Stroumboulopoulos

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Stroumboulopoulos

Post by canaan »

All Hail!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Stroumboulopoulos

Post by Idoit40fans »

I know why they picked him...it the length of his...
Spoiler:
name.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Idoit40fans wrote:I know why they picked him...it the length of his...
Spoiler:
name.
Just trying to confuse Don Cherry. Now back to George Stromboloctopus.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Strombopobopolous
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

It will be interesting... some new blood, and a passionate follower of the game.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Rogers Sportsnet is terrible in almost every way. I was concerned when I learned it would become a central factor in the future of hockey in Canada.

I think Strombo is a terrible, terrible choice. It is very much a corporate focus group kind of pick. He appeals to a very broad, especially female, audience.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I find it hard to believe there is a George Stroumboulopoulos and George Stephanopoulos that are fairly relevant in North America. Is George a favorite first name of you feta-eaters out there?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

George is definitely big in the Greek name bank.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Its pretty popular. Not as unique as a "matt" but whatevs
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Desiato wrote:Rogers Sportsnet is terrible in almost every way. I was concerned when I learned it would become a central factor in the future of hockey in Canada.

I think Strombo is a terrible, terrible choice. It is very much a corporate focus group kind of pick. He appeals to a very broad, especially female, audience.
Stombo is a HUGE hockey fan (esp. Habs) and brings some some name recognition with him. I'm sure he was high on the list to begin with.

As far as Sportsnet's coverage goes, Marek has been working with a pretty limited budget this far. With that budget about the skyrocket, I'd expect production value to go way up.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Metalmike »

George used to be the host of a weekly metal show on Muchmusic called Loud. He was terrible cause he knows nothing about the genre/bands. Now this? He's not the right choice but we got used to him all over TV for years now here in Canada, I guess this is his next failure. Just my Canadian opinion.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It seems like Ron and Don will stick together (it was a combination of sick and sad, thinking about Ron and Don not being part of my Saturday nights) and Strombo will do most of the hosting and I guess Jeff Marek as well...

From what little I know about Strombo, it seems like he's a good interviewer...but can be a good host? I'm guessing he won't have to babysit the extremely awkward and incredibly dense P.J. Stock or the insufferable Glenn Healy...I wouldn't mind if Weekes remained on board, he's improved a lot in small role and he knows that P.J. and Glenn are full of it...Elliotte Friedman is one of the better insiders out there and he's well connected and makes a lot of good points (he also knows that P.J., especially, is full of it and appears to snicker and roll his eyes any time P.J. says anything...that or furrow his brow in attempt to understand what the hell P.J. is talking about)...the issue with Elliotte is that he's not host material, he can't take on a lion's share of the spotlight as he's not extremely comfortable being on camera...

Ron was the perfect host for HNIC and that crew and he did and is doing a wonderful job...Sportsnet has proven that it cannot get any talent in the past and they put on an average show at best...like I've said before, their best spot seems to be Friday Night Hockey with R.J. Broadhead and Sam Cosentino...everything else sucks noodles pretty much...hopefully that changes, but I remain skeptical...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I thought they were leaving HNIC on CBC and taking the rest?
I guess not.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think they are...but they're still foxing around with it...I read some details yesterday, but forgot about them just that quickly...
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

THN wrote:"From next year on, the content of that show, whatever features are being done, that's a Rogers responsibility and you know what, it's kind of fair, they just paid $5.2 billion for 12 years for that," CBC president Hubert Lacroix said following the announcement.

He outlined the shift in an internal memo to staff, noting that "starting next year, Rogers will assume all editorial control (all editorial decisions with respect to the content, on-air talent and the creative direction of HNIC—we have the right to be consulted and there is a commitment to excellence) under the new agreement."
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/5 ... -deal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wikipedia wrote:As for the on-air makeup of the Hockey Night broadcasts, Rogers management has said that reviews of content and production will take place in the months leading up to the launch of the consortium. The review will include retaining and sharing of personnel (including announcers) and ancillary content.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_Nig ... s_takeover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems it's a Rogers production that CBC has consultation and broadcast rights to.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Lots of Georges in my olive-skinned family
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Stroumbo 4 life