So

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

So

Post by MarioLives »

Was this a failure for team USA or do you think they did ok? To not medal is a huge disappointment to me, but what do you think?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: So

Post by Idoit40fans »

I was in the verizon center tonight.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

MarioLives wrote:Was this a failure for team USA or do you think they did ok? To not medal is a huge disappointment to me, but what do you think?
Losing to Canada was disappointing but not surprising. I didn't really care about the bronze, and it looked like the team didn't either.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

I'm going to push this version of the thread, as I think it offers more based on the verizon center comment.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Any of you guys ever experience deja vu?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Canada/USA was the gold medal game in theory. US was the hottest team in the tourney and Canada was the most skilled. Obviously it's a failure if you don't win...the only team that succeeds by not winning are the Colts two years ago when they got Andrew Luck in the draft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Canada/USA was the gold medal game in theory. US was the hottest team in the tourney and Canada was the most skilled. Obviously it's a failure if you don't win...the only team that succeeds by not winning are the Colts two years ago when they got Andrew Luck in the draft.
Losing works out pretty well for the Penguins. in the past 30 years.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Not earning a medal is a massive failure for a country that went to OT to almost win gold in the last olympics.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Pavel Bure wrote:Not earning a medal is a massive failure for a country that went to OT to almost win gold in the last olympics.
This. Failure and embarassing.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Idoit40fans wrote:I was in the verizon center tonight.
lolsmiley.org
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

So. so. So, the wife says to me that she heard the wives and players of the USA hockey team were adopting dogs to fly with the team back to our Country to enjoy a better life. Wow, this is hard to wrap my head around.

First, you go and represent your Country. You beat out others that never had a chance to compete for the chance. You were selected to win because the staff hired to bring a winning team looks at your NHL (professional) stats.

Second, you bring along distractions. When I business travel, the wife goes so very, very rarely. I am being paid to do a job and a distraction of someone not on the payroll is a distraction. She wants a softer pillow, more heat, a new hand towel,,,, you are now distracted.

Third, the game plan fell apart. Penguins coach was the face of the team. He has now been tested at all levels of playoff winning. Will be known as the coach that never landed a metal as of 2014.

Fourth, adopt a dog. God knows there are many in need of a good home with loving members to greet them. With all that was going on in Russia, dogs don't care who won. The family that they befriend wins.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

This thread has the potential to be better than KtKTOR.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Did KtK adopt a Russian dog? It's all about the dogs.

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Not sure if serious
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Not sure if serious
same here. I'm not sure what to say since I'm not sure if this "families visiting and dog outrage" is serious.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

At least Team USA didn't trash any hotel rooms this time.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Tico Rick wrote:At least Team USA didn't trash any hotel rooms this time.
Could you tell if they did?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Just so.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

In my opinion, you don't have to look further than Patrick Kane in the Bronze Medal game. PK had TWO penalty shots and could not convert on either, then decided that all things penalty were his, so he went out and got TWO penalties.

As for Team USA prior loss, they met the best defensive teams in Olympic history in Canada (best ever with only 3 goals allowed). Yeah, they lost, but with a little luck, they could have won.

They were close, its a one game elimination, not time to blow up the system, although I'm sure the media will report it as so, and knuckle heads will believe it.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Penspal wrote:In my opinion, you don't have to look further than Patrick Kane in the Bronze Medal game. PK had TWO penalty shots and could not convert on either, then decided that all things penalty were his, so he went out and got TWO penalties.

As for Team USA prior loss, they met the best defensive teams in Olympic history in Canada (best ever with only 3 goals allowed). Yeah, they lost, but with a little luck, they could have won.

They were close, its a one game elimination, not time to blow up the system, although I'm sure the media will report it as so, and knuckle heads will believe it.
Kaner was clearly distracted by his grandfather's death. nothing Shero could do about that. naturally Kane wanted to play but he was trying way too hard once the elimination rounds started.

kudos to Team Canada for implementing a system with the proper players which practically guaranteed victory. in retrospect all of the players chosen and more tellingly, the players NOT chosen make perfect sense now. you don't need or want Letang, Giroux and Neal to play the system that Canada implemented.
I just hope that in S. Korea IF the NHL plays that not too many countries play this way otherwise it's going to make for boring Olympic hockey.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

BigMcK wrote:Second, you bring along distractions. When I business travel, the wife goes so very, very rarely. I am being paid to do a job and a distraction of someone not on the payroll is a distraction. She wants a softer pillow, more heat, a new hand towel,,,, you are now distracted.
I know right? The broadcast of the Games is pretty completely littered with shots of the athletes in other sports not talking to their families in the crowd, not climbing the rail into the spectator gallery to hug their husband after winning gold....

:wink:

When you travel for business, is it to compete in the quadrennial Olympics in front of a global audience for the chance to be immortalized in the annals of your professoin? Good god, if I got selected, I'd want my wife, my mom, my cousin, my best friend....... crikey, forget all the stray dogs; I'd probably want to find a way to bring my beagles, too. Might even bring the cat.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

The whole adopting stray dog bull was just that -- bullcrap! Why are these players being called heroes for that? There are thousands of in need animals here in the States that looking for good homes! What makes Russian stray dogs so special? Oh, that's right, you'll get your name in the media and gain more mindless followers on Twitter!
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Pitts wrote:The whole adopting stray dog bull was just that -- bullcrap! Why are these players being called heroes for that? There are thousands of in need animals here in the States that looking for good homes! What makes Russian stray dogs so special? Oh, that's right, you'll get your name in the media and gain more mindless followers on Twitter!
canttellifserious.jpg
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Screw those commie pinko dogs. There are 'Merican dogs that need a saving.