The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by DelPen »

penny lane wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:Missed the game. I guess Rask had that magical force field up again?
It's a shame Rask could not go against Sweden.
You can't hope to win games 1-0 though. Finland couldn't get anything going except that fluke goal they scored. The could get good chances on a 5-3 pp. Raask couldn't help this tart of their game.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

On the bright side Maatta looked great.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

penny lane wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:Missed the game. I guess Rask had that magical force field up again?
It's a shame Rask could not go against Sweden.
I was just thinking the same thing.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Austria is laughing. At least they had a huge party before they bowed out ignominiously.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Lt. Dish wrote:
DelPen wrote:This isn't all on Bylsma. Laviolette is a really good coach and is a bigger personality than Bylsma.
This is part of the thinking behind my question to the group a couple of pages ago.

It's not like the assistants are there for show. This isn't a blame comment, btw.
Obviously none of us know 100% (qualifier so that the caped crusaders don't misinterpret)...

In fast tournament like this where the players don't play together normally and won't ever again, I'd have to imagine the head coach sets the overall game plan (with input from his assistants). He decides the system, how the team will play, combos, etc. The assistants are selected to help implement it in their particular area (defense, PK, PP, goal tending, etc). So Laviolette likely had a lot to do with the implementation of whatever he was responsible for with the overall direction, changes, structure coming from DB.

If that's not the case and Laviolette's personality was able to overtake DB's that would actually be a worse indication on DB for not being able to lead a team. No indications that that happened.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Team USA was undefeated with Paul Martin in the lineup, and winless with him out of the lineup. Just sayin'.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So does The Big E also apply to Pens fans, when it comes to
the US team?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The Big E?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Well, this ugly american :P will not be hoping for Canada gold. Unless it's all kunitz. :D :wink:
The Canadian media needs a mega jolt.

The latvian-lightning goalie performance & Ollie's Olympics are my hockey bright notes from Sochi.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If Crosby doesn't show up and Canada loses there is going to be a lot of Penguin hate in a North America.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

I'd like to see Kunitz score 5 goals to shut up the Canadian media. Barring that, I'd like to see Sweden win, just so I can pay back my Canadian friend who's been harassing me for the past 24 hours.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

bhaw wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
DelPen wrote:This isn't all on Bylsma. Laviolette is a really good coach and is a bigger personality than Bylsma.
This is part of the thinking behind my question to the group a couple of pages ago.

It's not like the assistants are there for show. This isn't a blame comment, btw.
Obviously none of us know 100% (qualifier so that the caped crusaders don't misinterpret)...

In fast tournament like this where the players don't play together normally and won't ever again, I'd have to imagine the head coach sets the overall game plan (with input from his assistants). He decides the system, how the team will play, combos, etc. The assistants are selected to help implement it in their particular area (defense, PK, PP, goal tending, etc). So Laviolette likely had a lot to do with the implementation of whatever he was responsible for with the overall direction, changes, structure coming from DB.

If that's not the case and Laviolette's personality was able to overtake DB's that would actually be a worse indication on DB for not being able to lead a team. No indications that that happened.
Thank you, bhaw.

Sigh.

So, does DB get another chance? Ron Wilson did after the Nagano debacle, although that was 12 years and much program growth later.

Laviolette coached the 2006 team that didn't medal.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Tico Rick wrote:I'd like to see Kunitz score 5 goals to shut up the Canadian media. Barring that, I'd like to see Sweden win, just so I can pay back my Canadian friend who's been harassing me for the past 24 hours.
Sounds like a 6-5 win for Sweden would be ideal.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Tico Rick wrote:I'd like to see Kunitz score 5 goals to shut up the Canadian media. Barring that, I'd like to see Sweden win, just so I can pay back my Canadian friend who's been harassing me for the past 24 hours.
I'm pulling for a 5-3 SWE win.

Kunitz 3G, Crosby 3A, SWE with EN. :D
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

bhaw wrote:The Big E?
Yeah, Eric Lindros has nothing to do with this.

:slug:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I think it would depend on DB's resume between now and the next one and who the GM is. Fleury is a great example of how reputation can follow you. He was having a great year this year, but his reputation of struggling in big games kept him off the roster. If DB can't show some more Ws in the playoffs between now and then, I see the same happening to him.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Lt. Dish wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Thank you, bhaw.
Sigh.

So, does DB get another chance? Ron Wilson did after the Nagano debacle, although that was 12 years and much program growth later.

Way too early to say if Bylsma gets another shot with Team USA. So many factors involved. He certainly could. However, this was a hugely disappointing Olympics for America. The Hockey program has taken a step back under Shero/Bylsmas watch.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

penny lane wrote:Well, this ugly american :P will not be hoping for Canada gold. Unless it's all kunitz. :D :wink:
The Canadian media needs a mega jolt.

The latvian-lightning goalie performance & Ollie's Olympics are my hockey bright notes from Sochi.
You wouldn't want to see Crosby perform at all?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Yeah, I was going to say I actually think DB has a better chance at coaching again than Shero does at GM'ing again for USA.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Was it a step back or a set back.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Idoit40fans wrote:Was it a step back or a set back.
More like a pivot.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

farnham16 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Thank you, bhaw.
Sigh.

Way too early to say if Bylsma gets another shot with Team USA. So many factors involved. He certainly could. However, this was a hugely disappointing Olympics for America. The Hockey program has taken a step back under Shero/Bylsmas watch.
David Poile was the actual GM, no? I don't disagree with what you're saying, but Shero wasn't running the show. I suppose he had strong influence in bringing in DB to coach, though.

In fact, didn't he recuse himself from the team selection process when it came to the Pens selected?
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

bhaw wrote:Yeah, I was going to say I actually think DB has a better chance at coaching again than Shero does at GM'ing again for USA.
Why? Shero was Asst GM. Poile was the GM.

Everyone was selected before Poile got injured, so what does the GM have to do once they board the flights to Sochi?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

DelPen wrote:If Crosby doesn't show up and Canada loses there is going to be a lot of Penguin hate in a North America.
I'd actually laugh my ass off if Canada loses, Crosby does nothing then comes back and makes the NHL his b****
A lot of those fans and media up there deserve nothing but
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

Bylsma: We weren't able to get into this game.