George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by newarenanow »

I'm finally getting into new territory in the books. Just finished the chapter where the Red Viper comes into town.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/benio ... right-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like they are pretty set on 7 seasons. So in an amusing twist, all of the book readers that liked to spoil the story for the tv viewers will have the story spoiled by the show. There is maybe a chance that the 6th book gets released before material airs on the show, but none for the final book.

I think I'm ok with that. I'd prefer to read the books without knowing what's going to happen, but in a way it will also make the future seasons of the show more exciting not knowing what is going to happen.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Unless you go live in the wilderness for the next 10 years, there is no way a book reader will be able to escape the spoiler galore...the Red Wedding was literally plastered all over the internet/front pages of newspapers, I can only imagine how big its going to be when **** starts hitting the fan in seasons 6 and 7.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I honestly didnt encounter red wedding stuff anywhere i wasnt looking for it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I still don't quite understand the plan. Season 4 looks like it has elements from books 1-4. You'll need another season and a half or so to get though book 5 and another season and a half (probably) to get through book 6. So I think the plan is to basically cut the show where book 6 ends. I don't think there's enough time to incorporate anything from the future book 7 into the show nor does it seem like something an author would allow.

My bet is that they try to bring everyone back a few years after cut to make one final season. Or maybe a couple movies, depending on who has rights. And season 6/book 6 will have enough of a bang to seem like a closing point.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

There will be elements of book 5 in this season... particularly with Bran and Daenerys at least. Depending on how much they consolidate, they could well be into 6th book material in season 5, especially for some of the characters.

I think they're going to take what they heard from Martin in regards to each character's fate and build a plan from there. I'm going to assume that we get an extremely "lite" version of the plot from the last 2 books. We'll probably see a lot of the extraneous characters that aren't necessarily crucial to the overall story cut.

It won't necessarily "ruin" the books as there will ultimately still be a lot of extra material not touched on by the show, but the general direction of the plot will probably be inline with what plays out.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I should also add that 7 seasons does feel light to me with the amount of material left, but I guess if they know the direction things are heading, they could cut material that ultimately has no bearing on the outcome.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:There will be elements of book 5 in this season... particularly with Bran and Daenerys at least. Depending on how much they consolidate, they could well be into 6th book material in season 5, especially for some of the characters.

I think they're going to take what they heard from Martin in regards to each character's fate and build a plan from there. I'm going to assume that we get an extremely "lite" version of the plot from the last 2 books. We'll probably see a lot of the extraneous characters that aren't necessarily crucial to the overall story cut.

It won't necessarily "ruin" the books as there will ultimately still be a lot of extra material not touched on by the show, but the general direction of the plot will probably be inline with what plays out.
i think it would taint book 7 to close the series on TV before it's in print. whether it's light or not, you're still spoiling the ultimate conclusion for each character.

and if the show closes things out one way, and the books do it a different way, then everything's tainted.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

What is the URL for the Sparks Notes/Cliff's notes version of Song of Ice and Fire? I've read them all, but it's now been 3+ years...I would love to reread them again, but life is just too short to re-read old books.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

towerofthehand has chapter summaries. They only have like 14 for ADWD though.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

There's a lot they can streamline for TV in Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons. If they showed everything it would be extremely boring on the screen. I like the idea of leaving a cliffhanger after Winds of Winter which should be season 7 and then doing a movie or two for the last book.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I'm glad to see they're going with a hard end date for the series. There's no way they can drag the series out until Martin finishes the final books. It would end up being the longest running television show in history.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

the simpsons?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I haven't been following the future books progress. Are they going to release both around the same time, or is it going to be like anohter 10 years between book 6 and 7.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I get the impression that 6 isn't going to be done till next year. I assume he hasn't done much with 7 yet.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I think the general rule of thumb is to take Martin's estimated finish and add like 10 years to it. Would it surprise anyone if the last two books ended up being split again?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:What is the URL for the Sparks Notes/Cliff's notes version of Song of Ice and Fire? I've read them all, but it's now been 3+ years...I would love to reread them again, but life is just too short to re-read old books.
You could watch the 1/2 hour recap of season 3. :slug:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Speaking of which...

[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/guide.html is what I was referring to earlier, but I was on my phone at the time so I couldn't provide a link.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I need a podcast for each of the books so far. :lol:

But thanks for the link. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Episode 5 title has been revealed: The First of His Name
Spoiler:
I'm assuming this is the coronation of Tommen.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

So apparently Martin is delusional?
The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crowsand A Dance with Dragons. A Dance with Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.
Full article is here: http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/ ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of a stark contrast to what D&D said earlier this week. They will likely be through most of Book 4&5 by the end of next season, probably even getting into new material with some of the characters.

Any talk of prequel seasons or hiatuses are fantasy, IMO... HBO isn't going to risk letting their golden goose get away. I think at best we get something like The Sopranos where they film an extra long final season and split it into two parts. Joe Shmoe sitting at home doesn't care about Dunk and Egg... and frankly, neither do I in regards to the show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Also, this is a fun little video if you have 5 minutes to kill... D&D talking about how they came to adapt ASOIAF, narrated by Charles Dance.

[youtube][/youtube]
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:So apparently Martin is delusional?
The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crowsand A Dance with Dragons. A Dance with Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.
Full article is here: http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/ ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of a stark contrast to what D&D said earlier this week. They will likely be through most of Book 4&5 by the end of next season, probably even getting into new material with some of the characters.

Any talk of prequel seasons or hiatuses are fantasy, IMO... HBO isn't going to risk letting their golden goose get away. I think at best we get something like The Sopranos where they film an extra long final season and split it into two parts. Joe Shmoe sitting at home doesn't care about Dunk and Egg... and frankly, neither do I in regards to the show.
There's clearly already stuff from book 4 in this season. He's either great at playing dumb or is shockingly disconnected from the show. And if they stretched the remaining parts of books 4 and 5 out to 3 seasons , that's a pretty junky show right there.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It will be interesting when Season 5 casting news starts trickling out... should tell us a lot about how deep the cuts will go.

On an unrelated note, it is frustrating trying to find places to discuss this series online w/o running into a bunch of overreacting book fans that are irate about every little detail... Stannis fans appear to be the absolute worst. I saw somebody make a comment that a two second clip from a trailer with zero context was "more character assassination". :face:
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the wicked child wrote:It will be interesting when Season 5 casting news starts trickling out... should tell us a lot about how deep the cuts will go.

On an unrelated note, it is frustrating trying to find places to discuss this series online w/o running into a bunch of overreacting book fans that are irate about every little detail... Stannis fans appear to be the absolute worst. I saw somebody make a comment that a two second clip from a trailer with zero context was "more character assassination". :face:
Yeah I usually rage quit those kinds of places. mainly the Westeros website. I'm a big fan of the books, but a lot of the changes that were made for the show were understandable to me.

There's no way I can see the show going on hiatus more multiple reasons. All the children of the show are growing super fast as it is. The girl who plays Arya is already starting to be as tall as some older characters.