The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: The Official Olympic Hockey Thread

Post by Staggy »

I think Malkin, OV, Datsyuk can carry them over any team not named Canada, USA, and maybe Sweden. As long as Varlamov/Bobovskry play well I think they can sneak away with a bronze.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Staggy wrote:I think Malkin, OV, Datsyuk can carry them over any team not named Canada, USA, and maybe Sweden. As long as Varlamov/Bobovskry play well I think they can sneak away with a bronze.
A team like Finland would give them a hard time. Finland is the Yin to Russia's Yang.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Troy Loney wrote:I say Russia, Canada and whatever Czech/Slovokia team that has Chara are the ones to medal.
That would be Slovakia, and they took a HUGE blow losing Gaborik this week.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Of the prelim games, Can vs Fin and Rus vs USA are the games to watch.

Assuming no one drops an egg along the way, the losers of those 2 games will have to play in the quarterfinals.

I'd guess SWE gets the #1 seed, CAN #2, winner of (RUS vs USA) #3, and then Finland and the loser of that game battle it out for #4.

That Rus vs USA game is huge. I predict Rus wins, goes on to play CAN in the semi's and upsets them. USA beats SWE.... setting up a rematch Rus vs USA for gold.

Gold: USA
Silver: RUS
Bronze: CAN
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Mikko Koivu not playing, boo.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Anyone doing the rinktology game? I might join the open reddit challenge.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Dreger seems to think the NHL won't allow players to participate in the 2018 games.
One thing that we need to appreciate with Ed Snider and many owners around the league: they weren't in support of the NHL participating in the Olympic games in Sochi. And the NHL will not participate in Korea.
http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/427461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

I'm surprised more people don't have Sweden as the favorite. They are a deep team and probably the 2nd most talented team in the tournament behind Canada. They do have 2 advantages over Canada: their whole roster has experience on the big Olympic ice and Lundqvist is better than any goalie Canada throws out there. I think they take gold.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

pittsports87 wrote:I'm surprised more people don't have Sweden as the favorite. They are a deep team and probably the 2nd most talented team in the tournament behind Canada. They do have 2 advantages over Canada: their whole roster has experience on the big Olympic ice and Lundqvist is better than any goalie Canada throws out there. I think they take gold.
Dave Molinari has Sweden winning it all:

Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Russia
4th - US
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Retweeted by Shelly Anderson
Yahoo Sports NHL ‏@YahooSportsNHL 14m
Watch: Evgeni Malkin's mother ran with the Olympic torch and it was adorable. http://yhoo.it/1iH5Tdp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Pacioretty might be hurt. Taken off ice after crashing into post, couldn't put weight on left leg.

If it's bad, huge loss for USA.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Max Pacioretty just crashed into the goal in the Habs - Canes game. Looks like he might have broken some ribs.

Team USA may need another forward.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

That really, really sucks.

Then again, Canada is without Stamkos, Sweden is without Henrik Sedin, Datsyuk is less than 100% for Russia, Finland is missing Koivu and Filpulla. If Pacs is the only injured forward we're without, it's not as bad as it could be.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Maybe Bobby Ryan can show that he knows how to spell "intense".
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

The talking heads on HNiC think Sharp or Okposo will get the call if Pacioretty is out.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

And Burrows just used Kessel as a punching bag. Not a good night for Team USA.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Lots of people have Sweden winning it all. In fact, I think they're the favorite pick (to unseat the favored team, Canada.)

I just don't like Sweden's team. Nothing outstanding there. Lunqdvist is better than Canada's goalies, but I'd put him on even playing field with each of the other top teams' goalies, including Russia. IMO, it'll take them time to find their national identity after losing Lidstrom and before that Forsberg. Who picks up that torch?

Sweden will have the top ranked team after the prelims, as they're in the weakest group. But I think they lose in the semis and then again for the bronze.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pacioretty on his way to the Olympics. He said he had the wind knocked out of him and the coaches decided to keep him out as a precautionary measure, i.e. they knew he was going to the Olympics and didn't want him getting hurt after that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

llipgh2 wrote:The talking heads on HNiC think Sharp or Okposo will get the call if Pacioretty is out.
I'm a little groggy, so maybe I'm not reading it right or I'm wrong...but I don't think Patrick Sharp is American...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

mikey287 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:The talking heads on HNiC think Sharp or Okposo will get the call if Pacioretty is out.
I'm a little groggy, so maybe I'm not reading it right or I'm wrong...but I don't think Patrick Sharp is American...
I think she meant Saad.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That's what I meant when I said "not reading it right" - I just couldn't think of what that player was supposed to be...back to back long nights out, four hours sleep with each...my brain is mostly mush mixed with Jaeger...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Can I just say how ridiculous it is that the very same owners who were directly responsible for the NHL Lockout, which took over 3 months from an NHL season are complaining about a 2-week break in the season for the Olympics? Are you kidding me?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

JoseCuervo wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
I think she meant Saad.
Kevin Weekes definitely said Sharp. Because I thought he was Canadian as well. I just figured I was wrong.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

I assume the rest of the world is still light years behind the US and Canada as far as women's hockey, but still nice performance vs Finland yesterday.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

llipgh2 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
I think she meant Saad.
Kevin Weekes definitely said Sharp. Because I thought he was Canadian as well. I just figured I was wrong.
Hard to believe Weekes said Sharp, he's pretty knowledgeable and regularly mentions the fact that he's from Thunder Bay.

Weird.