GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MWB »

Well, I think I'd scoff at that too. It's been years since I've been to Church Brew, but their beer was never anything special. I'd certainly question how they'd be able to produce anything to challenge the better stouts and IPAs I've had.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I only went there a few times before I moved away from Pixburgh, but it seemed to be more about the ambiance than the beer.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kraftster wrote:
MWB wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Yeah, being accessible is worth noting, eddy. Its hard to have a consistent rubric for rating breweries. And I have a definite bias towards avant garde-ness. I guess maybe this would be the best way for me to put it. If I met someone and they boasted about being a beer aficionado and they stated that their favorite brewery was Southern Tier, I would probably scoff. But if I went to a party and the host had a couple cases of ST stuff for the guests, I wouldn't have any sort of condescending attitude about those choices; quite the contrary, I would make sure to :thumb:.

Reputation-wise, I sense that a greater number than should be would be okay with the ST statement in the first scenario.
I guess that's where we differ. I'm not really interested in breweries that push the envelope or do exotic things. I'll definitely try them and see what I like, but I'd rather have beers that are solid in their given class. I think that's why I'm not a big fan of Dogfish. For me, breweries like ST, Founders, and Great Lakes offer great beers in the more traditional sense.
Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable. I sense that eddy is the same way. Nothing wrong with that at all. I don't actually care for DFH, though I will admit to not having sampled a large portion of their stuff, but I do give them credit for doing some exotic things. It just seems like the craft market is flooded with "solid" these days to where I want a little more to be "wowed" -- not everyone's looking to be wowed, though. And it may also be the case that I only think that there's flooding because I'm more familiar with a lot of beers now, but I have read some commentary that seems to support that point.
I definitely agree it has been flooded. Some of it is just bad. Some is very good. It's tough for me to try the new stuff sometimes, just because I don't want to be disappointed.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, being accessible is worth noting, eddy. Its hard to have a consistent rubric for rating breweries. And I have a definite bias towards avant garde-ness. I guess maybe this would be the best way for me to put it. If I met someone and they boasted about being a beer aficionado and they stated that their favorite brewery was Southern Tier, I would probably scoff. But if I went to a party and the host had a couple cases of ST stuff for the guests, I wouldn't have any sort of condescending attitude about those choices; quite the contrary, I would make sure to :thumb:.

Reputation-wise, I sense that a greater number than should be would be okay with the ST statement in the first scenario.
completely makes sense. Lately in our house, Southern Tier, Bells, and Great Lakes have become the goto because we usually pick up a case and my wife is not as adventurous as I have become and from our tastes, those all have pretty solid lineups where you can't go wrong. Now that I think about it, I feel like the year is usually slotted off for what type of seasonal fits with those breweries (GL Conway Irish coming up soon). It's been kind of nice like this because I find myself doing more mix and match 6 packs and trying new stuff while I always have something safe to fall back on.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

columbia wrote:I only went there a few times before I moved away from Pixburgh, but it seemed to be more about the ambiance than the beer.
this gentleman puts church brew works in the same category as hof-bro-house

fun place to go, and the beer aint bad, but if you want to snob it up, go somewhere else.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Bell's is probably the craft brewery I've bought the most amount of beer from in total, so my objection is not that ST isn't experimental enough, but that its not as good as Bell's, Great Lakes, DFH, etc.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

slappybrown wrote:Bell's is probably the craft brewery I've bought the most amount of beer from in total, so my objection is not that ST isn't experimental enough, but that its not as good as Bell's, Great Lakes, DFH, etc.
yeah, ST rates behind all those for me. maybe not dogfish head, I only like a couple of theirs, but the couple i like, I really like
Last edited by eddysnake on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Bells, Founders, Great Lakes and Oskar Blues are tops for me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Founders, Oskar Blues, and Great Divide have been taking up a lot of space in my fridge recently. Yetis and old chubbs are delicious.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Old Chubbs?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Old Chubb is great stuff.

re: Church Brew Works... IMO, the quality of their beer has largely gone down over the years (or maybe my tastes have just changed drastically)... I'm at a point where the majority of their beer does nothing for me.

That said... I could eat their pizza all day every day. I go for the pizza, the rest is just a bonus.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Went to Emporio at Sienna Mercato tonight. Meatball bar. Omnomnom. Had Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, Oskar Blues G'Knight, and Green Flash Green Bullet Triple IPA. Nice beer selection.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ST 2xOne is good. similar to the great lakes alchemy hour, give it a shot
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I've been on a New Holland kick, quickly becoming my favorite brewery outside of PA (Troegs is my favorite PA brewery)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Southern Tier Oat.....very, very good. It's hard to believe this is 10.5% ABV, it is remarkably smooth.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

the wicked child wrote:Old Chubb is great stuff.

re: Church Brew Works... IMO, the quality of their beer has largely gone down over the years (or maybe my tastes have just changed drastically)... I'm at a point where the majority of their beer does nothing for me.

That said... I could eat their pizza all day every day. I go for the pizza, the rest is just a bonus.
pizza and conversations about scabby homeless people, right?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Froggy wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Old Chubb is great stuff.

pizza and conversations about scabby homeless people, right?
of course!
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm going to pick up some Old Chubb tonight, since you guys keep talking about it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

These PBRs won't gbaway. Not for lack of tryign
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'll be honest, Old Chub doesn't really taste that much different than Ten Fidy, aside from less alcohol hit and a little lighter feel.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MRandall25 wrote:I'll be honest, Old Chub doesn't really taste that much different than Ten Fidy, aside from less alcohol hit and a little lighter feel.
That's surprising considering one is a Scotch Ale and the other is a RIS
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I mean, it's a little lighter than the stout, but the malt/hops are still the same to my tastebuds.

I'm sure it'll take 2 or 3 to distinguish the tastes.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Two or three and you won't be distinguishing much of anything :lol:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Now I taste molasses.