Czech Olympic Team

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Czech Olympic Team

Post by Kovy27 »

MRandall25 wrote:
Penspal wrote:
pfim wrote:Geez, just looking at this now. They're gonna get steamrolled.
In 1998, The Hockey Gods saw fit to award the Czechs. And while I don't think they will do so again, I am predicting a Czech upset of someone, and NO medal, but they will not be the worst team there.
Of course they won't be the worst team there. That's typically your Norway/Slovenia/Austria/Latvia type teams.

Doesn't mean that this Czech team won't severely underperform. In fact, I'd put money on a Norway/Slovenia/Austria/Latvia beating them.
Hooray, they'll 5th from the bottom!!!!!! Maybe.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

So Sobotka gets injured and cannot go to Sochi. And who does the coach replace him with? No, not Hudler who has his career season. Martin Erat, who has yet to score a goal this year... :lol:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Did Jiri Hudler and Victor Hedman forget to send some Christmas cards or what...? I know Hudler can't skate and everything, but man alive this is some rough treatment...

Tomas, another pronunciation question if I may...

I know Americanized it's "Andre" but what is the correct way to pronounce "Ondrej" as in Ondrej Pavelec (though, I'm guessing he gets docked on his first and last name...Dennis Beyak calls him "Andre Pavlik") or Ondrej Palat and, I'm assuming, in Andrej Meszaros?

I forget the term (open syllabic?) but the old Soviet alphabet used to have a lot more characters/letters at the end of words to emphasize where the emphasis of the word is...is that the case with this "j" or is it a part of the actual pronunciation...?
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

mikey287 wrote:Did Jiri Hudler and Victor Hedman forget to send some Christmas cards or what...? I know Hudler can't skate and everything, but man alive this is some rough treatment...

Tomas, another pronunciation question if I may...

I know Americanized it's "Andre" but what is the correct way to pronounce "Ondrej" as in Ondrej Pavelec (though, I'm guessing he gets docked on his first and last name...Dennis Beyak calls him "Andre Pavlik") or Ondrej Palat and, I'm assuming, in Andrej Meszaros?

I forget the term (open syllabic?) but the old Soviet alphabet used to have a lot more characters/letters at the end of words to emphasize where the emphasis of the word is...is that the case with this "j" or is it a part of the actual pronunciation...?
So, first, Andrej is easier - here you pretty much have to remember that any Czech, Slovak, Polish, German... "j" gets to be pronounced as American 'i' or 'y'. So it's pretty much like "Andrei"

Ondrej:

The "second best" pronunciation: like the above, except with "O" at the beginning.
The "first best" (i.e. the correct) pronunciation (which would be extremely hard for any American): The "r" in Ondrej has a kink above it (so it is "Ondřej"). The "kinked r" gets to be pronounced like "rzh" - but all in one short sound. So, it's "Ondrzhei".

Pavelec: all Czech 'c' sounds are 'ts' in English (once again as one short sound) - so it's Pavelets, not 'Pavelek'

And all Czech names/words, without pretty any exception, have the main accent on the first syllable (which makes Czech quite different from, say, Russian, where when you learn a new word, you have to learn where the accent is). So, VOH-kown, SYH-koh-rah...

And here is the correct pronunciation of Ondrej Pavelec (around 10s mark) - when introduced as the guest of the "Czech David Letterman.":

[youtube][/youtube]
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Brilliant, Tomas. You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you for that.

I had been going with Ondrezh Pav-lech and Mar-ek MA-za-netch more or less...that's the best way I can phonetically say it...sometimes even adding a half syllable - so to speak - in Pavelec's last name because of the "e" between 'Pav' and 'lec' but it's hardly audible...

So I was closer than I knew on Ondrej probably, but was off the mark on the last names considerably...Pav-e-lets essentially, but tighter...that'll be a tough adjustment for me...

Though I knew roughly how to say them, I didn't know why, the explanation of the kinked 'r' makes Jaroslav Bednar and Stanislav Neckar's respective pronunciations make all the more sense now in retrospect...

Thanks again, Tomas...always appreciate it!
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Czech lines, as announced by the Head Coach today:

1. útok: Jágr, Plekanec, Červenka
2. útok: Voráček, Krejčí, Erat
3. útok: Nedvěd, Eliáš, M. Michálek
4. útok: Frolík, Hanzal, Palát

Zdroj: http://oh.idnes.cz/alois-hadamczik-o-no ... -hokej_ald" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Nedved on the wing? :?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Fantastic.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Erat comes in as an injury replacement and is now on line 2? Interesting.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

You add a player to slot in for the player you lost. Its not that strange that he'd go to the second line.