LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by columbia »

Who is the moderator?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I didn't know Ham was a 6k earth guy. Sigh.....
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

There are plenty of scientists, who are Christians, who accept evolution.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Grunthy wrote:The moment people use saying people believe in dumbledore, they lose all credibility with me, because you are insulting an entire group of people.
Hence the reason that I did not get invited to this debate. My own feelings towards organized religion and the "very" religious is rather... strong.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I didn't see my shirt being made...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why does there have to be an ultimate authority?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

columbia wrote:There are plenty of scientists, who are Christians, who accept evolution.

That's what I believe. I think God let evolution to do his work. I think the bible even says it.
Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
That's what I believe or interpret.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Grunthy wrote:
columbia wrote:There are plenty of scientists, who are Christians, who accept evolution.

That's what I believe. I think God let evolution to do his work. I think the bible even says it.
Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

yeah, if you want to pick, choose and interpret things as you see fit you can make the bible say anything you want. billions have been made on that very notion.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Is it too much to ask for a discussion on religion to not turn into attacks on religion/religious people?

Yeah, probably too much to ask.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

knives of ice wrote:
Grunthy wrote:

yeah, if you want to pick, choose and interpret things as you see fit you can make the bible say anything you want. billions have been made on that very notion.

I'm not going to start an argument which you seem to want to. I am just expressing my belief. Say what you want. I do not care.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

PensFanInDC wrote:I didn't know Ham was a 6k earth guy. Sigh.....
It's not helpful for his argument.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MRandall25 wrote:Is it too much to ask for a discussion on religion to not turn into attacks on religion/religious people?

Never. Both religious and nonreligious groups have fringe crazy people that want to insult each other.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

columbia wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I didn't know Ham was a 6k earth guy. Sigh.....
It's not helpful for his argument.
Not at all. Im a creationist who believes man was created and did not evolve from monkey nor Neanderthals. I also think the planet is millions of years old.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Grunthy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Is it too much to ask for a discussion on religion to not turn into attacks on religion/religious people?

Never. Both religious and nonreligious groups have fringe crazy people that want to insult each other.
:shock:

(that is my crazy eyes, not "shock")
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Is there such a thing as believing in all religions? Pretty sure that's how I think. Always seemed weird to think that there could be only one. Studying Zoroastrianism in college was pretty interesting stuff as well.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

He's already falling into the logical trap of saying that his belief system dictates that this is true and that the evidence can be found in his belief system.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

eddysnake wrote:Studying Zoroastrianism in college was pretty interesting stuff as well.
Indeed.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

This should have been a debate between strict evolution and evolution by intelligent design.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

So Ken, science is a version of a religion and they only support their own religion. You keep referring to God, apparently the Christian God as you are referring to Jesus as well... What about all of the religions that do not believe in THAT god or Jesus yet have a version of creation? Oh, they are wrong too... okay. I see.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

count2infinity wrote:http://debatelive.org/

reminder for anyone that was interested. Bill Nye will be debating Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable model of origin in today's modern, scientific era. It starts at 7 this evening.

I won't be able to watch tonight, but I plan on watching it at a different time. I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. There will not be a true debate, this will likely just turn into a strange argument that will likely be cut up into little snippets of jabs that each will take at the other's expense and people will share just those little snippets of who they agree with already, and nothing will be truly learned from the debate. People will only be watching to reinforce what they already think is true. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope it's awesome, but I have my doubts.
Utter nonsense. No good will come of this for either side of the debate.

Neither debater holds the credibility or the knowledge to give this debate any kind of academic credence. First and foremost, Bill Nye is an entertainer. To be fair, he does have a moderate scientific background, however, he really doesn't possess the credentials to be an expert on origins and natural selection. Ken Ham on the other hand, makes the mistake that a lot of Christians make. The Bible was not meant to be a scientific document. Rather, it provides the reader with knowledge of the creator and his redemptive plan. It's quite obvious to anyone paying attention that the earth's history should be measured in billions of years, rather than the half dozen millennia that Mr Ham ascribes to. A belief in Christianity is not directly tied to a belief in a young earth.

If the debate is meant to induce serious discussion, well, perhaps it is successful. On it's surface, it looks more like both sides in this debate are looking for an "oh, snap" moment that they can get a sound bite of.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Gabe wrote:
count2infinity wrote:http://debatelive.org/

reminder for anyone that was interested. Bill Nye will be debating Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable model of origin in today's modern, scientific era. It starts at 7 this evening.

I won't be able to watch tonight, but I plan on watching it at a different time. I have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. There will not be a true debate, this will likely just turn into a strange argument that will likely be cut up into little snippets of jabs that each will take at the other's expense and people will share just those little snippets of who they agree with already, and nothing will be truly learned from the debate. People will only be watching to reinforce what they already think is true. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope it's awesome, but I have my doubts.
Utter nonsense. No good will come of this for either side of the debate.

Neither debater holds the credibility or the knowledge to give this debate any kind of academic credence. First and foremost, Bill Nye is an entertainer. To be fair, he does have a moderate scientific background, however, he really doesn't possess the credentials to be an expert on origins and natural selection. Ken Ham on the other hand, makes the mistake that a lot of Christians make. The Bible was not meant to be a scientific document. Rather, it provides the reader with knowledge of the creator and his redemptive plan. It's quite obvious to anyone paying attention that the earth's history should be measured in billions of years, rather than the half dozen millennia that Mr Ham ascribes to. A belief in Christianity is not directly tied to a belief in a young earth.

If the debate is meant to induce serious discussion, well, perhaps it is successful. On it's surface, it looks more like both sides in this debate are looking for an "oh, snap" moment that they can get a sound bite of.
Thumbs up.

Im on mobile and don't have the patience to type more.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Why does he keep referringto fish as "having sex" as opposed to "spawn"?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My feed keeps cutting out.

I guess Comcast is asserting itself as the real final boss.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Maybe the feed has evolved and your device is now obsolete
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Bill Nye - "It's magical" HA! Dubbledore!!!