2014 NHL Trade Rumors/Trades/Signing Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 2014 NHL Trade Rumor Thread

Post by pens2005 »

I'm confused too! I never really saw their goaltending as a weakness.

In fact, I've always seen it as a strength of theirs.

I guess I don't watch enough blues hockey?
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

I think team defense is their strength. Halak's only played in 2 playoff games for them and Elliot hasn't been great in their last two series. So there is some uncertainty for them. I wonder if the only way they deal for Miller is if he is interested in signing with them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Last year The Pens traded for all the captains. This year, the Blues will trade for all the goalies.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The Blues goaltending is a weird situation. Jaroslav Halak is a very good goalie. However, one of his bigger weaknesses is not seeing a lot of shots. He looks way more comfortable making 38 saves than 18. Some goalies are just like that. Brian Elliott is common street trash. But then there's Jake Allen, who I regard highly as a prospect. You have to believe that Buffalo will be looking at Allen (though they have a couple decent goalies in their system, Matt Hackett and Andrey Makarov) who is ready to be in the NHL.

It doesn't make sense for the Blues to try to make a small upgrade, they either have to go all-in on it (Miller, Ward, etc.) because they can upgrade the backup position from within by waiving Elliott and recalling Allen. So adding a Thomas or a Brodeur or a Neuvirth doesn't do them one bit of good because none of them are better (much less, clearly better) than Jaro Halak...

I think Miller has value to the Blues in the sense that they won't have to keep him...but I believe Halak and Elliott are both UFAs, so they'll have some flexibility regardless...

I'm a big Halak fan, but he might not be the right fit for what they have there to be honest...frankly, he would be a better fit for Buffalo, a team that gives up more odd man rushes on any Saturday night than the Blues have this season...
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I think its pretty amusing that people are running with the speculation that a meeting between MSL and Steve Y means that he was causing problems. Any potential problems were dissolved yesterday when the game clock hit 0.
Yup, sure seems like the problems were dissolved.

Anything else to add? LOL
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Are you trying to tell me that you read a new article about the same hearsay from weeks ago? Thats a good reason to bring out the scathing sarcasm. It cuts deep.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Are you trying to tell me that you read a new article about the same hearsay from weeks ago? Thats a good reason to bring out the scathing sarcasm. It cuts deep.
Was just pertaining to the fact that you were laughing at people that were thinking that maybe there was something to the St. Louis thing and how you were pretty positive that the gold medal solved any problems.

Maybe you're right? Who knows. :)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

mikey287 wrote: I think Miller has value to the Blues in the sense that they won't have to keep him...but I believe Halak and Elliott are both UFAs, so they'll have some flexibility regardless...
Yes, that's correct. So....that makes a little more sense now.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:The Blues goaltending is a weird situation. Jaroslav Halak is a very good goalie. However, one of his bigger weaknesses is not seeing a lot of shots. He looks way more comfortable making 38 saves than 18. Some goalies are just like that. Brian Elliott is common street trash. But then there's Jake Allen, who I regard highly as a prospect. You have to believe that Buffalo will be looking at Allen (though they have a couple decent goalies in their system, Matt Hackett and Andrey Makarov) who is ready to be in the NHL.

It doesn't make sense for the Blues to try to make a small upgrade, they either have to go all-in on it (Miller, Ward, etc.) because they can upgrade the backup position from within by waiving Elliott and recalling Allen. So adding a Thomas or a Brodeur or a Neuvirth doesn't do them one bit of good because none of them are better (much less, clearly better) than Jaro Halak...

I think Miller has value to the Blues in the sense that they won't have to keep him...but I believe Halak and Elliott are both UFAs, so they'll have some flexibility regardless...

I'm a big Halak fan, but he might not be the right fit for what they have there to be honest...frankly, he would be a better fit for Buffalo, a team that gives up more odd man rushes on any Saturday night than the Blues have this season...
Buffalo also has Linus Ullmark who's boasting a league-leading .934 SV% along with a very healthy 2.00 GAA for MODO.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Marty St. Louis to LA, NYR, PHI, or PIT?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/are-s ... be-traded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Kovy27 wrote:Marty St. Louis to LA, NYR, PHI, or PIT?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/are-s ... be-traded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love St. Louis, but I have become very skeptical of signing aging veterans.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Marty St. Louis to LA, NYR, PHI, or PIT?

I love St. Louis, but I have become very skeptical of signing aging veterans.
He'll end up in Philly. :pop:
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

St Loius won't be comming here. LA or Philly i don't see us having any chance, we are short on assets.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

and now the rumors are flying about Kesler to Pittsburgh. This should be an interesting trade deadline.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

Give me Kesler and St. Louis. Trade away our next 3 first rounders, and a couple prospects or whatever. I'm ready for another cup.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

itissteeltime wrote:Give me Kesler and St. Louis. Trade away our next 3 first rounders, and a couple prospects or whatever. I'm ready for another cup.
Neither of these guys makes a cup much more likely. Kesler would do better for our needs than the smurf.

The pens need bottom 6. Our top 6 can get it done, but without a solid bottom 6 we are doomed.

I will agree that I am ready for another cup and don't care if the team trades away 1st rounders and prospects.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think each of them would make a cup much more likely. Both are still major contributors on any team unlike the over the hill scraps they added last year. I don't think they should give up what it would take to get those players and fit them onto the team though.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

PensFanInDC wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:Give me Kesler and St. Louis. Trade away our next 3 first rounders, and a couple prospects or whatever. I'm ready for another cup.
Neither of these guys makes a cup much more likely. Kesler would do better for our needs than the smurf.

The pens need bottom 6. Our top 6 can get it done, but without a solid bottom 6 we are doomed.

I will agree that I am ready for another cup and don't care if the team trades away 1st rounders and prospects.
Adding both means Kesler probably finds a spot on that 3rd line. I think that instantly make our 3rd line pretty awesome. The 4th line would then improve as well. Obviously we're not getting both though, so this is a moot conversation haha.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I have soured on St. Louis. The trade request comes off very, "Pity me. I'm going to pout," sort of way.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:I have soured on St. Louis. The trade request comes off very, "Pity me. I'm going to pout," sort of way.
I feel this way as well, but I'm keeping it a secret until I hear his side of the story. Martin St. Louis is a good guy, he's too much of a professional for something small to set him off like this I think...this is an organization that he has done a lot for, and has done a lot for him (like signing his college drinking buddy to an NHL deal), there must be something that none of us know yet...MSL has earned the benefit of the doubt from me...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

To be fair, getting snubbed on his once-in-a-lifetime chance to make the Olympic team is not a small thing for him. Sure, it looks small to all of us looking in from the outside, but he deserved to be on that team (again), and was left off (again), initially. For a pro, who's earned every inch of accolades in his career, that's a big deal.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

My issue is, it's small on the NHL level. His beef isn't with Steve Yzerman GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. His beef is with the hockey minds that make up Team Canada (a group that included him anyhow at the end of the day), his beef is with Mike Babcock coach of Team Canada who didn't allow him to see the ice vs. the United States...back at the ranch, I believe you need to separate that...easy for me to say from the cheap seats, I can't say I wouldn't feel any bit of resentment, I probably would...but as the captain and leader of the team I've been with for so long, I think that's small potatoes...

The Tampa Bay staff loves him and plays him X minutes per night and put him in a position to win an Art Ross last season as a 37 year old. The Tampa Bay staff and the Team Canada staff are not the same.

I just can't imagine Brooks Orpik demanding a trade if he were left off Team USA...I know, I know, maybe Orpik doesn't belong on the team, but maybe neither did St. Louis...there's a legit case for that (not one I would agree with, but it's legitimate)...I don't know, it rubs me the wrong way, but who am I...I'm just some idiot...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I am in the camp that nothing necesarily happend and all we know is that he talked to his gm. That said, yzeman's thougts on st louis would have to be the same both as gm of the bolts and member of the olympic team. Its two organizations but its still the same thing.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Perhaps, but those thoughts are of highly different values. You can be the best on your team or best for your team and not be good enough for the panel that decides Team Canada. I mean, it's not just Yzerman and Holland and that group...but Babcock and Julien and those guys also didn't think he was good enough to play in every game...or have anything more than a minor role with the club after being picked...

Yzerman probably thinks the world of him, but he was put in charge to make the best team for his country...and he did that. I think MSL is a bigger professional than to mix those two...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

McKenzie is pretty clear in saying that MSL asked for trade:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;