2014 NHL Trade Rumors/Trades/Signing Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2014 NHL Trade Rumor Thread

Post by MRandall25 »

The Oilers haven't exactly been making the smartest moves, so I wouldn't put it past them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

NYI: Peter Regin and Pierre-Marc Bouchard

V

to

^

CHI: 4th round pick

Has PMB been that bad?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bouchard had been waived and sent down months ago...I'm excited that he could be the second line center for the Blackhawks...

Bouchard and Kane playmaking on the same line...I'd love to be that LW...
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Bobby McK says the Hawks might move Pirri before deadline. That would be a hockey trade.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Bobby McK says the Hawks might move Pirri before deadline. That would be a hockey trade.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Calahan is a complete hockey player. Maybe the most complete there is... In a mold of a young Brendon Morrow... But for the life of me i don't see him being worth 6.5 a season. I would expect a bit more offense from a guy i pay 6.5 for. Maybe i put offense at a primeum.

But i can see the guy has no holes in his game and gives you every intangable in the book. But 6.5???
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think disparity between the top and the bottom is just growing too rapidly for some people to adjust expectations in real time. I'm in the same place as you, I don't give him that money, but its hard to look around the league and say that he won't get it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

An interesting question, who would make the Pens a better team as a deadline acquisition? Vanek or Callahan. Assuming the cost for either is a 1st round pick. Who do you choose?

That's not an easy decision. For some teams, a goal scorer like Vanek is worth much more. But for the Pens? I think I'd lean towards Callahan. Perhaps that puts his salary demands more in perspective (Vanek turned down 7 years @ $7m).
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

If they're trading for a top-6 winger, they're replacing what Dupuis brought. Vanek doesn't help you in that regard so it would be Callahan by default. They don't need to make that sort of trade this year, though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I still think fixing the bottom lines is the priority for the playoffs this year. They need some secondary scoring on the third line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I wouldn't mind the Pens getting Callahan to play with Sutter. Let the team get filled in around relatively fixed pairs of Crosby Kunitz, Malkin Neal, and Callahan Sutter.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

An interesting question, who would make the Pens a better team as a deadline acquisition? Vanek or Callahan. Assuming the cost for either is a 1st round pick. Who do you choose?
Honestly i go with Callahan he brings alot more of a complete game that Vanek. Yes Vanek can score more than Callahan but come playoffs i want that guy with a complete game.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Playoff games are won along the boards and in front of the net. Callahan, all day everyday.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

Definitely Callahan. A playoff hero Vanek surely is not. I want a guy built for the playoffs. Speed and/or toughness, not necessarily sniping which is all Vanek really is. Briere or Callahan fit the bill.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Vanek is not just a sniper. He doesn't have speed, but he can snipe can handle the puck and is great around the net. He's not going to bully people necessarily, but he hangs around there, gets the puck, and puts it in the net from in close.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I don't get where people get that Vanek is a sniper. He is one of the best garbage men in the league. All his goals are scored within 10 feet of the cage.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malksby8771 »

meow wrote:I don't get where people get that Vanek is a sniper. He is one of the best garbage men in the league. All his goals are scored within 10 feet of the cage.
I guess I took his stat total as indicative of a sniper since he's one of very few active players with more than 200 goals and more goals than assists in his career. Very similar career stat totals to Heatley, Iginla, and Nash. I agree he gets a lot of goals inside the circles and down low but he is also a pretty accurate shooter with a 15% career shooting %.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

malksby8771 wrote:
meow wrote:I don't get where people get that Vanek is a sniper. He is one of the best garbage men in the league. All his goals are scored within 10 feet of the cage.
I guess I took his stat total as indicative of a sniper since he's one of very few active players with more than 200 goals and more goals than assists in his career. Very similar career stat totals to Heatley, Iginla, and Nash. I agree he gets a lot of goals inside the circles and down low but he is also a pretty accurate shooter with a 15% career shooting %.
That explains the shooting %.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I mean, let's not take it too far...this guy isn't Holmstrom or Moulson...he really can shoot, he really has some hands...he's just not that good of a skater and he does very good work in front of and around the net...he might not be Corey Perry, but he's not a goal suck...he can play...
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

If the Pens were to make a deadline move and the question would be between Vanek or Callahan..that should be a very easy call. If you want more of what happened last year, take Vanek. One dimensional offense, no grit, no defense, no heart. He called out his goalie on the Austria team during the Olympics even though he didn't score any goals himself. He would be a poison in the locker room and the Islanders in the end got lucky he didnt accept their offer. Callahan is a captain. He's a leader on the U.S. Olympic team. He plays with heart, a complete forward, defensively responsible, has grit. With that said, a trade deal for Callahan will never happen. The Rangers who are second in the division right now arent going to trade one of their best players to the Penguins despite them knowing they may not resign him. The Rangers may trade Callahan, but it wont be in the Eastern Conference. If the Penguins want him, they should try to get him this summer. 6.5 mil is alot, but who knows, he may be worth it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

As everyone answered Callahan (vs Vanek), it goes to show why Callahan could be considered to be worth $7m per year.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Ehh, I think I'd take Vanek in all honesty.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Vanek would be a beast in front of the goalie. As well as Kunitz plays well, Vanek in front of the net would be sick.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'd put Vanek on the 3rd line :pop:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Callahan would be perfect after loosing Dup and Cooke.