The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by jf »

Orlando Penguin wrote:As a hockey fan, it was pretty nice to see Selanne leading the team around the rink after the medal ceremony. It's been a pleasure watching that man play hockey all these years.
Since Crosby came into the league , I have wanted to see Selanne skate on his line .
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:You know who doesn't lose 5-0 in a bronze medal game, amateur USA hockey players. Bring them back, end this professional led team campaign for all countries. They do it in the Summer Olympics for Soccer
And that is a wildly unwatchable an unpopular tournament
pensfaninhudsonvalley
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfaninhudsonvalley »

shmenguin wrote:
pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:You know who doesn't lose 5-0 in a bronze medal game, amateur USA hockey players. Bring them back, end this professional led team campaign for all countries. They do it in the Summer Olympics for Soccer
And that is a wildly unwatchable an unpopular tournament

wathcing games live at 3am and 7am doesn't make it a great tournament either
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The medal rounds were at normal times, but they were during work for a lot of people. Not much you can do when they are on the other side of world. They aren't going to play at 2 or 3am local time. I'd say I saw more talk about the USA/Canada game this year than I have any NHL game.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Not true, the soccer tourney is played by pros as well.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Probably didn't matter, but 2 penalty shots and a breakaway, would have been nice to at least get one shot on goal out of those...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Gaucho wrote:
The soccer tournament in the olympics is idiotic. its like 23 and under or under 23, right? I think the idea was to keep it from being all pros, but players that age are pros. No matter what you like, amateurs or just best players available, olympic soccer does it all wrong.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensfaninhudsonvalley
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfaninhudsonvalley »

bhaw wrote:The medal rounds were at normal times, but they were during work for a lot of people. Not much you can do when they are on the other side of world. They aren't going to play at 2 or 3am local time. I'd say I saw more talk about the USA/Canada game this year than I have any NHL game.
Sure because it was those 2 teams, believe me it would be no different if they were 18-21 yr old amateurs from college/junior/ahl playing. It is the olympics, that is why many watch and where hockey gets big ratings in the olympics it does not translate to big ratings for the NHL on NBC or NBCSN. We will watch, the casual fan will only watch the big game. Soccer regular season doesn't attract big ratings here unless the World Cup or a team USA qualifier.....
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

profpolisci wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I agree, and I have a big problem with that mentality, because imo, it's not one a professional should have.
If honor doesn't hold for the entire tournament then why bother?
Pitiful performance.
Yes. How can you possibly argue that you were good enough for gold when you not only lose the bronze but do so in humiliating fashion?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
The soccer tournament in the olympics is idiotic. its like 23 and under or under 23, right? I think the idea was to keep it from being all pros, but players that age are pros. No matter what you like, amateurs or just best players available, olympic soccer does it all wrong.
23 or under, but teams are allowed to carry 3 overage players. Yes, it is idiotic.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't see how you can blame Bylsma for players who obviously look like they don't care, and are trying to do everything themselves. Bylsma has been barking at them all game and they aren't doing anything.
Everyone deserves blame. Its not all Bylsma's fault. But when you're team fails to even score one goal in the Semi's and the Bronze Medal game, then some blame has to fall on him. He also guaranteed victory today. Which makes him look like a fool.

This. Bylsma's victory guarantee was amateurish and disrespectful of a proud Finnish side. He got what he deserved today. Unfortunately for Pens fans, what is past is prologue.
I was surprised when I saw that; I don't recall him ever issuing a guarantee before. A good lesson in letting your boiling emotions calm down before you speak.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 21m
Also, relax #pens fans, Team USA did not play same system as Bylsma's #nhl team. Really, what happened in Sochi has no relevance.

Yet the results are the same?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:
bhaw wrote:The medal rounds were at normal times, but they were during work for a lot of people. Not much you can do when they are on the other side of world. They aren't going to play at 2 or 3am local time. I'd say I saw more talk about the USA/Canada game this year than I have any NHL game.
Sure because it was those 2 teams, believe me it would be no different if they were 18-21 yr old amateurs from college/junior/ahl playing. It is the olympics, that is why many watch and where hockey gets big ratings in the olympics it does not translate to big ratings for the NHL on NBC or NBCSN. We will watch, the casual fan will only watch the big game. Soccer regular season doesn't attract big ratings here unless the World Cup or a team USA qualifier.....
I just don't see anything improving with amateurs. I mean, the teams have every right NOT to take NHL players. They aren't forced to. They clearly feel the teams are better with them. If they really thought having college players would improve the outcome, they would only bring college players, right?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

murphydump55 wrote:Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 21m
Also, relax #pens fans, Team USA did not play same system as Bylsma's #nhl team. Really, what happened in Sochi has no relevance.

I don't think many people mentioned system. Maybe there were some in the thread, but I didn't see a whole lot of "system" comments at all other than line matching, which isn't really system related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Gaucho wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
23 or under, but teams are allowed to carry 3 overage players. Yes, it is idiotic.
Oh yeah, I always forget those exception rules which I really hate.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Gaucho wrote:Bobby Ryan feels vindicated.
So do Kyle Okposo and Keith Yandle, I guess.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Lt. Dish wrote:
~and the Russian Olympic team.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Lt. Dish wrote:
What happens to Okposo's numbers now that Tavares is out?

I guess it won't hurt as much that I dropped Okposo earlier in the year.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Lt. Dish wrote:I was surprised when I saw that; I don't recall him ever issuing a guarantee before. A good lesson in letting your boiling emotions calm down before you speak.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/414 ... z2u4kYtgc9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Daniel87 wrote:Missed the game. I guess Rask had that magical force field up again?

Don't brag, Daniel. :wink:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

profpolisci wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I was surprised when I saw that; I don't recall him ever issuing a guarantee before. A good lesson in letting your boiling emotions calm down before you speak.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/414 ... z2u4kYtgc9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, prof. I totally missed that. Come to think of it, maybe I totally suppressed it.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Steve wrote:Probably didn't matter, but 2 penalty shots and a breakaway, would have been nice to at least get one shot on goal out of those...
I was unhappier with Kane today than I was anyone else.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens_srq »

murphydump55 wrote:Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 21m

The bottom line is this: Since the Pens won the cup, it's been pretty much record-setting humiliation for Bylsma-led teams in games that matter.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

DelPen wrote:This isn't all on Bylsma. Laviolette is a really good coach and is a bigger personality than Bylsma.
This is part of the thinking behind my question to the group a couple of pages ago.

It's not like the assistants are there for show. This isn't a blame comment, btw.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Daniel87 wrote:Missed the game. I guess Rask had that magical force field up again?
It's a shame Rask could not go against Sweden.