can't remember much at all. can someone sum up the major parts for me in a couple sentences?
http://towerofthehand.com/books/104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have at it... :P
That book took up way too much of my life to go through a chapter by chapter summary at this point in my existence. In a sentence or two, could someone give me something (I want the spoilers).