Team Canada

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Team Canada

Post by shmenguin »

superconan wrote:I agree that he is playing better then in 2010.
agreed
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

I have finally found the article which expresses the "Sid factor" for the Canadian Olympic team. This quote really says it all.

"Everyone evaluates Sid on scoring and I evaluate Sid on winning" after Sunday’s 2-1 overtime win over Finland.

If Sid's line takes the other team's best defenders and cancels them out, then the other lines for Canada get better matchups. This also factors into the Pens situation in a smaller way (but only 1 other scoring line)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/sidney ... easurable/
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Penspal wrote:I have finally found the article which expresses the "Sid factor" for the Canadian Olympic team. This quote really says it all.

"Everyone evaluates Sid on scoring and I evaluate Sid on winning" after Sunday’s 2-1 overtime win over Finland.

If Sid's line takes the other team's best defenders and cancels them out, then the other lines for Canada get better matchups. This also factors into the Pens situation in a smaller way (but only 1 other scoring line)

ehhhh...this is really stretching it. norway and austria don't have shutdown lines. and finland plays a solid team game, but they aren't trotting out lidstrom and rafalski either. also, the article's opening argument is, "He hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against" - which is a little dubious. they've let up 2 goals. at minimum, you could make that claim about half the team without even digging into the box scores.

i think mikey made a lot of good points. no one is superman anymore. you can't just will yourself to take over a game. i used to think that sid was different, but we've seen too often that that's not the case. he's human afterall.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

shmenguin wrote:
Penspal wrote:I have finally found the article which expresses the "Sid factor" for the Canadian Olympic team. This quote really says it all.

ehhhh...this is really stretching it. norway and austria don't have shutdown lines. and finland plays a solid team game, but they aren't trotting out lidstrom and rafalski either. also, the article's opening argument is, "He hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against" - which is a little dubious. they've let up 2 goals. at minimum, you could make that claim about half the team without even digging into the box scores.

i think mikey made a lot of good points. no one is superman anymore. you can't just will yourself to take over a game. i used to think that sid was different, but we've seen too often that that's not the case. he's human afterall.
Sid might've been different if he had a little more size. He's below average in that department, being listed at 5'11" 200lbs when the average NHL forward is 6'1" 202.4lbs. Sid is freakishly strong, but a bigger frame would definitely help when it comes to taking over a game.

Oddly enough, I've always considered Bergeron to be a bit on the small side - yet he stands at 6'2" 194lbs!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Can't wait for Canada to lose and all the good Crosby did in the last Olympics will be like it never happened. There are far too many north of the boarder who would love to see Sid fail and will jump all over him the first chance they get.

It's sad really.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Bioshock wrote:Can't wait for Canada to lose and all the good Crosby did in the last Olympics will be like it never happened. There are far too many north of the boarder who would love to see Sid fail and will jump all over him the first chance they get.

It's sad really.
You think?

That was an iconic moment for Canada. I think his legacy or whatever is cemented among Canadians as far as Olympic glory goes -- no matter what happens in Sochi or anywhere else.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The problem is everyone is cuing on Crosby's "lack" of production, and completely ignoring half of Canada's roster, including the guy most of Sid's detractors would have rather had as captain (Toews).

I'm actually curious as to whether or not people would be this harsh on him if Toews were captain? Part of me thinks it would be lessened, but the other part of me knows that people will complain about Crosby regardless of what he does. He could score 6 goals the next game, but people will complain about him hitting a post and not getting 7.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think they should fight in the outdoor game.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Crosby would beat Mr Personality's ass
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bioshock wrote:Can't wait for Canada to lose and all the good Crosby did in the last Olympics will be like it never happened. There are far too many north of the boarder who would love to see Sid fail and will jump all over him the first chance they get.

It's sad really.
Bio, I'm gonna disagree here actually. Canadians, largely, love Crosby. It's just our division rivals that really don't. The Eastern Seaboard doesn't care much for him (largely because he beats them...badly...repeatedly...) but barns out West sell out to see him and the Canadians seem to have a very positive opinion of him...

Obviously, protesting will always be louder than contentment...but this "everyone hates Crosby" thing is largely propagated by the nature of being so close to our division rivals...I don't think it's as real as people make it out to be...and I talk a lot of puck...but maybe I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but I've never really been accused of being a homer by any one of merit...

Canada, above all, wants to win at hockey. Their politicians, their citizens, their businesses...everybody. Crosby gives them the best chance to do that in a vacuum...they will root for him.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

mikey287 wrote:

It's sad really.
Bio, I'm gonna disagree here actually. Canadians, largely, love Crosby. It's just our division rivals that really don't. The Eastern Seaboard doesn't care much for him (largely because he beats them...badly...repeatedly...) but barns out West sell out to see him and the Canadians seem to have a very positive opinion of him...

Obviously, protesting will always be louder than contentment...but this "everyone hates Crosby" thing is largely propagated by the nature of being so close to our division rivals...I don't think it's as real as people make it out to be...and I talk a lot of puck...but maybe I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but I've never really been accused of being a homer by any one of merit...

Canada, above all, wants to win at hockey. Their politicians, their citizens, their businesses...everybody. Crosby gives them the best chance to do that in a vacuum...they will root for him.
I think you're right. It's a vocal minority. I just see it on twitter and stuff and it bothers me. Like, if you got such a problem, we can have him change nationalities and he can be our guy, okay? That's how i feel anyways. I just don't feel like he's appreciated enough sometimes and it makes me mad.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

shmenguin wrote:no one is superman anymore. you can't just will yourself to take over a game. i used to think that sid was different, but we've seen too often that that's not the case. he's human afterall.
I think the only person who can do that is the goalie.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

...which ends up just being luck anyways
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

superconan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:no one is superman anymore. you can't just will yourself to take over a game. i used to think that sid was different, but we've seen too often that that's not the case. he's human afterall.
I think the only person who can do that is the goalie.
This X1000
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Shakes wrote:

It's sad really.
You think?

That was an iconic moment for Canada. I think his legacy or whatever is cemented among Canadians as far as Olympic glory goes -- no matter what happens in Sochi or anywhere else.
As a Canadian, I don't. They're already crucifying him for his lack of offense through the preliminary round of these Olympics. Though, those same people turn around and say that Toews (1 point) and Tavares (0 points) have been Canada's best forwards.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

MRandall25 wrote:The problem is everyone is cuing on Crosby's "lack" of production, and completely ignoring half of Canada's roster, including the guy most of Sid's detractors would have rather had as captain (Toews).

I'm actually curious as to whether or not people would be this harsh on him if Toews were captain? Part of me thinks it would be lessened, but the other part of me knows that people will complain about Crosby regardless of what he does. He could score 6 goals the next game, but people will complain about him hitting a post and not getting 7.
They're extra-hash on Sid because most people felt that Toews should be captain, even though the team (including Toews) was fine with the choice.

But at the same time, it's Sid. They were ready to throw him into the Pacific Ocean in Vancouver until he scored the golden goal, and they're ready to ship him to Siberia now despite being 2-1-0-0.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Kunitz hasn't helped Crosby. When Kunitz is out there, I expect him to be crashing the net and he's not. Babcock being able to dress 13 forwards makes Kunitz a luxury. You'll know in the first five minutes of the game if he's going to have a good night.

I think Babcock is trying to win the tournament, not the top seed in the preliminaries. Playing with combinations is a much better option in the first three games than the elimination rounds. In my opinion, Sid's weakness if face offs right now and Babcock putting Sid with Bergeron increased the offensive zone time they had. They just didn't score.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:The problem is everyone is cuing on Crosby's "lack" of production, and completely ignoring half of Canada's roster, including the guy most of Sid's detractors would have rather had as captain (Toews).

They're extra-hash on Sid because most people felt that Toews should be captain, even though the team (including Toews) was fine with the choice.

But at the same time, it's Sid. They were ready to throw him into the Pacific Ocean in Vancouver until he scored the golden goal, and they're ready to ship him to Siberia now despite being 2-1-0-0.
Is it because Jonathan Toews is a good ole Winnipeg boy where Cindy Crysby is from Nova Scotia, aka, not real Canada?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Crankshaft wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Is it because Jonathan Toews is a good ole Winnipeg boy where Cindy Crysby is from Nova Scotia, aka, not real Canada?
It's because Cindy Crysby is a whiner!
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Sid isn't exactly getting tons of ice time, either. Had a little more than 16 minutes yesterday.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Durbano wrote:Sid isn't exactly getting tons of ice time, either. Had a little more than 16 minutes yesterday.
He's the second highest forward in TOI behind Toews.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

tfrizz wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Does he seriously still have that reputation in Canada?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Babcock is rolling four lines, no one can really get going...but he doesn't want to upset anyone...but on big ice, the short shift game isn't necessarily as effective...sometimes you need the skill players to get out there and stretch their legs...let's see if Canada figures it out in time (or, conversely, that I'm full of it...)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Crankshaft wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Does he seriously still have that reputation in Canada?
You should have seen the amount of people calling him a diver after that penalty he drew against Finland.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

tfrizz wrote:
Durbano wrote:Sid isn't exactly getting tons of ice time, either. Had a little more than 16 minutes yesterday.
He's the second highest forward in TOI behind Toews.
But it's still 5 or 6 fewer minutes per game than he's used to, I think. Between that reduction and the rotating line-mates, it's not a shock he hasn't lit it up.