Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

Hmmm...I think Gaucho was right about skipping the futbol tickets.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I put in a ressie request for Kokotxa (named after the cut of codfish that comes from the throat), which seems like a fabulous place.

Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to get to eat at Tickets in Barcelona, which is one of the restaurants the Adrià brothers (mostly Albert) have opened in the last couple years with the demise of elBulli. Thankfully, there are openings at Pakta, their Japanese-influenced spot.

Aside from those places, I think we'll probably do the lion's share of our eating in bars and at the apartment we're renting when I cook. It's right across the street from the Mercat de Sant Antoni, which is only slightly less awesome than the world famous Bouqeria on La Rambla.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

The menu for this week is chicken, bean, and wild rice soup (chicken breast, homemade chicken stock, mirepoix, mushrooms, wild rice, three types of beans) with sourdough bread (using my King Arthur based starter). Also managed to burn and cut myself.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It seems like someone needs to field test this.

Rinse Bacon in Water Before Cooking to Reduce Shrinkage by 50 Percent
http://lifehacker.com/rinse-bacon-in-wa ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Anthony Bourdain on Today’s Chefs
http://ruhlman.com/2014/02/anthony-bour ... days-chefs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I read that Bourdain/Rhulman thing this morning and thought it was interesting. There's such an odd level of criticism that follows Roy Choi around, being the first to really popularize the cooking of his neighborhood (Mexican) with the ingredients of his family (Korean). Having lived in Koreatown, I can't quite understand the fuss; the Kogi truck is pretty much K-Town on wheels (while it's tasty, I do think it's way overrated, benefiting from being first in line). He references the Paula Deen profiting off the recipes of black people, but I don't think that would be an issue at all if it wasn't for her recent legal troubles; there was no question about 'authenticity' two years ago.

In the past 2-3 years I've really soured on the notion of authenticity, anyway, at least as regards immigrant cooking. Removed from time and place, nothing can be truly 'authentic'. And in that light, is it really that big of a deal for someone removed from the culture to be cooking the food? I maintain that I'm secretly an Italian grandmother, as rustic contadina-style cookery is my culinary wheelhouse. I know I can never cook like an Italian grandmother, but is it an affront for me to cook that way for my wife and friends? I hope not, cos I've gotten pretty good at it over the past dozen years or so. Be a shame to have to cast that aside because it's not 'authentic'.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:He references the Paula Deen profiting off the recipes of black people, but I don't think that would be an issue at all if it wasn't for her recent legal troubles; there was no question about 'authenticity' two years ago.
That's a tricky issue and one that I have several levels of exposure to.

I've been to least 1/2 dozen authentic, down home Southern restaurants in Savannah. (I have not been to her's, but everyone I've asked seemed pretty suspect of it and that was before her troubles began.) Now if you broaden it a bit, most of the meat and three sides places in South Carolina are run by white people. What can we conclude from that? Not much, probably. I know that it will be damn goo, however.

From a personal preference standpoint, I'd rather go to, say, Neighborhood Soulfood (yes, that's the name) than her joint downtown. If nothing else, I can talk to woman who cooked my lunch and that's always a plus. Can you get oxtail at Paula's place? It's not on her menu and that makes me suspicious of the authenticity of the rest of the fare.

Do the women - and that's largely who's doing it - at these restaurants cook pretty much exactly like my grandmothers did? Yes. If you go far back enough, you'd see very little difference in the diets among blacks and whites. (Unless we get into Gullah cooking, but that's a whole different scene.)

Is Paula Dean authentic to generalized Southern cooking? Maybe.......But I bet Sean Brock would tell you no. :wink:

To further confuse things, one of the best restaurants I've been to in the region is this place:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/millers-bread-basket-blackville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mennonite!
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Pierogi and kielbasa tonight, and fresh paczki for dessert. So good.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Went to a "wine and cheese" dinner party last night at Mrs. c2i's boss's house. Here was my plate:

Was a pretty good night. That piece of bread that has the jelly looking thing is bacon jam. It was very very good. The blob clear on the left is spinach and artichoke dip. The best thing of the night though is toward the bottom... cranberry cheese. It's a nice soft spreadable cheese with cranberries all through it. It's from Wegmans and it comes out twice a year. If you can find it, I highly recommend it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

My wife just started making her own bacon jam, that stuff is killer
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

I've had that white stilton with cranberries from Wegman's. Good stuff.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I am not above accepting bacon jam donations.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

My favorite part is the whiskey that goes into it, usually means leftovers!
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

tifosi77 wrote:I put in a ressie request for Kokotxa (named after the cut of codfish that comes from the throat), which seems like a fabulous place.
I'm going to recommend this to some friends who'll be in Donostia in a few weeks. Looks great.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Smooshed grilled sandwich night at the c2i household tonight. I don't own a panini press nor a Forman grill, so when I got make paninis, I just put them in a pan like I'm making a grilled cheese and just smoosh them with the spatula (I plan in the future to go get a couple bricks and wrap them in foil, but for now smooshing works).

Sandwich ingredients:

Roasted chicken breast (from Sunday night, pulled off the bone and then sliced thin)
Bacon
Tomato
Pepperjack Cheese
Slices of avocado
And california fancy sauce (mayo and sriracha)

I have to say, this is one of the best smooshed grilled sandwiches I've ever made.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Has anyone ever shopped at a GFS? I went there yesterday and they have chicken breasts (fresh not frozen) that are hormone free for $20 for a 10lb bag. I'm wondering if they're worth it. That's a great price for fresh chicken breasts, although it does say "chicken breasts with rib meat".
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Horrifying Skin Infection Spreading From Raw Seafood In Chinatown
http://gothamist.com/2014/03/05/horrify ... geting.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:scared:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Don't they wear deodorant?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Willie Kool wrote:I've had that white stilton with cranberries from Wegman's. Good stuff.
The wensleydale cranberry that the market district has is fantastic.

turkey sandwich
wensleydale cranberry
apple slices
and mayo
on a toasted ciabatta is killer.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I made my best batch of hummus yet last night. I used to adjust the water use to achieve the desired texture, this time I used more lemon and some hot sauce as the liquid to make it smoother.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Anyone interested in signing up for ChefSteps classes? The paid ones cost about $40 and you can go through them in a couple hours. They are fun and informative, and, imo, worth the coin.

I've been set up as an 'ambassador' (which sounds funny), so if you sign up through my URL you'll get a 25% discount. I get a kick, but tbh, I'm just going to use it for 'store credit'.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I cooked a two pound skirt steak yesterday, which really lends to leftovers. This week I'll be having tacos a few times, plus my favorite use of the steak:

red miso broth
udon noodles
thinly sliced skirt steak
greens
mung bean sprouts
sriracha
touch of sesame oil
topped with crushed peanuts
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Made pepper steak for lunch. Having bone in ribeyes for dinner
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

turkey burgers for dinner last night: dry ranch dressing mix, garlic, black pepper, bell peppers and a little bit of garlic all mixed in. topped with sriracha yogurt sauce, grilled apple and pepper jack cheese n at
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I procured a cast iron skillet last week. Other than searing steak what else can I use it for? Baking a pizza?