GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by shmenguin »

got home from work. need a beer to both celebrate a success and to forget how terrible my week was. yes, i think i'll have one of those 18% world wide stouts now.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Picked up Oatmeal Yeti IS, a four of Belhaven Black Scottish Ale and a couple Manchester Star Ales. Let's see if I'm awake past 7 pm.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Picked up Oatmeal Yeti IS, a four of Belhaven Black Scottish Ale and a couple Manchester Star Ales. Let's see if I'm awake past 7 pm.
Hoo-ah the Yeti Oat is awesome. Love how the oat smooths the liquor flavor down to just the right level. Going really well some Italian coffee/nougat bar rightaboutnow.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

My beer situation is fairly dire ATM. All I have are a few not so fresh wheat beers, a couple Golden Monkeys, and a few lagers that I am reserving for cooking purposes. I'm going to need to remedy that situation...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Went to a brewery/restaurant in Bellefonte called the Gamble Mill. They had some good stuff. Mrs. c2i got their IPA which was really good. It was a little cloudy which is to style with something that's dry hopped. The hops give a little haziness, but then when she ordered a second one it came back just flat out murky. We asked and she said, "oh yeah, we just changed the keg, sometimes the first few pints have some of the settled stuff in it." and then walked away. her last few sips were very very bitter from all the murky stuff settling in the glass. Was a pretty disappointing end to an otherwise really good dinner.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hmm. I expect hefes to be cloudy... IPAs... not so much.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

When they are dry hopped and unfiltered, it's certainly going to have a bit of a haze to it, but even hefes aren't as cloudy as this stuff was. like i said, it was murky.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Bellefonte is one of those towns that I've driven by a million times but have never stopped in.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Drinking Rare Vos (didn't get to it last week), and listening to First Wave on Sirius. I like these kind of relaxing nights.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Toured Rivertowne today. Pretty cool to see the process. Plus getting to drink during the tour was nice
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

We went to the Rumspringa Brewing/Wine Company in Intercourse today. Not the actual brewery, just where they sell the beer and wine and such and give samples. The beer was extraordinarily meh, but the wine was good. For those curious, it's the same wine that is at the Renaissance Faire I think.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

llipgh2 wrote:Drinking Rare Vos (didn't get to it last week), and listening to First Wave on Sirius. I like these kind of relaxing nights.
I love that station. They seem to have a proclivity for Thompson Twins, as Hair Nation has a proclivity for Ratt. Which is teh grate.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Scored pretty good at wegmans today. Walked by the create your own craft pack stand and saw some Deviant Dale's IPA which is one of if not the favorite beers of my wife. It's $12 for a create your own six pack... went to check the price on a four pack of Deviant Dale's: $16. So I took all they had (four) and put it in the six pack container, threw in two others (Weyerbacher's double simcoe and a Founder's all day IPA) so I got a 4 pack of Deviant Dales for $4 less AND 2 free beers in my mind. lol
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picked up a mix and match at 3 rivers 6 pack last night:

Harpoon Cranberry Harvest was surprisingly pretty good. Haven't really been a fan of their other stuff
Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout was good
Cisco Winter Shredder was very different, but I liked it. I had to look it up and it's a Braggot, never heard of this style before
Cigar City Florida Cracker White Ale was OK, a little too carbonated for me, better wits out there
Founders Harvest wet hopped ale was delicious, will definitely look for more of this
Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. thought I would save this one for another night. Looking forward to it, heard good things
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i hate IPA's, but i had the dogfish 61 minute and enjoyed it. i also enjoyed the 75 minute. so ultimately, IPA's are like gamey meat. they taste like butt on their own, but if you add enough seasoning (or maple syrup and grape must in this case), they're pretty good. meanwhile, there's a wide range of beautiful cuts of beef (or belgians dark ales, for instance) widely available that taste good all on their own. i'll stick with filet. you guys can keep eating goat.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Haha, I like that. I've been wanting to try 61 minute. I'm definitely developing more of a flavor for IPAs. I still think the style is overdone and overrated in that many beer snobs that I have encountered won't take anyone seriously if they don't drink IPAs, as if it is the ultimate style. In fact, I would argue that the overdone part of my comment leads to it being one of the styles for which it is hardest to find great beers.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i didn't expect the grape to be so prominent in the 61. it was almost champagne-like. in a refreshing way. it's one of those things where dogfish is probably accused of being different just for the sake of it, but there is real value in them pushing the limits here.

also had a "Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad With Plums" this weekend. great beer. it takes a belgian dark quad and just pumps up the dark fruit notes to a ridiculous level. the sweetness is a little overboard for my taste (i prefer the subtlety of a st bernardus), but this is still really really really good stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I've really moved away from BSDAs lately. I can't even remember the last non-Christmastime BSDA that I've had. I guess I had a Maudite a few months ago.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I've really moved away from BSDAs lately
me too, but it's not really intentional. i still prefer that type of beer, but i've discovered a bunch of stouts recently that have hogged my attention. once i've run through the cases in my basement, i'll probably go pick up some more belgian stuff. though i will be consuming as much KBS as humanly possible in april, so maybe that will push back my plans.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kraftster wrote:Haha, I like that. I've been wanting to try 61 minute. I'm definitely developing more of a flavor for IPAs. I still think the style is overdone and overrated in that many beer snobs that I have encountered won't take anyone seriously if they don't drink IPAs, as if it is the ultimate style. In fact, I would argue that the overdone part of my comment leads to it being one of the styles for which it is hardest to find great beers.
I agree with this in that everyone seems to make an IPA, and many of them are garbage. Some just completely overhop and others just go way too light to appeal to the masses. That said, when I find a great IPA, it is a style I enjoy the most, along with stouts.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Part of the wife's birthday present to me. Gonna crack it open after dinner.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

PensFanInDC wrote:Part of the wife's birthday present to me. Gonna crack it open after dinner.
Really, really liked that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

One of the best stouts I've had, that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

cigar city jai alai ipa. this one belongs with the top of the bunch. awesome ipa, but I haven't seen much cigar city stuff around here...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

That's exciting if Cigar City is distributing in western PA now. They have a few saisons that I've wanted to try for a while now.