Brian Rafalski to come out of retirement

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Brian Rafalski to come out of retirement

Post by JS© »

Received clearance from the NHL to play with the Florida Everblades
Brian Rafalski, a former NHL star and three-time Olympian trying to make a comeback, received NHL clearance to play Friday night for the Florida Everblades against the South Carolina Stingrays.

“He played in the Winter Classic alumni game and got the bug,” Everblades coach Greg Poss said. “He wants to play in the NHL again.”

Rafalski is close to the Everblades players because he has been the team’s chaplain the past couple of years.
http://www.marcoislandflorida.com/artic ... Everblades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and he has signed with the team
Florida Everblades president and general manager Craig Brush, along with head coach Greg Poss, announced Thursday that the team has come to contract terms with long-time NHL defenseman and former Olympian Brian Rafalski.

Rafalski, 40, notched 515 points in 11 NHL seasons, split between the New Jersey Devils and the Detroit Red Wings.

The Dearborn, Mich., native won three Stanley Cups: 2000 and 2003 with the Devils and 2008 with the Red Wings. He was also on the blue line for Team USA at the last three Winter Olympic Games, taking the Silver Medal in 2002 and 2010.

“I’m just excited to get back on the ice again and see where God takes me on this journey,” added Rafalski, who had retired from professional hockey following the Red Wings’ exit from the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
http://floridaeverblades.com/blades-add ... -rafalski/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Brian Rafalski to come out of retirement

Post by DudeMan2766 »

CTONPRC brah :pop:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

...and he's gone.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

back pain was insurmountable from what i hear through the grapevine. He had hoped to have a contract with DET by the end of the olympic break
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

found a better article than the original CBS one that I read. Back pain was definitely the reason and he considers himself retired.
“I’m done,” the three-time Stanley Cup winner said. “My back is no good. That was one of the hurdles. That’s why I was taking this day-by-day.”
http://www.news-press.com/article/20140 ... eback-ends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

It sucks getting old, but it's better than the alternative.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I guess God changed his mind.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

He was a good player, and seems like a good guy. I'm glad he gave it a try, and sorry for him that he couldn't make it work. Sucks getting over that 40 hurdle.