George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

I'm pretty sure we're going to see more torture scenes from Ramsay. Hopefully none as ridiculously drawn out as the one where Theon lost his most prized possession.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

His pinky?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Not sure what color it was.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I have no clue what they're getting at with the greyjoy plot. I can't think of any way they could get his sister back to the iron islands to contend for her father's throne AND then get her back to the mainland to get captured. I guess they could just leave her out of all that iron islands business, and have an arc where she tries to save theon but fails. Don't know how you could fill 2+ seasons with that story though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I hope they just skip the iron islands kingsmoot.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I just hope they skip 60-70% of books 4 and 5. They must be aware that they'll need to punch it up a little for the tv show. If they stick to the source material, season 5 is going to lose them a lot of viewers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I didnt find those books as disinteresting as everyone else but yeah, there is a lo they can leave out.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Yeah, not a huge fan of the whole Iron Islands storyline.

Interested to see where they go with Arya's story.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I wish they could just catch up completely with arya by addressing only that storyline for the first 3 episodes.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I think they are going to greatly streamline books 4 and 5.

There is some interesting material in there, but there is also a lot of filler too. The issue will be that they are likely to be out of material for some of the characters by the end of season 5, if not sooner and it's unlikely that they will have the 6th book to go off of when writing that season... so I'm not sure how much they can cut just on that alone.

As it stands though, they would definitely lose viewers in season 5 if they decided to include a lot of the "filler" material.

Despite not knowing what is coming in books 6 and 7, I would say there is a very good chance that Season 4 is going to be the best season as long as the writers don't screw the pooch... so much juicy material to work with. Will they be able to follow that up and not lose the show-only folks? I'm not sure.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

It's gotta be heavy on the wedding and Tyrion lines. Right?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

blackjack68 wrote:It's gotta be heavy on the wedding and Tyrion lines. Right?
Oh, indeed.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

https://vine.co/v/M7L1M7eKdtv
Some poor schmuck about to become dragon Drogon food.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I've seen a lot of debate as to whether the walker they show at the end of the trailer is Cold Hands (or a facsimile thereof) or just another white walker. I'm leaning towards the former myself... yeah, it's not an elk, but the horse is alive... and I'm not sure that they would focus on just a random walker in the trailer like that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:I've seen a lot of debate as to whether the walker they show at the end of the trailer is Cold Hands (or a facsimile thereof) or just another white walker. I'm leaning towards the former myself... yeah, it's not an elk, but the horse is alive... and I'm not sure that they would focus on just a random walker in the trailer like that.
it's just a walker, imo. they'd stick it in the trailer because people go gaga over walkers (though they technically aren't "walkers", right? they're "others"). cold hands wasn't a menacing-looking figure in the book, IIRC.

a couple of other things from the trailer...theon is riding a horse looking very un-tortured. i wonder if it's a flashback or if they give him a brief vacation from bolton. and they either went back to the original gregor clegane or they got a 3rd actor to play him. either way, i'm glad they aren't using the string bean from season 2.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Theon's story has been expanded on greatly from the books. This could be another slight change from...
Spoiler:
after Ramsey has him so messed up to becoming Reek he then forces him back to Theon again to get his people to surrender Moat Cailin.
I also pictured something else different...
Spoiler:
The fight between Red Viper and Gregor, I imagined it like what you see at a renasiance festival, out in the open with dirt and grass. This looks more like a Westeros version of a UFC octagon
There is still plenty of material to finish off Storm of Swords and not go into the next two books. There's only what, 8 episodes a season?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

shmenguin wrote:a couple of other things from the trailer...theon is riding a horse looking very un-tortured. i wonder if it's a flashback or if they give him a brief vacation from bolton. and they either went back to the original gregor clegane or they got a 3rd actor to play him. either way, i'm glad they aren't using the string bean from season 2.
They got a new actor for Gregor, and I'm really happy about it.

As for Theon, based on a scene from the book I think it is, it's not a flashback.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

some things gleaned from the various footage going around...
Spoiler:
-joffrey's wedding is episode 4 at the latest
-tyrion's trial is definitely episode 6
-bronn is the one who trains jamie to fight south paw

so the mountain vs the viper is probably episode 7 or 8 with tyrion escaping in episode 9, if i had to guess.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

and by the way, based on how the episodes appear to be lining up, it looks like the lady who directed the "holy s***!!!" episode of breaking bad last year is going to be directing joffrey's wedding. so that's pretty cool.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Can't....wait....for.....the wedding....
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Me neither.
Spoiler:
Yes, I cheated.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Spangler wrote:
shmenguin wrote:a couple of other things from the trailer...theon is riding a horse looking very un-tortured. i wonder if it's a flashback or if they give him a brief vacation from bolton. and they either went back to the original gregor clegane or they got a 3rd actor to play him. either way, i'm glad they aren't using the string bean from season 2.
They got a new actor for Gregor, and I'm really happy about it.

As for Theon, based on a scene from the book I think it is, it's not a flashback.
Yeah im guessing some of the noteworthy effects of his captivity were just left out.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re:Theon
Spoiler:
I am pretty sure that scene is Ramsay sending him to Moat Cailin To get them to surrender.

I won't be shocked if they downplay some of the physical damage he suffers simply because it would make every future scene involving him more expensive and time consuming to shoot.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Re:Theon
Spoiler:
I am pretty sure that scene is Ramsay sending him to Moat Cailin To get them to surrender.

I won't be shocked if they downplay some of the physical damage he suffers simply because it would make every future scene involving him more expensive and time consuming to shoot.
Spoiler:
There's not that much left to show, right? And in the books they never even went into the acts as they were happening. It took me a while to even realize Reek was Theon even after he got his men to surrender. They can just say every thing else that happened to him without taking away anything else from the stroy. At this point it will be all the psychological damage done and his reaction to that we should see focused on.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i forgot that theon was sent to do that
Spoiler:
so in the show, i imagine his sister is there when he goes to talk them into a surrender. her men get butchered and she escapes back to the islands? and then next season she does the kingsmoot thing and eventually goes BACK to the mainland and finally gets captured by stannis?