GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by eddysnake »

4 pitchers of hopslam, Monday night, oh boy, so good
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

buddy gave me a bottle of Founders Imperial Stout. Very excited for this one.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I was pleased to see Packs and Dogs carried Simon Gurty. I was less pleased to see its price. Yeeeesh.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

finally got some Southern Tier 2xOne. 1 malt, 1 hops and they are changing the pairing every year. This is mosaic hops and special pale malt. I'm not sure if I've tasted something like this, definitely reminds me a bit of GL Alchemy Hour. Wasn't sure how many I could sit down and drink, but it definitely grows on your palate and at 8.1% it packs a punch.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

For Shaf, in case you don't already know:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/weis-ma ... 292e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

got a nice linuep for tonight:

Founders Imperial Stout
Founders Porter (which is becoming my favorite porter along with Eddy Fitz)
Troegs Javahad
Bells Hopslam
Victory Dirt Wolf
ST 2Xone
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Any good bottle shops in lawrenceville?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I don't know about bottleshops, but you have Hop Farm and Roundabout, both which will let you sample all their beer and buy growlers... just a bit past Church brew Works you can find Arsenal Cider House which does the same, but with cider.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I guess Lawrenceville no longer specializes in artisanal heroin.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

columbia wrote:I guess Lawrenceville no longer specializes in artisanal heroin.
They may, but they have some pretty good local breweries to boot.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Its like, one day a bunch of young people decided that for some god awful reason that lawrenceville was a desirable place to live and recreate. if anyone can explain how this happened, this gentleman would is all ears.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

A friend recently moved away from there to a cheaper apartment in Friendship. That doesn't compute.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Make your own Black and Tan:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1175142 ... p-header-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Its like, one day a bunch of young people decided that for some god awful reason that lawrenceville was a desirable place to live and recreate. if anyone can explain how this happened, this gentleman would is all ears.
Because its extremely close to town, has a lot of well-priced and sized housing for 20-35 year olds, and Butler Street was, and now is again, a solid anchor for commercial/retail.

Stick to the boonies marsupial.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Victory dirt Wolf is awesome, reminds me a lot of head Hunter
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Factorial wrote:Make your own Black and Tan:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1175142 ... p-header-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that's cheating. Part of the beauty of the black and tan is being able to layer the black on top of the tan.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

JS© wrote:
Factorial wrote:Make your own Black and Tan:

that's cheating. Part of the beauty of the black and tan is being able to layer the black on top of the tan.
My bent spoon approves that the real deal is the shibbitz.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

slappybrown wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Because its extremely close to town, has a lot of well-priced and sized housing for 20-35 year olds, and Butler Street was, and now is again, a solid anchor for commercial/retail.
Stick to the boonies marsupial.
Yeah, but if any of them choose to pair off and breed, I hope they can afford private schools.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

The prestigious halls of Arsenal don't do it for you?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone ever try hoppin' frog : boris the crusher oatmeal imperial stout? Saw a bomber at ge and never heard of the stuff
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Not a Saison fan, but picked up a bottle of this Saturday from the "Single Bottle Only per Purchase" rack. Still not a fan of sour beer, but this was good. Gonna stop and grab another this week unless they are all gone.

For those of you that love a Saison, please let me know if this is in the wheelhouse as to what the style should taste like.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/salesmateri ... index.html
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

slappybrown wrote:Its like, one day a bunch of young people decided that for some god awful reason that lawrenceville was a desirable place to live and recreate. if anyone can explain how this happened, this gentleman would is all ears.

Stick to the boonies marsupial.[/quote]

Notwithstanding mr. browns inflamitory and nonsensical comments about kenny the kangaroo sticking to the boonies, this gentleman would like to make the following points:

1.) Although it is indeed extremely close to town, and this gentleman has zero experience commuting from lawrenceville into town, it seems hard to believe that a commute down butler, penn, or liberty would be very pleasant. Shorter than most? Yep. Congested? Probably. But kenny the kangaroo will admit this is purely speculation.

2.) Even if its close to town, its a pain in the arse to get to/from lawrenceville from pretty much anywhere else. And if your quick/easy solution to get somewhere is route 28, then god have mercy on your soul.

3.) The housing stock is cheaper than the housing stock on the souf side. But the housing stock on both the souf side and in lawrenceville stinks regardless of price. And this gentleman isnt referring to the homes in disrepair, its more about the fact that the houses just arent that attractive.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I had a bottle of it at Caliente, and I thought it was "okay" for a saison. Apart from the dryness, I did not find it to be very representative of the style. Perhaps closer to some of the fruitier saisons, like, say North Coast Le Merle, for example. But even in comparison to Le Merle, it does not really smell like a saison. No grass, pepper, funk. I guess it smells maybe more like a tripel.

If the frame of reference is it being something other than a saison, I probably like it a bit more. For example, I liked it better than some of the sweeter tripels out there like Weyerbacher Merry Monk or something. That's probably because I did get a smoked wood flavor, and that was nice. This could make for a good wild ale, I think. Be curious to see what it'd be like with some brett flavor. Maybe I'll mix it with a Rayon Vert or something.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote: Notwithstanding mr. browns inflamitory and nonsensical comments about kenny the kangaroo sticking to the boonies, this gentleman would like to make the following points:

1.) Although it is indeed extremely close to town, and this gentleman has zero experience commuting from lawrenceville into town, it seems hard to believe that a commute down butler, penn, or liberty would be very pleasant. Shorter than most? Yep. Congested? Probably. But kenny the kangaroo will admit this is purely speculation.

2.) Even if its close to town, its a pain in the arse to get to/from lawrenceville from pretty much anywhere else. And if your quick/easy solution to get somewhere is route 28, then god have mercy on your soul.

3.) The housing stock is cheaper than the housing stock on the souf side. But the housing stock on both the souf side and in lawrenceville stinks regardless of price. And this gentleman isnt referring to the homes in disrepair, its more about the fact that the houses just arent that attractive.
Its 10 minutes. Shorter during non-rush hour depending where in Lawrenceville you are.

I don't see why its hard to get anywhere. If we accept that downtown provides the most convenient way to access other parts of PGH metro, then why would a neighborhood that's two miles away be difficult to get to?

If you're going north, go to the 16th st bridge if you want to avoid 28 and youre in the North Side connecting to 279.

If you want to go south, head into town and be on the Fort Pitt Bridge in 10 minutes.

If you want to go East, you're there already.

IF YOURE GOING TO THE MON VALLEY DONT BOTHER DXCHOP SUCK IT JOOCE/CANAAN DOT BMP

The south side has many very nice and very recently restored homes. I have no idea how the stock compares to Lawrenceville.

If you don't like row houses then you're not going to like living in 70% of the houses in the city.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Your travel logistics are overply simplistic. Thats like saying, "oh, I live in beechview. If I think the traffic on liberty ave will suck, then I can just take the fort pitt tunnel instead! because they are both closeby!!!" without acknowledging that both options suck. or better yet, arguing that oakland, especially north oakland, has easy access to the parkway.

but at the end of the day, we can agree to disagree, as long as you apologize for your boonie comments.