Team Russia

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Team Russia

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:While we're talking about Varly and I see meow in the distance...meow, any other goalies come to mind that have a better blocker than glove hand like Varly does (in my opinion)? I can't really think of any others...
Lundqvist quickly comes to mind. Bryzgalov. Maybe Labarbara.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Well, now I know you're talking jive...LaBarbera doesn't have "better" anything...his blocker is worse than his glove and his glove is worse than his blocker...

Bryzgalov, yeah, there's a good case for that...good call there. I don't love Hank's glove, especially early in his career, as it was more of a second blocker...but it has improved, to his credit, I think...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Lundqvist's glove has improved. At least he can close it now. Bryzgalov's blocker is excellent. Very quick and great with rebounds off it.

Now, Labarbara. If I was in the most unfortunate sitituation of having my life rest in his ability to stop a puck, I'd be praying they went high stick and making sure my will was in order.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

:lol:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Oh, and Danny Blackburn :pop:
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by luv66 »

Announcers keep screwing up the players' names due to the switched up numbers on their jerseys.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:Well, now I know you're talking jive...LaBarbera doesn't have "better" anything...his blocker is worse than his glove and his glove is worse than his blocker...

Bryzgalov, yeah, there's a good case for that...good call there. I don't love Hank's glove, especially early in his career, as it was more of a second blocker...but it has improved, to his credit, I think...
I debated putting Bob on my initial list. I think he might have a better blocker than a catcher.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ooh, that's a pretty good call too...

The Dan Blackburn comment is worth 4.5 Subbans out of 5 on the classless scale...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

:pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

What did Radulov do? Russia is thinking of scratching him next game.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

MRandall25 wrote:What did Radulov do? Russia is thinking of scratching him next game.
2 bad penalties that led to both of USA's goals.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by slipshod »

Does anyone else think there was something odd about the Russians using Malkin once in the shootout then using Kovalchuk almost exclusively?

I am probably reading too much into it but Kovalchuk came running back to Mother Russia and Malkin ran away to the US.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

It's not any different than putting Oshie out there 6 or 7 times.

Kovalchuk was the hot hand. You're reading way too far into it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

What's Kovalchuk's career SO%?

It was probably a combination of that and the fact that he scored the first time while Geno didn't.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I don't think any of their numbers matter. Kovalchuk scored. Malkin didn't. Attributing anything else to the decision to ride Kovalchuk is reading too far into the situation.

Again, it's exactly like what the US did with TJ Oshie.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The Russians are a hot mess right now. Their issues can be fixed, but I doubt they will put in the sweat effort to get it done.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I believe the wrong guys are setting the tone for them. They need Datsyuk and maybe Geno to lead them, not Radulov and Ovechkin. And I do think they could use Gonchar, both for his leadership and PP skills.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest the Pens sign Radulov, because playing with Sid will surely straighten him out.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Straighten out Crosby or Radulov?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I dont think there would ever be a single person, who knows Radulov's history, would suggest they trade for him to play with Sid.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Crankshaft wrote:I dont think there would ever be a single person, who knows Radulov's history, would suggest they trade for him to play with Sid.
Key being "who knows Radulov's history".

Then again, some people who know Stewart's history still want to trade for him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

meow wrote:The Russians are a hot mess right now. Their issues can be fixed, but I doubt they will put in the sweat effort to get it done.
Too many "me" players, not enough "team" players.

Which is pretty much what everyone expects of them.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Not sure why everyone is so down on the Russians. They haven't been scored on in 2 games. And the Americans only scored on them on the PP... supposedly the "hottest" team in the tournament barely eeked out a win against them.

Their biggest challenge is in getting offensive help from the blueline... and the pressure of home ice. But offense is scarce for everyone in this tournament...
MRandall25 wrote:Which is pretty much what everyone expects of them.

I guess it's just confirmation bias.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

pcm wrote:Not sure why everyone is so down on the Russians. They haven't been scored on in 2 games. And the Americans only scored on them on the PP... supposedly the "hottest" team in the tournament barely eeked out a win against them.

Their biggest challenge is in getting offensive help from the blueline... and the pressure of home ice. But offense is scarce for everyone in this tournament...
Good point.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

pcm wrote:Their biggest challenge is in getting offensive help from the blueline... and the pressure of home ice. But offense is scarce for everyone in this tournament...
This is pretty much what I was talking about. Their forwards at 8 miles (I guess 13 kilometers since they are in Russia) away from their defensemen during a break out. And with the way teams are clogging the neutral zone and the middle of the ice...good luck with that. I'm not blaming their D for being invisible as much as their forwards being careless about working as a team.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The Russians are who we thought they were. Leaderless, devoid of any real emotion or competitive fire. The tools are there, they just do not collectively appear to want to use them.

Despite the derpy penalty against Team America, Radulov appears to be the only one playing with more than an ounce of givesash|t.
pcm wrote:Not sure why everyone is so down on the Russians. They haven't been scored on in 2 games.
They also went 100+ minutes in those two games without scoring a goal themselves. Against not-elite teams.