The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by tifosi77 »

tfrizz wrote:But... the ref was from Great Britain.....
Canada is part of the Commonwealth. Still have the Queen on their money and everything.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

tifosi77 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:But... the ref was from Great Britain.....
Canada is part of the Commonwealth. Still have the Queen on their money and everything.
Them and their stupid Queen.....
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

In bball, a guys hs team has a much bigger advantage than a guys hockey team would have.

I think good hs teams would dominate the womens olympic team. Size, and height imparticular are so much bigger in basketball than hockey. All the guy would be able to dunk, maybe 1 or 2 girls could, but likely not in the game. The guys would get all the rebounds.

The USA womens hockey team did prepare for this tourney by playing boys hs teams, I think somewhere in Massachussettes. I forget the exact numbers, but I think they won about half.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Also, Russia is in a race with the USA to win the medal count... tie breaker is # of golds. No way Russia was going to let USA win this game.
Spoiler:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:This begs the question

A good men's high school basketball team versus the USA women's olympic basketball team in a game of basketball - who would win and what would the score be?
Not sure that's a fair comparison, since the net is lower for women's b-ball. Hockey, everything is the same.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Why are we comparing men's and women's sports? Not sure what relevance it has to this discussion whatsoever.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

shafnutz05 wrote:Why are we comparing men's and women's sports? Not sure what relevance it has to this discussion whatsoever.
Sour grapes.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

shafnutz05 wrote:Why are we comparing men's and women's sports? Not sure what relevance it has to this discussion whatsoever.
Because Title IX - that's why
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

tifosi77 wrote:

A good men's high school basketball team versus the USA women's olympic basketball team in a game of basketball - who would win and what would the score be?
Not sure that's a fair comparison, since the net is lower for women's b-ball. Hockey, everything is the same.
I always thought the net was the same height...
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

Idoit40fans wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

I always thought the net was the same height...
Me too.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yeah... unless it's lingerie football, any sport is more exciting to watch the men over the women just because they're more athletic.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Oh, I thought it was 9'.

Maybe I'm thinking volleyball. Or something.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

count2infinity wrote:Also, Russia is in a race with the USA to win the medal count... tie breaker is # of golds. No way Russia was going to let USA win this game.
Spoiler:
The cat's face makes this. :lol:
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

tifosi77 wrote:Oh, I thought it was 9'.

Volleyball is lower for sure.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

First off - did Canada score that on a 5 on 3? If so - So how long was the 5 on 3 at the end? It would only be like 2 seconds based on the penalty time, right?
I saw some people discussing it, but wasn't sure what the discussion was about.

or was it a 4 on 3 goal
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DropEmJayBird wrote:First off - did Canada score that on a 5 on 3? If so - So how long was the 5 on 3 at the end? It would only be like 2 seconds based on the penalty time, right?
Questioned why it wasn't 3-2 instead of 4-3. Don't think time expired and there would have been 5 seconds difference between the time the US got their first person out.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Interesting that a lot of Canadian media on twitter were ripping the officials.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

DelPen wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:First off - did Canada score that on a 5 on 3? If so - So how long was the 5 on 3 at the end? It would only be like 2 seconds based on the penalty time, right?
Questioned why it wasn't 3-2 instead of 4-3. Don't think time expired and there would have been 5 seconds difference between the time the US got their first person out.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but you can't have just two people on the ice.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

itissteeltime wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but you can't have just two people on the ice.
That's why they brought it back up to a 4-on-3 PP. Someone was just wondering how Canada was at full strength again.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

llipgh2 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Also, Russia is in a race with the USA to win the medal count... tie breaker is # of golds. No way Russia was going to let USA win this game.
Spoiler:
I am pretty sure that everywhere in the world but in the US (and yes, not even in Russia http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic14/medals//" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) the default ranking for any Olympics is Golds, then Silvers (1st tiebreaker) , then Bronzes (2nd tiebreaker). So, Norway is pretty much universally considered the country to beat right now.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Tomas wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Spoiler:
I am pretty sure that everywhere in the world but in the US (and yes, not even in Russia http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic14/medals//" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) the default ranking for any Olympics is Golds, then Silvers (1st tiebreaker) , then Bronzes (2nd tiebreaker). So, Norway is pretty much universally considered the country to beat right now.
well, this is Merica, and in Merica we look at medal totals, so yeah... we're winning.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

DelPen wrote:Interesting that a lot of Canadian media on twitter were ripping the officials.
Because the officiating has been terrible this entire tournament. The most important tournament for the women, and the officiating is worse than sub-par.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Wouldn't it make more sense to assign like points for gold, 2 points for silver, 1 point for bronze medals or something?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

count2infinity wrote:
Tomas wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Spoiler:
well, this is Merica, and in Merica we look at medal totals, so yeah... we're winning.
Actually, even 'Merica ranked it that way until the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. They had fallen behind in the gold count but were winning the total medal count, so broadcasters and news outlets started ranking it by medal count.
Last edited by tfrizz on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

itissteeltime wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Oh, I thought it was 9'.

Volleyball is lower for sure.
The net is the same height.

However, not only is the ball lighter, but it's smaller too, while the hoop remains the same size.