The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by Orlando Penguin »

That was a sterling effort by Kane.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Bylsma doesn't make the effort to get his top players away from their toughest matchups. That's not axe grinding. The degree in which it affects wins and losses is subject to interpretation, but this idea, most recently, began with the national media. Not some randy on a message board
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

It looks like DBs teams have a hard time scoring in games that matter :pop: :roll:
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

shmenguin wrote:Bylsma doesn't make the effort to get his top players away from their toughest matchups. That's not axe grinding. The degree in which it affects wins and losses is subject to interpretation, but this idea, most recently, began with the national media. Not some randy on a message board
At some point, your great players have to play like great players. A coach can only do so much.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Sure. But the idea of getting them some breathing room from time to time isn't a novel approach. If we play Boston again, I expect Crosby to be shadowed by Bergeron, with Sutter admirably preventing Chris Kelley from tearing up the score sheet.
Chirpin' Grinder
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chirpin' Grinder »

Yea it is really laughable at this point. How can Shero continue to watch it cost his teams big game after big game? How do you not put your best players in the best position to succeed? Especially when failing to do so is giving the opposing coach exactly what he wants. Disco Logic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bronze-medal games are pretty stupid. Figure out a tiebreaker, and let them go home. Seriously, who cares who finishes third?

Not sure if serious.
My hatred for everythig about that guy is well documented. That being said, im not watching the game.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Rocco wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Bylsma doesn't make the effort to get his top players away from their toughest matchups. That's not axe grinding. The degree in which it affects wins and losses is subject to interpretation, but this idea, most recently, began with the national media. Not some randy on a message board
At some point, your great players have to play like great players. A coach can only do so much.
This is the Russian philosophy. And its why a team like Fin is still playing, while the Russians are at home drinking.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bronze-medal games are pretty stupid. Figure out a tiebreaker, and let them go home. Seriously, who cares who finishes third?

Not sure if serious.
My hatred for everythig about that guy is well documented. That being said, im not watching the game.
I agree that I am not watching it. And that in theory its silly. But if I am a player and come home with a bronze medal that one day my grandson could have.
Seems pretty special to me. Maybe Im wrong but going to the olympics once in my life and losing a bronze over a tie breaker and never having the chance again. That would kind of suck.

That being said I dont put much stock in what Dejan says. I follow him on twitter for the same reason I follow a comedian. Makes me chuckle.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pcm wrote:
Rocco wrote:
This is the Russian philosophy. And its why a team like Fin is still playing, while the Russians are at home drinking.
I dunno, Finland seems to be able to rely on their best player.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Rocco wrote:

Aren't a lot of these guys on this roster 1st line players on their NHL teams? So who's to say that the US's 3rd line would be the top line on an NHL team. Also, the pairings for the Canadian team...all those guys are probably the top 2 on their NHL teams. So I don't think this whole 'keep your best players away from the toughest matchups' holds much water in Olympic play.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

USA is playing famed DB system where there's way too much space between D and F.

2-0 with JJ getting one. It's a very entertaining game no matter how this ends
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I wonder if Bylsma is telling the bench that they need to get to their game. :pop:
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

DBs tactic is to force penalty shots
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Are sticks made of balsawood these days?
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Another sterling effort by Kane. Yes, I already wrote that at the top of the page. But I guess it's Bylsma's fault like everything else is.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by luv66 »

Game over, Rask's force field is at full strength. :lol:

Just wishing for no more Penguin injuries (everyone really)
Last edited by luv66 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I love that the puck comes right back to him, as if failure just can't wait to confront Patrick Kane up close.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Orlando Penguin wrote:Another sterling effort by Kane. Yes, I already wrote that at the top of the page. But I guess it's Bylsma's fault like everything else is.
Lol are you serious? Kane's been our best player today and it's not even remotely close.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Staggy wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:Another sterling effort by Kane. Yes, I already wrote that at the top of the page. But I guess it's Bylsma's fault like everything else is.
Lol are you serious? Kane's been our best player today and it's not even remotely close.
Yep. Just can't finish.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Rocco wrote:
pcm wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I dunno, Finland seems to be able to rely on their best player.
Well, most of Finland's best players are injured... or not playing. But yeah, Rask has been good. But they're having success because they're playing as a team; credit the players for sure, but also credit the coach.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Staggy wrote:

And it's resulted in how many goals in the last 4+ periods? His stickhandling ability is very good but he's had potential goals on his stick twice in this game and hasn't even made Rask have to save it.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

^^ That being said, I've cursed us to allowing a hat trick to Kane next Saturday night at Soldier Field.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

I don't think you can blame this on Patrick Kane

Finland is playing tight game with all five players. It's hard to go against it with DBs D -> (100 feet) <- F -system despite alleged superiority in skill. Right now it's resulting in numerous counterattacks of 2on2 and 3on2s

However, there's still plenty of time for USA to win it. But oh my the entertainment value of this game! I just ordered some pizza to go with it
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I couldn't be less surprised that the US is losing this game.