Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

viva la ben wrote:I see those no jake brake signs all over rural western PA
how do they work? i always wondered that
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

When you put on a nice clean shirt, go brush your teeth, think everything is cool, then look in the mirror an hour later and find dried up toothpaste on that shirt.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

I have three monitors at work. I have windows open on all monitors. The active window is on monitor A. I look at information in that window, do a select and copy of that info. I need to paste it into another window on Monitor B. I look the window into which I want to paste the info, and press Cntrl + V, without ever having selected the window on Monitor B, thus pasting the info over top of itself in the window on Monitor A.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Pretty much any version of the Dr. Who "Keep Calm" meme. Sends me into an instant rage. Good example:
Spoiler:
WTF DOES THIS EVEN MEAN
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yeah that doesn't make sense...at all.

Man....if someone killed my dog; yoi, watch out.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Its not a Dr. Who meme, it was a WWII propaganda sign that was rediscovered a few years ago and bastardized to prove we can't have nice things.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I know it was a WWII poster, but Dr. Who definitely revitalized it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

You're the first person I've ever seen mention it in the context of Dr. Who, and the Wiki article for it doesn't mention Dr. Who at all. I didn't notice it until I started working with Brits in a coalition environment, and also the London Olympics.

I'm not a Dr. Who fan, though, so my exposure in that context is limited.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I love how people just throw bus etiquette out the window when it's snowing:

and then she got pissed when I wouldn't let her butt in front of me. No, go back to the end of the line where you belong.

Also, this happens no matter what the season:

notice the man standing by the back doors. There are plenty of seats all over the bus, why stand there? I get it if you're getting off one stop down the line, but this guy stood there for 6 or 7 stops, and every stop people would try to get out that door and the "oh, sorry...excuse me." dance started. it's even worse when the bus starts to get packed and the guy stands at that door for a few stops.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

The way laces are tied in most new shoes out of the box. I have to completely pull them out and re-thread. Bi clue why they're initially laced in funky ways.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

People that smoke e-cigs in the office.

No one knows what the effects of those things are and until there are more studies done, I'd just as soon not breathe in the 'second hand'.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:People that smoke e-cigs in the office.

No one knows what the effects of those things are and until there are more studies done, I'd just as soon not breathe in the 'second hand'.
yeah, those things shouldn't be allowed in public spaces. i don't care if it's not "smoke"...you're spitting out some sort of nasty, chemically-rich vapor when you exhale. keep it away from other people.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

vapers gonna vape
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

count2infinity wrote:notice the man standing by the back doors. There are plenty of seats all over the bus, why stand there? I get it if you're getting off one stop down the line, but this guy stood there for 6 or 7 stops, and every stop people would try to get out that door and the "oh, sorry...excuse me." dance started. it's even worse when the bus starts to get packed and the guy stands at that door for a few stops.
Sounds like gate lice at the airport. You're in zone eleventy-seven. Please go sit down.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

ExPatriatePen wrote:People that smoke e-cigs in the office.

The company in work for is beginning pre clinical studies on them now. I'd say we are 5 years from any co conclusive clinical evidence.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PghSkins wrote:Sounds like gate lice at the airport. You're in zone eleventy-seven. Please go sit down.
These people are the God-awful worst. European and Asian women seem to be the worst offenders in my experience.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shafnutz05 wrote:
PghSkins wrote:Sounds like gate lice at the airport. You're in zone eleventy-seven. Please go sit down.
These people are the God-awful worst. European and Asian women seem to be the worst offenders in my experience.
If you can, join the awards programs, use a credit card from that airline and/or fly first class. I've found that the problem gets worse the further "down the stack" you are.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have a US Airways World Mastercard, but I don't really get any perks besides miles and a couple flight vouchers each year. I think I need to reevaluate my strategy for sure.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

People that end their emails with "Thanks!" and then have "Thank you" to start their signature. Example:

Hello -
I need those TPS reports. Thanks!

Thank you,
Prickly Pete
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IamtheWaris »

shafnutz05 wrote:I have a US Airways World Mastercard, but I don't really get any perks besides miles and a couple flight vouchers each year. I think I need to reevaluate my strategy for sure.
It is pretty worthless. I will probably ditch mine and get the American Airlines one.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shafnutz05 wrote:I have a US Airways World Mastercard, but I don't really get any perks besides miles and a couple flight vouchers each year. I think I need to reevaluate my strategy for sure.
Maybe switch to the American program... it's better and they're going to merge both (American/USAirways)programs in the future so you should be able to retain your points from each.

(American allows you to check up to two bags free and gives you Preferred access when boarding... not only that but they offered a special program where they threw in TSA Pre-Check without me even asking)
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IamtheWaris »

Right on cue. I hope they do the 30k miles after first use or whatever it is.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shmenguin wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:People who take cell phone photos (or worse: videos) in portrait orientation instead of landscape, the latter of which more closely approximates the field of view of the human eye.
why is this just limited to cell phone cameras?
Because I don't see a plethora of images from vertically-oriented DSLR cameras.
dodint wrote:You're the first person I've ever seen mention it in the context of Dr. Who, and the Wiki article for it doesn't mention Dr. Who at all. I didn't notice it until I started working with Brits in a coalition environment, and also the London Olympics.

I'm not a Dr. Who fan, though, so my exposure in that context is limited.
I'm with you, I don't have any knowledge of it being connected to Dr Who.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

When I fly, I don't even bother with getting in line when my group # is called. So many people want so desperately to get on first, for what? to sit there in an uncomfortable seat longer than other people? I wait until they call the "all passengers". When that line goes down, I'll hop in line, until then, I'm enjoying my last few minutes of not being on the plane.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, I don't understand the rush to get on the plane unless you're in first class.

My assumption is since people bring on full sized backpacks that can hold what a suitcase holds they want to rush on to ensure that their "carryon" can be stowed within arms reach, despite the fact they have no intention of using it. I fly with a laptop bag that I stow under the seat, because I'll be using it, and I'm not a cheapass that refused to check a weeks worth a luggage.