NHL year 2015 and beyond

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

NHL year 2015 and beyond

Post by no name »

Well with the Olympics i guess we can't talk trades all day.

Realignment, expansion and relocation. What will the NHL look like by 2015 when they revisit alignment.

Expansion and relocation cities: Seattle, Portland, LasVegas, Houston, Toronto, Quebec.

I would assume there will only be 32 teams 8 teams in 4 confrences.

Pittsburgh
Washington
Philadelphia
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersery
Carolina
Tampa Bay - with FLA gone we adopt them, moving Colombus to the Atlantic

Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec - Florida relocated
Colombus - in place to Tampa Bay
Detroit
Toronto

Dallas
Minnisoda
St Louis
KC - expansion
Chicago
Houston - Nashville relocated
Winnipeg
Colorado

LA
Anaheim
Portland - Arizona relocated
Seattle - expansion
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
San Jose
Last edited by no name on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: NHL year 2015 and beyond

Post by MRandall25 »

Why would they relocate another team to Texas?

Why would they move Columbus to the Northeast, when the current alignment clearly benefits them more than any other move? It would make 0 sense to move them to a different division only 2 years into the system.

Why do we need expansion teams?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Why would Nashville be relocated?
Why 2 teams in Texas when 1 is struggling?
Why would Columbus go to the NE division when a natural rival in Pittsburgh is there?
When did Minnesota change to Minnisoda?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

after 4 beers the name legally changes, ask any Indian.

I just don't think the NHL will put up with FLA Arizona and Nashville losing money under the new CBA.

THe big thing is when you add or remove a team you now have to look and see how it effects you realignment. Add Quebec and then you have to move them to the Atlantic. that makes 9 teams, you gotta balance it out.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

MRandall25 wrote:Why do we need expansion teams?
Im pretty sure its inevitable.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

no name wrote: I just don't think the NHL will put up with FLA Arizona and Nashville losing money under the new CBA.
Is this really the NHL's concern? As long as ownership is willing to absorb losses, teams stay where they are, I guess.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Gaucho wrote:
no name wrote: I just don't think the NHL will put up with FLA Arizona and Nashville losing money under the new CBA.
Is this really the NHL's concern? As long as ownership is willing to absorb losses, teams stay where they are, I guess.
So very true. The NHL has put up with this for so long. I would think owners would willingly move a team to a better market instead of paying for the loses year after year. Oh well.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

I don't see too many teams relocating, and I really don't see a team ever being in Houston. They couldn't even keep the Aeros there.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I always thought Toronto should get a second team, so many Hockey fans and so many businiess in the area. But is it realistic to think Maple Leafs fans would accept another team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Its more likely that fans in the area would accept another team than it is that MLSE would accept another team.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

If there is one thing in this world I am certain of, it's that Houston will never, ever get an NHL team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Do you cut your hair with a hatchet?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I kept hearing about Houston a couple years ago since they would have a natural rivalry with Dallas and they have one of the largest Metropolitan areas without a hockey franchise.

Plus the need to keep the central division with 8 teams, the other option was KC but there was talk that there wasn't enough hockey fans.

In the central the only places that are options are KC Miliwalkee Houston. Other than that in the mid west no other hockey markets. You would think it would be easy to find a city since college hockey is popular over there.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Houston is a total no-go barring a sudden change. When the NHL was looking to expand, I think in the late 90's it was, not the early 90's one, Houston was one of the finalists. Ultimately, the NHL didn't select them. In 1998, Les Alexander, bought the Edmonton Oilers and was moving them to Houston. That was the time of the great migration of Canadian teams to America (Winnipeg, Quebec and then the talk of a couple others really struggling, like Edmonton and the poor quality of Calgary and Ottawa didn't help their cause either when the Canadian dollar was worth some 60 cents to the American dollar)...it was right on the cusp of going down and Bettman did exactly what Bettman has been prone to doing...keeping the NHL from having nomadic franchises...he was able to rig up something to keep the Oilers from leaving...

Having been shut down by the league twice, Les Alexander hasn't really been back since and has lost a lot of money since then, I believe...and he nearly doubled the price of rent for the Houston Aeros, so they regrettably picked up and headed to Iowa for a better deal...

Why do I keep mentioning Les Alexander? Well: a) there hasn't been a lot of serious push for an NHL team in Houston besides from him; b) He has some sort of arrangement with the city, that he won via bid, that an NHL team cannot play in Houston unless he owns it - which, to my knowledge, includes the NHL's use of Houston (Toyota Center, I believe it's called) for a neutral site game there...

So, I figure the guy who owns the monopoly on hockey in Houston and has the only building that is NHL capable I believe...unless you want to renovate the long-vacant Astrodome...has the most say in the matter, and he ain't sayin' nothin'...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

no name wrote:
I dont think so John Rocker, I'll ask any "Native American" thank you very much

:pop:
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Some one suggested to me at work just moving Colombus to the central division since Detroit would never agree to it. Kinda counter productive concidering they move out of their time zone. They seem to fit in the east nicely and give it one playoff series and the rivalry with us is born.

KC is logical since they got an arena built, but i just don't see it as a hockey market. I can see Milwalkee as a good city, you just got to name the team Wisconsin to build a rivalry with Minnesota.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

For how hard PHX is fighting to keep a team in that arena, no way in hell do I see any other teams re-locating on a "whim."
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
no name wrote:
I dont think so John Rocker, I'll ask any "Native American" thank you very much

:pop:
Geez, you don't have to scalp me over one little joke.

Minesota in indian means "land of a thousand lakes" just in cae you didn't know. Hence why butter made in Minnesota taste like lake water.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Sorry but this thread maybe me think

[youtube][/youtube]
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

no name wrote:Some one suggested to me at work just moving Colombus to the central division since Detroit would never agree to it. Kinda counter productive concidering they move out of their time zone. They seem to fit in the east nicely and give it one playoff series and the rivalry with us is born.

KC is logical since they got an arena built, but i just don't see it as a hockey market. I can see Milwalkee as a good city, you just got to name the team Wisconsin to build a rivalry with Minnesota.
KC had an NHL team already. The Scouts (who I believe were the Seals, and then became the Devils), but they had no support.

BEPF
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
no name wrote:Some one suggested to me at work just moving Colombus to the central division since Detroit would never agree to it. Kinda counter productive concidering they move out of their time zone. They seem to fit in the east nicely and give it one playoff series and the rivalry with us is born.

KC had an NHL team already. The Scouts (who I believe were the Seals, and then became the Devils), but they had no support.

BEPF
The Scouts were the Scouts. Then they moved to Coloardo and became the Colorado Rockies, then the Devils. The Seals became the Cleveland Barons, who folded, and sort of got eaten by the North Stars.

Edited for accuracy on the Scouts.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I believe there have been whispers that the NHL would like to expand by 2 teams within the next few years.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Pitts wrote:
I believe there have been whispers that the NHL would like to expand by 2 teams within the next few years.
Pet project. I don't see how they can find suitable markets without disrupting another team in some way. More likely that you'll see an edited list of 30 NHL cities twice before a list of 32.