Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by blackjack68 »

pittsoccer33 wrote:I stopped by Whole Foods last night and saw a sign that if you bought dry aged steaks on Thursday or Friday of this week that they would throw in a lobster tail for each free.

I don't really care for lobster (or know how to cook it) but since I was going to buy steaks for Friday's dinner there anyway I think I'll give them a whirl.
I'll take the wet steaks and buy my own lobster for less thanks.

I usually grill ribeyes and 4oz. lobster tails for the wife and daughter on Valentine's Day and large ribeyes for the boy and me.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

pittsoccer33 wrote: I don't really care for lobster (or know how to cook it) but since I was going to buy steaks for Friday's dinner there anyway I think I'll give them a whirl.
How To Cook Lobster Tails: A Guide For People Who Don't Have Butlers To Do All The Work
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

For cold water lobsters, I prefer butter poaching. I think spiny lobster tastes best grilled. Just remember that cooking in a liquid (boiling, poaching) will be quicker than an 'air' cooking method, because air conducts heat energy with less efficiency. Poaching in butter at 150°F will literally take no more than 2 minutes, tops.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I made some pizza dough today and used our stand mixer for the first time. It's a kitchen aid. It seemed to be struggling, is this normal? I only had it on setting 1 speed.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

if your dough is really thick, then yeah, it's gonna struggle.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It wasn't super thick...it was as thick as it should be I thought.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Cooking and eating Crawfish....

Any tip on how to do either? On a unrelated note, its deer sloppy joes for this dude today.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Suck the head.

Wooooooooo....!
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Anyone have some good pizza sauce recipes?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Dinner tonight
Mojo marinated grilled chicken
White rice
Sweet kale salad
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

mac5155 wrote:It wasn't super thick...it was as thick as it should be I thought.
What was the hydration percentage of your dough? That's the percentage of water to flour by weight. Something like pizza dough should have somewhere around 67% to 70% as much water as flour.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I can all but guarantee he did not weigh it, but rather used volumetric measurements.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Volumetric. I think it was 1 cup of water to 3 cups of flour. I'm going to try a different recipe. This dough didn't stretch very well. I think I may have done something wrong.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I think that's one cup of flour too many.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yeah, I always do dough by feel, but I'm pretty sure that my recipe is about 2 cups flour per cup of water.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Made okonomiyaki on Saturday, per request of Mrs Tif for Valentine's dinner. But Sunday was my Valentine's treat.

Miso Black Cod (a la Nobu), Carrot-Scallion Salad, Pickled Myoga (a type of ginger)
Spoiler:
And..... for the first time ever in my whole cooking life....... I made a dessert.

Molten Chocolate Soufflé With Vanilla Crème Anglaise
Spoiler:
This was a ChefSteps recipe. I'm not a dessert person, and I'm certainly not a chocolate person..... but holy f**k this was good.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I bought some big red shrimp (I think from Venezuela) during a big seafood sale at Giant Eagle recently (raw and only headless). Made them once and they have a decidedly lobsterish taste. They are rather sweet. I remember reading when I was researching to decide whether to buy them that they cook very quickly (and they did the first time I made them). Any cooking suggestions for them with the lobster-like flavor and quick cook time?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I tried making a hibachi style shrimp and couldn't duplicate it. Cooking raw shrimp is my nemesis.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

mac5155 wrote:I tried making a hibachi style shrimp and couldn't duplicate it. Cooking raw shrimp is my nemesis.
Really? I only recently started cooking with raw shrimp, and I have to tell you that it saved shrimp for me. I can't imagine every cooking with already cooked shrimp again. I've never really had a hard time with it. Raw shrimp in jambalaya or raw shrimp with some oil and garlic in the wok are the two I do most.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

mac5155 wrote:Volumetric. I think it was 1 cup of water to 3 cups of flour. I'm going to try a different recipe. This dough didn't stretch very well. I think I may have done something wrong.
That does seem like a little too much flour to water. Also, how long did you mix it? Using the dough hook on my Kitchenaid mixer, I usually mix for about two minutes on the lowest setting and then another four to five minutes on the next-highest setting (6-7 minutes total). You don't need much more than that. Pizza dough needs enough gluten development to be able to stretch, but too much gluten and the dough will want to spring back and won't stay stretched.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Mac, the way I read your post about the kitchenaid issue, it sounded like you were on the very first speed setting which is actually a stir setting. Not only will that improperly knead your dough but it will also damage your mixer. The dough hook is designed to knead on levels 2 and 3. I also agree that your recipe sounded like it was a little heavy on the flour.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Cool. I am experimenting with everything now. The dough did not want to stay stretched. I am guessing I did something improperly
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

BadHands71 wrote:Mac, the way I read your post about the kitchenaid issue, it sounded like you were on the very first speed setting which is actually a stir setting. Not only will that improperly knead your dough but it will also damage your mixer. The dough hook is designed to knead on levels 2 and 3. I also agree that your recipe sounded like it was a little heavy on the flour.
It might depend on the model of mixer. I have a KSM150 "Artisan" model, and the instructions for my mixer say that one should never go over 2 when using the dough hook.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Shyster wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:Mac, the way I read your post about the kitchenaid issue, it sounded like you were on the very first speed setting which is actually a stir setting. Not only will that improperly knead your dough but it will also damage your mixer. The dough hook is designed to knead on levels 2 and 3. I also agree that your recipe sounded like it was a little heavy on the flour.
It might depend on the model of mixer. I have a KSM150 "Artisan" model, and the instructions for my mixer say that one should never go over 2 when using the dough hook.
Very true Shyster. My particular model's handbook says that the first level or "click" is stir and should never be used with the dough hook. Second click is recommended for dough hook but it can also be used on 3 for a short period early in the mixing process. I don't have the Artisan one though, so I can't speak to that, I do know that the motor in the Artisan is smaller and less powerful so I'm not sure what the differences is. Regardless, I don't think that the first click/"stir" setting should never be used for kneading, regardless of the model.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

BadHands71 wrote:Very true Shyster. My particular model's handbook says that the first level or "click" is stir and should never be used with the dough hook. Second click is recommended for dough hook but it can also be used on 3 for a short period early in the mixing process. I don't have the Artisan one though, so I can't speak to that, I do know that the motor in the Artisan is smaller and less powerful so I'm not sure what the differences is. Regardless, I don't think that the first click/"stir" setting should never be used for kneading, regardless of the model.
I agree the first speed is too slow for effective kneading, but I use it (and IIRC the Kitchenaid manual said to do this) for approximately two minutes in order to bring the ingredients together. King Arthur Flour also recommends starting on the slowest speed and then increasing once everything is together. If I go right to the second speed it will fling flour all over the counter. I've had my Artisan for about five years or so and use it to bake bread every single week. It's plenty powerful so long as you don't overload the bowl. Based on my experience it's ability to effectively knead a batch runs out at about 28 ounces of flour or so. My standard weekly bake is a two-loaf batch using 22 ounces of flour. I've used this mixer to make literally hundreds of loaves of bread.