Team Canada

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Team Canada

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah I turned on the game at 1-0, I was mixed up about the teams for a few minutes.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I didn't like that Slovakia and the USA had the same jerseys just inverse.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah I turned on the game at 1-0, I was mixed up about the teams for a few minutes.
Was watching the game at work through a stream...and I thought the audio was off because Doc was describing Austrian things when the white and red team had the puck...took me about a shift and a half or two shifts to even realize...I saw one of the Austrians skate with the puck and I was like, "who was that, he sucks..." and then I put it all together... :face:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah I turned on the game at 1-0, I was mixed up about the teams for a few minutes.
Was watching the game at work through a stream...and I thought the audio was off because Doc was describing Austrian things when the white and red team had the puck...took me about a shift and a half or two shifts to even realize...I saw one of the Austrians skate with the puck and I was like, "who was that, he sucks..." and then I put it all together... :face:
Yeah I had to see a closeup of a couple Austrians on the bench to realize what was going on.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

tfrizz wrote:
meow wrote:Canada's black sweaters are killer.
And Austria's white sweaters are Canadian :?
I did Nazi those uniforms coming.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Retweeted by Eric Majeski
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 23m

Poor 91 RT @LD10: Crosby best " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nano second caught Sid being Sid. :P
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by luv66 »

penny lane wrote:Retweeted by Eric Majeski
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 23m

Poor 91 RT @LD10: Crosby best " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nano second caught Sid being Sid. :P

so good
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

npv708 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
meow wrote:Canada's black sweaters are killer.
And Austria's white sweaters are Canadian :?
I did Nazi those uniforms coming.
Ugh, boooooooo

:lol:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The dark Canada unis strike me as a cross between a ninja outfit and the Dodge flag.
Spoiler:
I really don't like any of the uniforms. Just a bunch of gimmicky elements all tossed together and then pressed into a template. The fake plastic/reflective crossed laces at the neckline are the worst part. Nike basically did to the Olympics what they did to the NFL, but even less creative. I almost bought a Nedved but, nah. At least tomorrow I can break out my 1980 Team USA jersey and stare smugly at my television.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Canada's woes are all Sid's fault.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1962 ... eam-canada

I think Babcock and the coaching staff are the problem. They can't figure out what they want the team to be.

I'm not a DB fan, but he figured out an identity for Team USA and they are playing like a team.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Compared to what he's capable of, Crosby hasn't been good in this Olympics. Or the last one. Or the SCF in 09. Or last year against Boston. Or 2010 against Montreal.

I don't know how damning that all is, but I wouldn't blame people for being skeptical of his play when the stage gets bigger.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I don't know what people want him to do...I think he's played well in the tournament so far, he's been more impactful than he was in 2010...his attention to detail is even higher...

Has he been their best player? No, Drew Doughty has been. Best forward? No, John Tavares has been. But he's definitely on my "positive impact" list, for sure...

With all due respect, he's not Gretzky. People want him to be the best at everything, all the time, all day...and he's pretty damn close, but the talent around the league and around the world has proliferated in such a way and the game has sped up so much, that it's tougher for skill to rise the top every single time...

I don't know how many points he has (I'm assuming not many, because why else would the box score thumpers be out in full throat), or John Tavares has or Doughty or Bouwmeester have, but I know they've been some of the finer players for Canada...they might all have less points than some of the disappointments: Pietrangelo, Marleau, Perry, Nash...I don't know or care...you can see the guys that are making a positive impact on most or every shift...you win enough shifts, you'll win the game...all the points in the world against Austria or Norway won't help you one bit when you need a goal against the Americans or the Swedes...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The complaining will go away after they take gold. That team is just too much to stop.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Nash hasnt been a disappointment. He has played to expectations.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

mikey287 wrote:With all due respect, he's not Gretzky.
Ya it feels like people expect Sid to put points up like it's 1987.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Nash hasnt been a disappointment. He has played to expectations.
Some snark, but kinda fair. I watched a lot of Rick Nash coming into the Olympics and he was playing like he did his rookie season or second season, the 41 goal one...he had a chip on his shoulder and was really taking over games, he was drawing a lot of attention to himself which opened up Chris Kreider a lot, he really was the impactful player he can be...so I started to up my expectations a tick or tick and a half...

People expect these power forward types, well, modern power forwards, as they were a breed to start with, but they hardly exist at all anymore...people expect these modern forwards to go 120% all the time, every time, 82 games, then playoffs...and it's hard...I mean, it just wears you out playing that game...big guys fall hard...

"well, then why pay Nash all this money, when blah blah blah blah blah blah...blah, blah blah. blah." Because when he takes over a game, it's done like few others...you pay for that game to game potential...and it may sound silly, and it may sound like a bad investment...and scientifically or whatever, it might very well be and that's fine...but when a player like Rick Nash is on, you can't stop him...when Todd Bertuzzi was on, he was tough to stop and he didn't need much of a center to do it...remember, the Western Express featured Brendan Morrison...when Lindros was on, it took a freight train to stop him...

I didn't mean to get off on a rare "defending Rick Nash" tangent...and it's indirect defense at best...but if he could do what he's done the past 10 or 15 NHL games a little more often, he's worth his weight in gold...and that's a lot of weight...he won't get real dirty and grimy like some of his predecessors...but he can break a game open way more than, say, a Corey Perry could...
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Where does this notion of Crosby sucking in Vancouver come from? He has 7 points in 7 games (albeit one was a shootout goal but it did, you know, win them the game) and scored one of the biggest goals in Canada's history. Was he the best player in the tournament? No, but he played well. People are using a 7 game (or 3) sample size in a best on best setting with new linemates to try to prove...what exactly?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Staggy wrote:Where does this notion of Crosby sucking in Vancouver come from? He has 7 points in 7 games (albeit one was a shootout goal but it did, you know, win them the game) and scored one of the biggest goals in Canada's history. Was he the best player in the tournament? No, but he played well. People are using a 7 game (or 3) sample size in a best on best setting with new linemates to try to prove...what exactly?
Crosby sucks? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Nash is capable of dominating in the regular season. He doesn't seem like anything resembling a winner though which is why id never want to have to count on him with the chips down. I know this would be commendable to some people, but when he signed that long deal with the going nowhere blue jackets, it said to me what i already thought about him...that he has no guts. Hes collecting a check and im not sure he has any drive to win in the way other stars do. Its really hard to hold up this argument though given the toll his body takes the way he plays.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I don't know what people want him to do...I think he's played well in the tournament so far, he's been more impactful than he was in 2010...his attention to detail is even higher...

Has he been their best player? No, Drew Doughty has been. Best forward? No, John Tavares has been. But he's definitely on my "positive impact" list, for sure...

With all due respect, he's not Gretzky. People want him to be the best at everything, all the time, all day...and he's pretty damn close, but the talent around the league and around the world has proliferated in such a way and the game has sped up so much, that it's tougher for skill to rise the top every single time...

I don't know how many points he has (I'm assuming not many, because why else would the box score thumpers be out in full throat), or John Tavares has or Doughty or Bouwmeester have, but I know they've been some of the finer players for Canada...they might all have less points than some of the disappointments: Pietrangelo, Marleau, Perry, Nash...I don't know or care...you can see the guys that are making a positive impact on most or every shift...you win enough shifts, you'll win the game...all the points in the world against Austria or Norway won't help you one bit when you need a goal against the Americans or the Swedes...
I think the best way to put it in perspective is this:

Team Canada scored 11 goals in the preliminary round. Drew Doughty & Shea Weber have combined for 6 of those, and Jeff Carter has 3 more. The other two were scored by Ryan Getzlaf and Jamie Benn. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of their production has come from the blueline.

Point-wise, Crosby is one of only 5 Team Canada forwards with more than 1 point. The others are Jeff Carter (3G 1A), Patrick Marleau (0G 4A), Ryan Getzlaf (1G 2A) and Patrice Bergeron (0G 2A). Even Jonathan Toews, whom many are saying is the best Canadian forward in the tournament, has managed just 1 assist despite leading all forwards in ice time with a total of 50:38 (Crosby is second at 47:11).
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Does a lot of Toews toi come from the pk?
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by superconan »

SolidSnake wrote:Does a lot of Toews toi come from the pk?

Yes

This isn't 1987, and I highly doubt we will see elimination games that end 6-5. But it seems like point wise people expect Crosby to produce like that is the case, and if he isn't then he isn't playing well. If he scored 3 goals instead of Carter against Norway, he would have probably been criticized for not producing enough against Finland.

I agree that he is playing better then in 2010.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't care about Team Canada, re: this issue.

DB has not found a way to work around Crosby's line getting shut down in the playoffs. If that continues, expect the disappointing playoff exits to also continue.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Crosby's played well in the 2 games I've watched. Created a few chances, good forechecking, solid D.