GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

The grolwer thing is supposed to be the next big thing in beer snobbery, is it not?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

What's the growler thing?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Bigger is better?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

growler's are good if you're going to a party or if you want to take home a beer that's only available at the brewery, but they don't really server any other practical purpose, so i don't think they're part of any trend in beer snobbery.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Kraftster wrote:What's the growler thing?
Isn't it just getting a growler and having them fill it up for you to take it home?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Kraftster wrote:What's the growler thing?
The grolwer thing being "hey bro, lets stop at the brewery in the hip part of town, and get some fresh beers to go" instead of just getting a six pack
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My sister lives in vermont. There are some very very good breweries up there. She fills a couple growlers, puts them in the car and then brings them down to State College to enjoy (edit: when she comes to visit, of course... she doesn't just come down on a whim). A few new year's eves ago we had some people over before we went out for the night and I went and filled a couple growlers of beer at a local bar that had some good stuff that wasn't in bottles or cans at the local six pack shops. They're good for certain occasions, and like shmenguin said, I don't see any sort of beer snobbery involved here.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I guess its seems like more places are offering growlers now.

c2i, I would do things I'd rather not say in public to get anything from Hill Farmstead (Greensboro, VT). Does your sister need any sort of legal assistance?!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

lol, that's about a 2 hour drive out of her way, but I plan on going up to visit this summer, I might make the drive over there.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Thanks c2i. I usually fill up when I goto a brewery, but I noticed bars advertising to fill up. I have a nice little bar in my town that gets a lot of good beers on tap that I can't find in bottle shops (around where I live at least). With 3 kids, I'm not going out like I used to and figured I would ask them if they could fill a growler as it's a few blocks from my house. I wasn't sure if there were certain tools needed to make a clean transfer.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

eddysnake wrote:Thanks c2i. I usually fill up when I goto a brewery, but I noticed bars advertising to fill up. I have a nice little bar in my town that gets a lot of good beers on tap that I can't find in bottle shops (around where I live at least). With 3 kids, I'm not going out like I used to and figured I would ask them if they could fill a growler as it's a few blocks from my house. I wasn't sure if there were certain tools needed to make a clean transfer.
A few things to keep in mind:

1. You're not going to be able to let them sit for very long. I'd say if you cap it and don't touch it, it's got a week until the carbonation goes, so you want to drink them within a few days. You don't put leftover chinese in the fridge and eat it 2 weeks later, right?

2. The amount of time that it takes to make beer bad by some sort of infection is somewhat slow and to couple with that, the amount of time it takes to actually taste that infection is generally even slower.

3. Most infections that attack beer generally are not a health concern to humans, they just cause the beer to taste off.

That being said, you obviously want a clean growler and places that are used to filling growlers have clean tubing to fill them, if they don't, the taps at a good place should be cleaned regularly enough that you shouldn't have to worry about any health risks.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Victory is about 20 minutes away from here, and it's a great place to fill up a growler. They have all sorts of awesome stuff at the brewery. On other occasions, I'll make the hour drive to Troeg's, but that's more for special occasions.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:Victory is about 20 minutes away from here, and it's a great place to fill up a growler. They have all sorts of awesome stuff at the brewery. On other occasions, I'll make the hour drive to Troeg's, but that's more for special occasions.
like meeting up with me some time this summer for a pint or 5?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

count2infinity wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Thanks c2i. I usually fill up when I goto a brewery, but I noticed bars advertising to fill up. I have a nice little bar in my town that gets a lot of good beers on tap that I can't find in bottle shops (around where I live at least). With 3 kids, I'm not going out like I used to and figured I would ask them if they could fill a growler as it's a few blocks from my house. I wasn't sure if there were certain tools needed to make a clean transfer.
A few things to keep in mind:

1. You're not going to be able to let them sit for very long. I'd say if you cap it and don't touch it, it's got a week until the carbonation goes, so you want to drink them within a few days. You don't put leftover chinese in the fridge and eat it 2 weeks later, right?

2. The amount of time that it takes to make beer bad by some sort of infection is somewhat slow and to couple with that, the amount of time it takes to actually taste that infection is generally even slower.

3. Most infections that attack beer generally are not a health concern to humans, they just cause the beer to taste off.

That being said, you obviously want a clean growler and places that are used to filling growlers have clean tubing to fill them, if they don't, the taps at a good place should be cleaned regularly enough that you shouldn't have to worry about any health risks.
thanks, I always make sure to finish my growler that day if possible, never gone over 2 days. wasn't there a pump that someone posted on here a while back?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Nitro tapped beers do not like growlers and go flat rather quickly. CO2 taps are better. From my experiences.

On a Cream Ale kick and having a difficult time with selection from the BevMo and Total Wine big box stores.

Mother Earth Brew co offers a Vanilla Cream that is amazing in taste. Easy drinking and full of flavor.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Old Leghumper Porter is pretty good. I'd say it's better than Edmund Fitzgerald.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

MRandall25 wrote:Old Leghumper Porter is pretty good. I'd say it's better than Edmund Fitzgerald.
so by saying this, Eddy Fitz is just good? You sir, need to work on your fibbing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I mean, I like the Fitz, but not as much as the Leghumper. It still had that Great Lakes taste to it, the bitter aftertaste.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picked up a case of GL Conways Irish Ale. I know a lot of people don't care for this, but I look forward to it every year. Nice Irish Red
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Eismann wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:Helltown Dranik Dark Lager was very good. I'm definitely in a brown ale kick right now.
Nice. Haven't heard of it/tried it. Where'd you find it?

Pipers and Claddaugh
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

GL Chillwave (formerly Alchemy Hour) should be out around now, anyone see it in stores?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Helltown in general has been pretty solid. Nice to have another good Pittsburgh(ish) microbrewery.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My wife got me another bomber of Oat yesterday
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:My wife got me another bomber of Oat yesterday
are there dates on these things? Why are the Amish stockpiling these?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

eddysnake wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:My wife got me another bomber of Oat yesterday
are there dates on these things? Why are the Amish stockpiling these?
:lol:

Still have it at Wegman's around here...the last bottle I had was solid.