GM meetings in FLA.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Post by MRandall25 »

Great58 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

*cough* Craig Anderson *cough*

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.
Goalies will pitch a fit over player safety if you try to further reduce their pads. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that there would be strong opposition to overcome. And the NHL has proven it can't enforce the rulebook as it's written on any consistent basis. It can't get out of it's own way when it comes to highlighting the games best players.
Reducing pad size =/= reducing protection. Just shrink them. Make them fit better to the body. There are goalies who take up like 1.5x more net because of the size of their upper body pads. It's ridiculous.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

MRandall25 wrote:
Great58 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.
Goalies will pitch a fit over player safety if you try to further reduce their pads. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that there would be strong opposition to overcome. And the NHL has proven it can't enforce the rulebook as it's written on any consistent basis. It can't get out of it's own way when it comes to highlighting the games best players.
Reducing pad size =/= reducing protection. Just shrink them. Make them fit better to the body. There are goalies who take up like 1.5x more net because of the size of their upper body pads. It's ridiculous.
I don't disagree, but that was the argument with the last round of equipment changes, and you can see how minor those really were.
Bigger goals is the path of less resistance.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I would like to see the bubble nets just in overtime that is all. It doesn't really "change the game" its going to be hockey players passing, shooting, checking blocking shots, power plays etc. I just don't see 3 players taking penalty shots as a success outcome to a hard fought game. And no its not hockey, not in my book. 3 on 3 is more hockey than a shootout.

Well let me explain it better, I personally don't feel like we\I\Pens won or lost a game after the OT period. We didn't win the game, we tied and got the extra point in the Shootout. But don't call it a win, call it a tie and Pittsburgh earned the extra point. In the 90s people left a tie game with 5 minutes left in regulation cause it was a guarented tie.

But the most important thing is and should be focused on . It has to be exciting to keep the fans in their seats. The shootout (as much as I don't like it) it does keep people in their seats til the end of the game.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Sorry to follow my own post but I seen a interesting stat. In the second period with the "long change" 40% of the goals are scored. SO I would assume 30% in the 1st and 30% in the 3rd.

SO what is stopping them from switching this?? 1st and 3rd period are the long change. Logic would say right now 100 goals are scored 40 in the second and 30 in the first 30 in the third. seems if you switch 40 in the first and 3rd and 30 in the second for 110 goals. Just raises the overall goals around the league.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

100% agree. I'm tired of watching size medium guys wear size XXL equipment. Anderson is a prime example. he's listed at 6'2" 180 but if you guessed how much he weighed looking at him in gear you'd probably guess 225 or more. NHL goalies aren't wearing oversized gear for protection and any goalie that says they are is flat-out lying.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

Total stalker moment. Anyone know where in Boca the GM's are meeting? I actually work in Boca Raton. I'll go visit RS on lunch and share our concerns with him. :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

no name wrote:GO badk to 5 minutes of 5 on 5, goalies only get glove blocker helmet and their cup while wearing a "blueman suit" with their team logo on it. or while they resurface the ice goalies must change their pads to the old mylec pads one standard size for all goalies.
Spoiler:

If you don't like that idea just change the net to this. To be honest this is about how extreem you would have to go to get the results the NHL wants. End more games in OT just switch the nets nothing else and you got real hockey with mega nets so the game ends.
Make the goalies wear these: Image
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

How about instead of a shootout you have 3 on 1 drills. Say 3 rushes for each team. That way you have more players involved and the deeper teams would be rewarded. No player can particpate again in the 3 on 1 drills until all other players on the team have gone.