Team Canada

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Team Canada

Post by Desiato »

Kunitz doesn't get enough respect. He played a significant role on two different cup winning teams. He is a complete hockey player with a career avg of .84 ppg. He's a winner.

Team Canada is a team of stars playing roles. Sid is leading the way by playing a selfless, smart game. As fans, we may want him to lead the tournament in scoring, but he's giving his team exactly what is needed from him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Being that he has no business being on this team, i'd say Kunitz gets way too much respect.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Idoit40fans wrote:Being that he has no business being on this team, i'd say Kunitz gets way too much respect.
It's easy to say that because Canada has so much depth. Canada could field two competitive teams in the Olympics. So yeah, there's lots of debate potential there. But Kunitz gets on every other Olympic roster for sure.

Rob Brown? Pfft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

They could field two competitive teams, sure, but one would get crushed by Sweden, Finland or the US. I mean the US could field a second team that could beat Latvia, Norway, Czech, Slovaks...that doesn't really mean anything.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Being that he has no business being on this team, i'd say Kunitz gets way too much respect.
Now, I didn't agree from the get-go really with Kunitz being on the team. But I also don't think it's a travesty. Look back at Canada's previous best-on-best Olympic selections...Brenden Morrow, Kris Draper, Rob Zamuner, Shayne Corson, etc. they aren't afraid to bring guys that play roles. All of those guys, but especially Draper and Zamuner, were very niche role players. Corson and Morrow certainly aren't top-six players at this level of play. Kunitz is a guy that can play virtually anywhere in the lineup on the LW and he's a complete player, I don't need to describe him to you...but there's been far lesser picks from a technical skills standpoint to fulfill roles or fill holes...

From a pure skill standpoint, he wouldn't make Canada's third team probably...but historically, this is a management team that has done far "worse" to put it bluntly...far more "niche" to put it more specifically...
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

A wise coach once said* that putting a winning team together isn't necessarily about picking all the best players, but about picking the all the right ones.

Well, at least his movie incarnation said it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
Now, I didn't agree from the get-go really with Kunitz being on the team. But I also don't think it's a travesty. Look back at Canada's previous best-on-best Olympic selections...Brenden Morrow, Kris Draper, Rob Zamuner, Shayne Corson, etc. they aren't afraid to bring guys that play roles. All of those guys, but especially Draper and Zamuner, were very niche role players. Corson and Morrow certainly aren't top-six players at this level of play. Kunitz is a guy that can play virtually anywhere in the lineup on the LW and he's a complete player, I don't need to describe him to you...but there's been far lesser picks from a technical skills standpoint to fulfill roles or fill holes...

From a pure skill standpoint, he wouldn't make Canada's third team probably...but historically, this is a management team that has done far "worse" to put it bluntly...far more "niche" to put it more specifically...
I was the opposite. I was fine with him being on the team till I saw him play. He was awful and stood out for it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You can tell that Canada's personnel selections have held them back. They might have been going off at -250, rather than -190 for the money line, for Sunday's game.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

If they had Giroux, Sweden would have just forfeited...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

And Engelland in for Doughty. They would have cancelled the whole thing.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

If Engo played in any one Olympic game, he would have gotten the Maurice Richard treatment. Except, instead of getting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd star of the game, he would have received the gold, silver and bronze medal...the two teams that were scheduled to play in that game would have been assigned to be Engelland's minions for all eternity...

Though, I believe this deep into the tournament, I believe we all know the IOC/IIHF rules by now...but it's worth repeating for those who don't follow international hockey...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

To be fair, Engelland probably could've played better than Joe Pavelski did today :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Or any other US center.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

2014 Team Canada is most focused, disciplined, machine-like team I've ever seen.

It felt great to see Kunitz score.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Great to see Sid win another championship. As he said in one of the post-game interviews, a lot has happened since the last one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

A lot of bad coaching. Must have been refreshing to play for Babcock.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Desiato wrote:2014 Team Canada is most focused, disciplined, machine-like team I've ever seen.

It felt great to see Kunitz score.
In the nine winter Olympiads between 1956 and 1992, the Soviets/Russian Unified Team ("Commonwealth of Independent States" in the '92 Games) won seven golds, one silver and one bronze. The only two non-golds in that run were 1960 and 1980, the years Team America won gold. Of course, they were a team of highly organized professionals playing against amateurs, so the disparities were magnified.

But Team Canada looked focused all tournament long. Early on, I thought they would be vulnerable to a strong attack, but that was dispelled by the lackluster effort Team America gave in the semi-final.

Fair play to Canada; if the U.S. couldn't win, Canada is the only other team I could root for.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Seeing Subban's video makes me not hate him anymore.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

jimjom wrote:Seeing Subban's video makes me not hate him anymore.
Link?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

Liverlips wrote:
Link?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

I don't hate him as much, after that. But that'll likely change on Thursday.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

Might as well get started just in case the NHL does send players. Potential candidates for Team Canada in 2018 -
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/23/ca ... ockey-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/ear ... gold-medal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

superconan wrote:Might as well get started just in case the NHL does send players. Potential candidates for Team Canada in 2018 -
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/23/ca ... ockey-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/ear ... gold-medal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Martin St. Louis? What a travesty.