LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by Willie Kool »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Jim wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
Grunthy wrote:I'm just worried people will look at this debate and think all religious people think like Ken Ham.
I' m glad Bill pointed out multiple times that there are millions of Christians that don't think like that.
Nye seems to focus in on Ham specifically. He even keeps referring to "Ken Ham's model". Nye does not seem to be arguing against creationism as a whole.
Actually that's exactly what he is doing. Ham almost certainly considers it God's model. Nye is going out of his way to take God out of it.
Ham invited Nye to his museum to debate 'Ken Ham's model', as Nye repeatedly made clear. Since Ham's theory is so outlandish that no actual debate of creationism itself was necessary to reject it, why go there?
Last edited by Willie Kool on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

One shouldn't schluff off religion, because of someone's bad science; the former is a different - and very different- discussion.

I certainly don't believe, but it's not because of bad science.

Ham is a disservice to both.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I haven't watched it yet, but the answers to this question probably tells me everything I need to know:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very very big image)

essentially one answers with "nothing" and the other with "show me evidence"
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

on one hand, i think people should believe what they want to believe about life's great mysteries. on the other hand, sometimes it gets frustrating when the beliefs of people close to me are so far from what i believe. particularly with the topic of death. and of course when any of them say, "everything happens for a reason" i have to resist the urge to get upset.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

count2infinity wrote:I haven't watched it yet, but the answers to this question probably tells me everything I need to know:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very very big image)
essentially one answers with "nothing" and the other with "show me evidence"
I am a believer in God and Christ. However, I think that the belief in God has to come from God himself. He must present himself to you and then it is your choice to accept or reject. You notice how many religious people tell you about the things God does for them? They feel a deep and intimate connection to God. You might not feel that or see that... but how can you know or discount what they are feeling or experiencing? Me personally, I had a revelation from God. After college I was pretty much an atheist, or at least a Gnostic, and a few years down the road God came to me. I just can't deny it.

So, yes, I see why people that haven't experienced Gods presence just can't believe on the accounts of others. It's a big step to take.
However, I feel that the non believers still should abstain from condemming and heckling people who do believe.

Now once you start pushing your beliefs to prove or disprove scientific knowledge, then all bets are off. Clearly the Earth is not 6k years old and any claims for that would need an extraordinarily large amount of scientific data to back it up. Saying that the Bible says so, end of discussion... thoughts and opinions like that should be challenged.

BTW, is this guy the banana man? Nope just looked it up. That's another one.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say bh. You seem to support both Ken and Bill's side of "nothing" and "show me the evidence".
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Oh no, I think Ken is a pretty crazy guy. I guess I'm saying that discounting science that has for the most part been proven beyond all doubt deserves to be ridiculed. And it deserves a LOT of evidence by the discounter to be taken seriously. You're never going to get that in this type of a debate.

On the other hand, the question in the jpeg "what, if anything would ever change your mind", I don't think Ham's answer is nothing. God comming to you and showing you something isn't nothing. When he came to me, as I said above, I just couldn't deny it. There is no way to prove it to anyone... but to me, it changed my mind. It wasn't nothing.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm not saying god is nothing... I'm saying that there is no amount of evidence you could bring to Ham and he would change his mind. What I meant by nothing, is that there is nothing you can present to him that can change his mind.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

TIL my academic great great grandfather is Pauling and my great great great grandfather is Bohr. For example, my academic "father" is my advisor, his advisor's advisor was Martin Karplus who studied under Pauling who studied under Bohr. I don't know if it interests anyone else, but it's kind of cool.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

count2infinity wrote:TIL my academic great great grandfather is Pauling and my great great great grandfather is Bohr. For example, my academic "father" is my advisor, his advisor's advisor was Martin Karplus who studied under Pauling who studied under Bohr. I don't know if it interests anyone else, but it's kind of cool.
:thumb: That's actually really cool.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My grandfather pumped gas for a living.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

columbia wrote:My grandfather pumped gas for a living.
My actual grandfather was manager of a tavern/inn... not sure what that has to do with anything though.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I had two grandfathers. One was the father of my mother and the other was the father of my father.

One was a farmer and one was a mechanic.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Confirmed: Oldest Fragment of Early Earth is 4.4 Billion Years Old
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-is-the-o ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Whole Foods: America’s Temple of Pseudoscience
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ience.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I didn't realize they moved their HQ to Kentucky.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Gaucho wrote:Image
Is that a flyby of Saturn?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

SolidSnake wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Image
Is that a flyby of Saturn?
yup
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Awesome stuff.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Despite a problem what prevented the second stage from relighting, the US Air Force certified the September 29, 2013, debut flight of the SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 as meeting its certification requirements under the military's Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program. Three flights are needed, and considering the next two flights of the v1.1 in December and January were problem-free, SpaceX should be able to bid for military contracts as soon as the Air Force finishes shuffling the paperwork.

http://www.space.com/24898-air-force-ce ... ocket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

random science thought of the week...so it's a safe assumption that there's plenty of intelligent life scattered all across the universe. it's also a safe assumption that we're not going to be subject to some invasion by this alien species at any point.

BUT...it seems scientifically probable that somewhere in the universe, there is a solar system containing 2 planets (or 1 planet and 1 moon, or 2 moons) that are both in the galactic sweet spot that can support water, plant life and other weird creatures like us. so ultimately, it makes me happy in a twisted way, that somewhere out there, alien warfare is totally going down.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

What about the possibility of intelligent life on Europa?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

viva la ben wrote:What about the possibility of intelligent life on Europa?
the theory there is underwater aliens, right? i don't think our paths will cross.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Scientists revive giant virus from 30,000-year-old Siberian permafrost
http://rt.com/news/virus-siberia-permafrost-france-776/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;