Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by BadHands71 »

Shyster wrote: I agree the first speed is too slow for effective kneading, but I use it (and IIRC the Kitchenaid manual said to do this) for approximately two minutes in order to bring the ingredients together. King Arthur Flour also recommends starting on the slowest speed and then increasing once everything is together. If I go right to the second speed it will fling flour all over the counter. I've had my Artisan for about five years or so and use it to bake bread every single week. It's plenty powerful so long as you don't overload the bowl. Based on my experience it's ability to effectively knead a batch runs out at about 28 ounces of flour or so. My standard weekly bake is a two-loaf batch using 22 ounces of flour. I've used this mixer to make literally hundreds of loaves of bread.
My apologies, I was assuming the ingredients are already mixed into a rough dough. That's how I do mine and I wasn't thinking about the procedure of mixing everything with the kitchen-aid first. Oh well, different approaches. Obviously the second speed straight away will fling flour over the counter. I just prefer hand mixing until a rough dough forms and kneading from there.

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the Artisan mixer, I just don't own that particular model myself and was unfamiliar with the particular specifications. I know the Artisan has significantly less power than mine (i'm too lazy to look up the amounts). I've been baking bread for about 12 years with KitchenAid mixers (first my moms and then mine). I certainly wasn't insulting the Artisan, just making a note based on my own experience. I don't know what model mac has and I'm sure there are differences between the models that I wasn't taking into account. All i know is KitchenAid's are awesome mixers and mine is a workhorse in my kitchen! They get :thumb: :thumb: from this user.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Is there a difference in active yeast vs "pizza dough yeast"?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I learned how to use a keurig today. Like a grown up i made hot chocalate and put extra marshmallows in it.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

mac5155 wrote:Is there a difference in active yeast vs "pizza dough yeast"?
Yes. Pizza dough yeast is formulated with a dough relaxing agent to prevent the dough from snapping back and to make it easier to stretch out. It's also formulated to work pretty much immediately with no rise so that dough can be made and put in the oven within a half out. It CANNOT be used to make bread because it will end up overproofed and the bread won't shape right.

Personally, I don't use Pizza dough yeast because I get better results with instant yeast. Also, instant yeast gives you way more control over the dough than PDY because the PDY has the additives. There are tons of crust recipes that don't require special yeast, King Arthur has a few that I've used and been happy with.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Going to google this King Arthur dude. Lol
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

mac5155 wrote:Going to google this King Arthur dude. Lol
Their website has some great recipes and their Baker's Hotline is helpful when you have a question or issue. The only downside is that some of their recipes call for specialty ingredients that they sell. Most of these specialty ingredients can either be omitted or they will note a substitution in the recipe. It's a good starting point for a lot of different baked goods and can be a helpful resource.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

theres something about the phrase dough hook that makes me laugh
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

the best pizza dough in my opinion is made the day before and allowed to do most of the fermentation in the cold. To me, it has a better texture and feel to the dough if it's in the refrigerator overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator about an hour an a half, two hours before cooking.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

count2infinity wrote:the best pizza dough in my opinion is made the day before and allowed to do most of the fermentation in the cold. To me, it has a better texture and feel to the dough if it's in the refrigerator overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator about an hour an a half, two hours before cooking.

Perhaps it was by necessity, but that's the way it was done at the pizza place I worked at. The dough for you pie was always made the day before.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I just pop everything in the bread maker for 90 minutes. Works pretty well.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

count2infinity wrote:the best pizza dough in my opinion is made the day before and allowed to do most of the fermentation in the cold. To me, it has a better texture and feel to the dough if it's in the refrigerator overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator about an hour an a half, two hours before cooking.
I absolutely agree with this. Not just for pizza dough but many other yeast items as well.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

There are a number of names for doing so (e.g., biga, poolish, sponge, pâte fermentée), but many, many forms of bread baking use a subset of ingredients that have been prefermented using baker’s yeast. Biga and poolish usually refer to a mixture made that is separately made up hours in advance and then mixed into the rest of the dough, while pâte fermentée literally means “old dough” and refers to the practice of saving a chunk of the prior day’s dough (left festering overnight) to toss in the next day’s batch. The idea in all cases is to add flavor to the bread from the actions of the yeast (mmm, delicious yeast pee). And of course the ultimate preferment is the sourdough starter, which also includes wild yeasts and lactic-acid bacteria.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I think I'm going to butter poach shrimp tonight. Any tips/suggestions for doing so?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

BadHands71 wrote:My apologies, I was assuming the ingredients are already mixed into a rough dough. … Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking the Artisan mixer….
No offense taken whatsoever.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

One final question - I have read bread flour is better than all purpose for pizza dough. Thoughts?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Strawberry BBQ chicken with garlic flavored couscous and baby snap peas. I cant wait....
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

mac5155 wrote:One final question - I have read bread flour is better than all purpose for pizza dough. Thoughts?
without a doubt use bread flour. mine are usually a 3:1 ratio of bread flour to whole wheat flour.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

count2infinity wrote:
mac5155 wrote:One final question - I have read bread flour is better than all purpose for pizza dough. Thoughts?
without a doubt use bread flour.
Again, agreed with c2i here. Bread flour makes a huge difference over all purpose flour with something like pizza dough. The higher level of protein in bread flour aids the development of gluten which helps to create rise and texture in the finished dough. It's not expensive, about 3 bucks for a 5 pound bag at giant eagle. Well worth the cost!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Mrs. c2i was sick on Monday, so we had soup instead of what we had planned to have: sushi and veggie egg rolls. We made the sushi today (cucumber-avocado) and we ran out of veggies from cooking some of them last night and for the soup, so some of the egg rolls have some left over pulled pork from the weekend in them... good God are the pulled pork ones delicious. We are definitely going to have to do those again.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Whether AP is appropriate depends on the protein content of the flour. King Arthur often uses its AP flour for its pizza-crust recipes, but then again King Arthur's AP flour has a pretty high protein content. At 11.7% KA's AP flour is only one percent below its bread flour, which runs 12.7% protein. Other brands of AP flour usually have protein contents of only 8% to 10%—especially ones sold in the South, which are usually made from soft wheat.
Last edited by Shyster on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Wow, I didn't realize KA AP was that high in protein. Definitely more familiar with AP being in the 8-10 range.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I am admittedly lazy when it comes to pizza dough... I usually just buy frozen dough. I realize it's not anywhere near as good, but... lazy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I just tried crab cakes for the first time. Based on the girlfriend's reaction it seems to be a success taste wise...i need to make some alterations with the size of the chunks of meat and of the cakes in general, but it was a success. Not sure why I never made those before.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

the wicked child wrote:I am admittedly lazy when it comes to pizza dough... I usually just buy frozen dough. I realize it's not anywhere near as good, but... lazy.
Ditto..but I figured might as well get some use from this stand mixer
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Shyster wrote:Whether AP is appropriate depends on the protein content of the flour. King Arthur often uses its AP flour for its pizza-crust recipes, but then again King Arthur's AP flour has a pretty high protein content. At 11.7% KA's AP flour is only one percent below its bread flour, which runs 12.7% protein. Other brands of AP flour usually have protein contents of only 8% to 10%—especially ones sold in the South, which are usually made from soft wheat.
Good point Shyster. It's important to take protein levels into account. Even given the high protein level of KA AP flour, I've personally had more consistent results using bread flour for pizza dough. I also found when I was new to yeast dough, bread flour makes a small but noticeable difference in the gluten development which makes the dough easier to work with. Also, different styles of "sponge starters" are effected by different protein levels in the flour. It's amazing how big of an impact protein levels and flour can have on the finished product.

The other thing is, since KA's AP flour is so much higher in protein, I definitely consider it closer to bread flour when I bake. Certain baked goods, especially muffins and quick breads benefit from a higher protein AP flour. It also leads to crisper cookies. I keep 2 different All Purpose flours on hand and blend as necessary for my uses. It's more work but I find I get more consistent results.

For the casual baker, All Purpose and bread flour are pretty much all you need. Maybe whole wheat flour if desired. (Substitute carefully, ww flour has an effect on gluten development.) More serious bakers will have as many as 10 different flours or flour blends (wheat based only, not including sorghum, potato and corn as well as other variations. I might know something about this from experience...). Every flour has different pros and cons and effects yeast end dough differently. Understanding how different flours work allows for substitution and means coming up with your own different variations.