GM meetings in FLA.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

GM meetings in FLA.

Post by no name »

I was watching the nhl channel and they talked to the GMs about possible rule changes. Of course OT was brought up again and i get the sence nothing will change. They said one idea was changing the sides of ice to make the line changes longer... It seems these meetings are a waste. With every possiblle way to make minute changes will not add scoing to overtime. Its like a screw that is a inch out of place and all they ever do is make a quarter turn trying to get it in. If they want more games to end with a OT goal, shave the ice, change sides, make OT 10 minutes and call penalties like they do during the regulation.

Changing sides wont matter though. Coaches will end up making their players dump the puck in and make the line change so it will be a back and forth dumpfest when line changes are made.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GM meetings in FLA.

Post by KG »

I like the idea of increasing OT to 10 minutes and doing 5 minutes 4/4 and 5 minutes 3/3....I don't like the 3 point idea for a regulation win either.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I wish the benches were on opposite sides of the ice so the line change thing would be moot entirely, and each team would be centered on the redline and wouldn't get caught up in each others line changes. Put team As penalty box on Team Bs side of the ice and you're set. Patrick Roy will just have to yell louder.

Realistically, I hope more stuff is eligible for instant replay. They complain it slows down the game, but other than that debacle against Florida at Consol this year it hasn't been bad. When pucks are flying in from the netting and counting as goals, and it isn't reviewable, the system is imperfect.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

I think longer OT had a better chance before last weekend's 7OT tie in Ohio high school hockey. that incident pretty much cemented that the only way to have no ties in the regular season (because realistically we can't have regular season NHL games lasting until 3:00 AM) is to have the shootout.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The three items I heard being discussed about altering overtime are removing icing calls, having the long change and either a 8 or 10 minute 4-on-4 before the shootout.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Removing icing calls? They'd just dump the puck the full length of the ice and survive until the shootout.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the only goal of any OT rule changes should be: AVOID THE SHOOTOUT

the 5v5 is already soiled, since you see teams just mail it in for a big chunk of it and wait to see if they'll win a coin toss. so just do 5 minutes of 3v3 and then a shootout if it's tied.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

shmenguin wrote:the only goal of any OT rule changes should be: AVOID THE SHOOTOUT

the 5v5 is already soiled, since you see teams just mail it in for a big chunk of it and wait to see if they'll win a coin toss. so just do 5 minutes of 3v3 and then a shootout if it's tied.
I think shootouts are just going to have to be a fact of life in the NHL to avoid ties. our local Over35 league used to do 3 minutes of 3v3 for the overtime. this worked for a long time, almost always producing a winner. after awhile though guys got too defensive and weren't taking the offensive chances that they used to and we were back to ending games in a tie. I do feel however that the best way to fix that is to take away any points for ties.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Removing the goalies after X minutes of OT is radical but it would cure the shootout completely. Make it that all shots must come from within the blueline and it'll still be interesting enough.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

I never had a problem with a tie. Rewarding a team on a skills competition is not good. Make them play 10 minutes of OT and if it ends in a tie, so be it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

If the former, the answer is simple. Make them worth less. Go to 3 point games.

If the latter, then you must be crazy.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

8 Min OT 4 on 4

Give each team a 4 on 3 PP for 2:00 at the end if still tied. Most goals win, if still tied, so be it, game ends in a tie.

3 points for Regulation win, 2 points for OT Win 1 point for a tie. zero points for losing.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I've always been in favor of 3 points for a win, etc. To me it just makes the most sense mathematically.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

pcm wrote:Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

people hate shootouts because they think it's not "real hockey". I disagree and will tell that that in our previously mentioned Over35 league that did 3v3 for OT, we changed it eventually to 4v4 because the guys complained that it wasn't "real hockey".
if I wanted to watch 2 teams end in a low scoring tie I'd watch soccer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't think the people that want to get rid of shootouts and the people who want to go to 3 v 3 are the same people for the most part. You're leaving out a pretty good sized portion of the population that wants ties.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I like the system as is.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I hate ties.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'd like the shootouts to be more fluid and dynamic. Every shooter is like the beginning of The Mighty Ducks. In my scenario:

Team A lines their players up single file at their defensive blue line, at the far boards.
Team B lines their players up single file at their defensive blue line, at the near boards.
Player A1 takes off and picks up a puck staged midway between the boards and the center face off dot, on the redline. Player A1 goes in on goal and shoots.
Player B1 is triggered by A1s shot, takes off and grabs his own puck. A1 is returning to center ice along the boards, stops after just crossing the redline and rests near the boards.
Player B1 is shooting, triggers A2s departure.
Cycle through the first 5 shooters. If it's still a tie, pick 5 more shooters. The first 5 are still eligible to be picked for a second volley.

It would make for a dynamic, non-stop conclusion to a dynamic game and would be awesome for the TV audience and the crowd.

This isn't that different than the line rushes at the AHL All-Star game, except you have it happening on both sides of the ice.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

GO badk to 5 minutes of 5 on 5, goalies only get glove blocker helmet and their cup while wearing a "blueman suit" with their team logo on it. or while they resurface the ice goalies must change their pads to the old mylec pads one standard size for all goalies.

If you don't like that idea just change the net to this. To be honest this is about how extreem you would have to go to get the results the NHL wants. End more games in OT just switch the nets nothing else and you got real hockey with mega nets so the game ends.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Not necessarily bubble nets but just slightly increase the net size would be a big deal. If the cage were opened up to say 4.5' x 7', it gives the shooters 7.5 square feet more to shoot at that the goalie now has to cover. The shooters will have more area to shoot from at tight angles. Goalies will have to relearn angle play otherwise they give up more open area, and it doesn't take much for shooters at this level.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I would like bigger nets. Promotes the skill players of the league, both shooters and athletic goalies.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

*cough* Craig Anderson *cough*

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

MRandall25 wrote:You can make the current nets "bigger" by limiting the size of goalie chest and shoulder pads

*cough* Craig Anderson *cough*

You could also increase scoring by actually calling penalties, instead of picking and choosing when to enforce the rulebook.
Goalies will pitch a fit over player safety if you try to further reduce their pads. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that there would be strong opposition to overcome. And the NHL has proven it can't enforce the rulebook as it's written on any consistent basis. It can't get out of it's own way when it comes to highlighting the games best players.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

shoeshine boy wrote:
pcm wrote:Why does everyone hate shootouts? Is it because they're used to award points in the standings? Or is it actually not something you enjoy watching?

people hate shootouts because they think it's not "real hockey". I disagree and will tell that that in our previously mentioned Over35 league that did 3v3 for OT, we changed it eventually to 4v4 because the guys complained that it wasn't "real hockey".
if I wanted to watch 2 teams end in a low scoring tie I'd watch soccer.
Penalty shots are part of the game. They certainly count as "real hockey." Shootouts are as much "real hockey" as 4 on 4 (which also happens in "real hockey.")
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

pcm wrote:Penalty shots are part of the game. They certainly count as "real hockey." Shootouts are as much "real hockey" as 4 on 4 (which also happens in "real hockey.")
I'm more opposed to 3 vs. 3 as an OT format than penalty shots when considering "real hockey".