The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote:A lack of swords good enough for that use might be a reason...
I'm sure there aren't a ton of swords laying around, but the complete lack of weapons suitable for hand to hand combat is a little head-scratching. They could have been training to use spears, hatchets, etc. Man fought wars for centuries without guns and it just seems silly that they seem to be relying on guns as their number one source of protection. Considering that guns can jam or misfire, and adding in the limited ammo, I think it would be smart to have some other means of protection. You'd think they would at the very least make everyone a "war club" to carry around and supplement their guns. In that situation, I don't think you can have too many means of self protection.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Just like Carl. He had that garden light stake, yet had dropped it before he got in trouble. Could have come in handy...
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Absolutely - Especially since zombie skulls seem to be about as hard as your average hot house tomato. I think I'd much rather have a Native American style war club than a pistol with just one clip.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

A parang machete would be great.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

They just need to hit this place:
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-95-swords-sabers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

columbia wrote:They just need to hit this place:
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-95-swords-sabers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I know it won't happen, but I'm still kind of hoping they come to see me in Savannah. :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think it was established that knives, etc. were the preferred weapon of choice among the survivors, especially this season. Guns are a last resort.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

I don't get the whole walking around thing not knowing where everyone else is. I don't mind it, but it seems dumb to me. They found each other pretty much immediately after the farm by going to the last place they had all been to, yet with a year+ of time to plan they come up with lets get a bus ready and not have a planned place to go to? Stupid. I never thought for a second they would spend a season walking around trying to find each other. I could understand it if where they were going was far away and it would take a while to get there, but there was no mention in the episode of meeting everyone at where ever. Instead it's we'll probably never see them again. Everyone there knows where Woodbury is and it's within walking distance. Plus it has walls. Why would they not head there? Besides that the show was fine. I'm not sure I'd of slept next to the couch if I was Carl after his dad didn't wake up earlier. Seemed a bit too risky.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

sniper wrote:I don't get the whole walking around thing not knowing where everyone else is. I don't mind it, but it seems dumb to me. They found each other pretty much immediately after the farm by going to the last place they had all been to, yet with a year+ of time to plan they come up with lets get a bus ready and not have a planned place to go to? Stupid. I never thought for a second they would spend a season walking around trying to find each other. I could understand it if where they were going was far away and it would take a while to get there, but there was no mention in the episode of meeting everyone at where ever. Instead it's we'll probably never see them again. Everyone there knows where Woodbury is and it's within walking distance. Plus it has walls. Why would they not head there? Besides that the show was fine. I'm not sure I'd of slept next to the couch if I was Carl after his dad didn't wake up earlier. Seemed a bit too risky.
I don't think Woodbury was really an option. Even though the Gov is dead, they don't know who might be left there and if the survivors would be pro Gov. and really and willing to kill them if they came near town. And for all they knew, Woodbury could have been overrun with zombies. I agree that they should have had a plan for what to do should the prison fall, but I don't know how it would be possible to determine a safe meeting place.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is it clear that they didn't have a plan?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Hockeynut! wrote:Two things bugged me about last night's episode (not enough to hurt my enjoyment, just nitpicks).

1. Herschel's zombie head. Since when do the severed head's stay zombies? Is every head Michonne chops off still "alive" and capable of biting people? That seemed pretty silly.

2. The fact that Michonne was wandering around with a zombie horde which didn't attack her because of her pets. I can't understand why the other zombies wouldn't attack her. They did attack when she lost her ish and started killing them, but until then they treated her like a fellow zombie. Why? If that's the case, then all of the survivors should be able to just keep a jawless, armless pet zombie with them and they're be able to walk around freely, whenever they want and without any danger right?
1 - If you notice, she doesn't always sever the head...some times she slices up...other times down and other times across the facial area. Yes, sometimes she does decapitate, and those heads would be alive, but of no immediate thread unless you stuck your finger in their mouth

2 - Did you miss last season when they talked about this? Michonne's original pets? - they surround her with the death smell so she can blend in pretty much as long as they are close and she doesn't make a lot of noise. When she went after her "twin" she left them to go after her and then started getting attacked...she finished by going back to where her pets were and killing them too. They weren't far away, but she left their immediate area.

So, yes the survivors could all do this but you have to have the opportunity and weaponry to do it right...plus you have to not be creeped out walking among them...plus you have to go at the zombies speed...all this is complicated with a large group and you have to keep them nearby and on leashes so they dont wander off. And if you need to do anything quickly it wont work.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

JeffDFD wrote:
1 - If you notice, she doesn't always sever the head...some times she slices up...other times down and other times across the facial area. Yes, sometimes she does decapitate, and those heads would be alive, but of no immediate thread unless you stuck your finger in their mouth

2 - Did you miss last season when they talked about this? Michonne's original pets? - they surround her with the death smell so she can blend in pretty much as long as they are close and she doesn't make a lot of noise. When she went after her "twin" she left them to go after her and then started getting attacked...she finished by going back to where her pets were and killing them too. They weren't far away, but she left their immediate area.

So, yes the survivors could all do this but you have to have the opportunity and weaponry to do it right...plus you have to not be creeped out walking among them...plus you have to go at the zombies speed...all this is complicated with a large group and you have to keep them nearby and on leashes so they dont wander off. And if you need to do anything quickly it wont work.
1. I was probably as annoyed with the really bad cgi than anything. ;)

2. I remembered that the scent threw the other zombies off, but I didn't realize you could enter a horde/pack with them. If that's the case, I think it's downright foolish to not keep a pet for yourself. Heck, they don't eat, don't bark, etc. and they provide really amazing safety.

I think my biggest problem with the zombie apocalypse is that there is not an unlimited supply of zombies. If they keep killing them, they will eventually all be disabled. For instance, at the prison so many times we saw the main characters walking around inside the fence while zombies pushed against it. More often than not, they left them go. They should be killing every zombie they see, especially if they can do it with spears/machetes/etc. Eventually humans will get them all. Sure, the newly dead humans will rise up, but it would still be manageable. That's not a nitpick on the show, just a "what would I do?" type of thing.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Herschel's head was an animatronic. They had it with Greg Nicotaro on Talking Dead after and Chris Hardwick was trying to feed it some pudding from the big can.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Hockeynut! wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

1. I was probably as annoyed with the really bad cgi than anything. ;)

2. I remembered that the scent threw the other zombies off, but I didn't realize you could enter a horde/pack with them. If that's the case, I think it's downright foolish to not keep a pet for yourself. Heck, they don't eat, don't bark, etc. and they provide really amazing safety.

I think my biggest problem with the zombie apocalypse is that there is not an unlimited supply of zombies. If they keep killing them, they will eventually all be disabled. For instance, at the prison so many times we saw the main characters walking around inside the fence while zombies pushed against it. More often than not, they left them go. They should be killing every zombie they see, especially if they can do it with spears/machetes/etc. Eventually humans will get them all. Sure, the newly dead humans will rise up, but it would still be manageable. That's not a nitpick on the show, just a "what would I do?" type of thing.

I think the point that was trying to be made was that she was alone again. You can't really do the pet thing in a group. Someone sneezes, baby cries, someone loses a pet or whatever...it can all break down. They were trying to show she was back to being a loner and breaking down...until she fought through it, processed her emotions, and wanted to find her group again.

They did have a regular plan of killing zombies at the fence I think...then they found out someone was baiting them and they were getting a lot more than usual...then the governor came.

I get what you are saying about eventually outlasting the zombies...but you have to remember they don't really know the whole story. For all they know it is them vs 6 billion.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

viva la ben wrote:A parang machete would be great.
Maul.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

Two weapons I think would be useful are a welder's chipping hammer; light,sharp , stick in a few inches; easily extracted. The second for short & medium range would be a decent strength sling shot. With a nice supply of ball bearings it's rapid fire, easy ammo to carry. You could also substitute rocks,etc in a pinch.
I think the old style hammer-hatchet would be very useful.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

I think a Katana or Talwar for close combat would be the best option. Then crossbow for medium to long range.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Slingshot? That should work...

[youtube][/youtube]

Even better...
[youtube][/youtube]
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Apparently nobody reads Max Brooks? Gotta go with a melee weapon, specifically the "lobotomizer"
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

nocera wrote:Apparently nobody reads Max Brooks? Gotta go with a melee weapon, specifically the "lobotomizer"
I still don't think the Lobo would be that effective compared to similar size weapons. Just saying.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I hope they don't go with the frightened children routine for too long.
Either get them to safety or let them be eaten.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

If I need a zombie weapon, there is only one solution:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Was that Bull from Band of Brothers?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

columbia wrote:Was that Bull from Band of Brothers?
Yes.