2014 NHL Trade Rumors/Trades/Signing Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

2014 NHL Trade Rumors/Trades/Signing Thread

Post by Kovy27 »

Moving this over here.

SIGNING - Varlamov signs with Colorado for 5 years, 29.5 mill. LINK
TRADE - Toronto trades Mark Fraser to EDM for Cameron Abney and Teemu Hartikainen.
TRADE - Montreal trades Raphael Diaz to Vancouver for Dale Weise.
TRADE - Pittsburgh trades Paul Thompson to Columbus for Spencer Machachek
TRADE - NY Islanders trade Pierre-Marc Bouchard (50% retained) and Peter Regin (50% retained) to Chicago for a 4th round pick in the 2014 Entry Draft.
TERMINATED CONTRACT - Buffalo terminates Linus Omark's contract.
SIGNING - Girardi signs with NY Rangers for 6 years, 33 mill.
TRADE - Buffalo trades Ryan Miller and Steve Ott to St. Louis for Jaro Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, 2015 1st and 2016 3rd
TRADE - Florida trades Eric Selleck to St. Louis for Mark Mancari.
TRADE - Chicago trades Brandon Pirri to Florida for a 2014 3rd Round Pick and 2016 5th Round Pick.
SIGNING - Scrivens signs with Edmonton for 2 years, 4.6 mill.
SIGNING - Brandon Bollig signs with Chicago for 3 years, 3.75 mill.
TRADE - Florida trades Mike Weaver to Montreal for 2014 5th Round Pick.
SIGNING - Brad Boyes signs with Florida for 2 years, 5.25 mill.
TRADE - Edmonton trades Ilya Bryzgalov to Minnesota for 2014 4th Round Pick.
TRADE - Ottawa trades Jeff Costello to Vancouver for Patrick Mullen.
TRADE - Anaheim trades Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for 2014 5th Round Pick and 2015 3rd Round Pick.
TRADE - NY Islanders trade Andrew MacDonald to Philadelphia for Matt Mangen, 2014 3rd Round Pick, and 2015 2nd Round Pick.
TRADE - Anaheim trades Dustin Penner to Washington for 2014 4th Round Pick.
TRADE - Vancouver trades Roberto Luongo (retain 15%) and Steve Anthony to Florida for Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias.
SIGNING - Anton Khudobin signs with Carolina for 2 years, 4.5 mill
TRADE - Phoenix trades David Runblad and Mathieu Brisebois to Chicago for a 2014 2nd Round Pick.
TRADE - Dallas trades Stephane Robidas to Anaheim for a 2014 Conditional 4th Round Pick.
TRADE - Washington trades Martin Erat and Someone with the last name Mitchell to Phoenix for Rostislav Klesla, Chris Brown, and 2014 4th Round Pick.
TRADE - NY Rangers trades Ryan Callahan, 2015 1st Round Pick, 2014 Conditional 2nd Round Pick (becomes a 1st, if NYR make the conference finals) to Tampa Bay for Marty St. Louis. - If Callahan signs with TB, NYR get 2015 2nd Round Pick and TB get 2015 7th Round Pick.
SIGNING - Chris Phillips signs with Ottawa for 2 years, 5 mill.
TRADE - Edmonton trades Ales Hemsky(retaining 50% of salary) to Ottawa for 2015 3rd Round Pick and 2014 5th Round Pick.
TRADE - Buffalo trades Brayden McNabb and two 2nd Round Picks to LA for Hudson Fasching and Nicholas Deslaurier.
TRADE - Nashville trades Devin Dubnyk to Montreal for Future Considerations.
TRADE - Columbus trades Marian Gaborik to Los Angeles for Matt Fratin, 2014 2nd Round Pick, and 2014 Conditional 3rd Round Pick.
TRADE - Florida trades Marcel Goc to Pittsburgh for 2015 3rd Round Pick, and 2014 5th Round Pick
TRADE - Carolina trades Tuomo Ruutu to New Jersey for Andrei Loktionov and 2017 Conditional 3rd Round Pick.
TRADE - Florida trades Tim Thomas to Dallas for Dan Ellis.
TRADE - Edmonton trades Nick Schultz to Columbus for 2014 5th Round Pick.
TRADE - Philadelphia trades Andrej Meszaros to Boston for 2014 3rd Round Pick.
TRADE - Vancouver trades Raphael Diaz to NY Rangers for 2015 5th Round Pick.
TRADE - Buffalo trades Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick to Minnesota for Torrey Mitchell and picks.
TRADE - NY Islanders trade Thomas Vanek to Montreal for 2014 2nd Round Pick and a prospect.
TRADE - Calgary trade Reto Berra to Colorado for a pick.
TRADE - Nashville trade David Legwand to Detroit for...
TRADE - Buffalo trades Jaro Halak to Washington for Michael Neuvirth and 2014 6th Round Pick.
Last edited by Kovy27 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 50 times in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: 2014 NHL Trade Rumor Thread

Post by columbia »

That would so delicious to see Heatley die on the vine in Buffalo.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

That can't be true. Buffalo would have accepted already.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

columbia wrote:That would so delicious to see Heatley die on the vine in Buffalo.
oh, please make it so!!!!!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Minnesota is linked to every player it seems
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm not sure if this is out there yet or not, but P.A. Parenteau will be a scratch tonight. The Avs have been seeing what they can do with Parenteau and McGinn...McGinn has been showcased on the top line the last little bit, IIRC...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

I think Ryan Miller somehow ends up in St. Louis with Elliot or Halak going back to Buffalo.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Dustin Brown is the face of the Kings. Bad season so far, do the Kings look to Detroit for help?

Penguins can slot a player to skate with Malkin or Crosby to get by. Any idea as to who skates on the third line that can step up with impact? (Go to pens need X100 of this player)

Do the Pens look to DET for experience?

Can the Pens scout a player in the Olympics they feel would add to the roster that may not be under contract (NHL, KHL) to the roster? Free Agent.

Thanks
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

BigMcK wrote: Can the Pens scout a player in the Olympics they feel would add to the roster that may not be under contract (NHL, KHL) to the roster? Free Agent.
I'm fairly sure that if a UFA is signed from the KHL, he would have to clear waivers before joining the Penguins. Seeing that this is the internet, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :lol:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Well, if a guy is playing in the KHL, he would probably be under contract with a KHL team. Signing guys who already have contracts with KHL teams (as free agents) is frowned upon, IIRC.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
BigMcK wrote: Can the Pens scout a player in the Olympics they feel would add to the roster that may not be under contract (NHL, KHL) to the roster? Free Agent.
I'm fairly sure that if a UFA is signed from the KHL, he would have to clear waivers before joining the Penguins. Seeing that this is the internet, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :lol:
So, you are correct...if a player plays in any other league at any point while the NHL season is going on, the player must clear waivers. This happened with Nabokov and Detroit a few years back. The Isles claimed him. Nabokov played in the KHL and then was released from his contract.

MRandall is right that if the player is currently playing in the KHL, most teams won't touch them.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Kovelchuk? Not gonna happen...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I'd like to echo those sentiments above. And just add the caveat that it's a non-North American pro league that they're playing in that triggers waivers to come over after our season has begun. The Reijo Ruotsalainen rule. It is my understanding that if a player like Gasper Kopitar had made the Slovenian Team (for us to scout him, in this situation, otherwise it's irrelevant), we would be able to sign him without waivers. However, there should be nobody new under the sun for us here at the Olympics that is relevant...Gasper failed to make the Slovenian roster, so that says plenty about his future in the NHL, but it was just an example...

Though, this might provide some of the thinner scouting staffs a chance to see Slovenian or Latvian players that they otherwise wouldn't spend the resources to see themselves, even if it means they won't sign them right off the hop...Luka Gracnar comes to mind immediately, still a draft-eligible player who has played pro in a decent EBEL league, will probably draw some scouts attention for a moment...though 5'10" goalies are not en vogue around the league...

By and large, though, the Olympics are not on an amateur scouts calendar, or at least it doesn't have that prototypical red magic marker, slightly-open circle around it...
Last edited by mikey287 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Additionally, the feeling on Kovalchuk is that a nagging back injury is really snowballing on him...it hasn't been a pretty year for him in the KHL...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:Additionally, the feeling on Kovalchuk is that a nagging back injury is really snowballing on him...it hasn't been a pretty year for him in the KHL...
I feel absolutely horrible for him...oh wait, no I don't.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Supposedly the Rangers allowed another team to talk to Ryan Callahan's agents.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m
Developing story, NYR grant permission to at least 1 team who has already talked with Callahan's agent. More on Sportscentre. #TSN
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

~ fingers crossed
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

It would be great if the Rangers got...I dunno, Paul Bissonette for him.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Rumor is that it is St. Louis, Vancouver and Columbus that are in the running for Callahan.

I'm assuming Chris Stewart is probably part of the St. Louis deal.
Last edited by Kovy27 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'd love him as a rental. Would not go long term deal with him though. Too scary for me.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:I'd love him as a rental. Would not go long term deal with him though. Too scary for me.
Just a funny feeling that it is St. Louis.

I can't see Columbus and the Rangers trading again and Not sure what Vancouver is willing to give up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Comedy gold from the Rangers Instagram:
"Callahan, as much as he shouldn't be traded, just isn't worth that amount of money, but if they if trade him Carcillo should be captain even though they just got him he has potential"
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'd love him as a rental. Would not go long term deal with him though. Too scary for me.
Just a funny feeling that it is St. Louis.

I can't see Columbus and the Rangers trading again and Not sure what Vancouver is willing to give up.
Yeah, oh boy, Kovy, the Blues are so tough to play against right now...add Callahan in that top-9...oh boy...that's a lot of nasty...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Aside from the money aspect, which is probably a deal breaker, is your concern related to health?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

columbia wrote:
Aside from the money aspect, which is probably a deal breaker, is your concern related to health?
Yeah, more or less, columbia. It's a hunch more than anything...here, I'll post a little blurb that I posted on the Pens side...
Re: Cally. I'm not so sure Dupuis isn't more talented than him. Dupuis really worked on accepting passes better over the last few years and it shows. Callahan gets a lot of mileage out of heroic playoff shot blocking. And it should be lauded. But his offensive ceiling and, believe it or not, his defensive ceiling are not amazing. Why defensive ceiling you ask? Because I'm not sure how much of it is actually anticipation...he's a hard worker and a body sacrificer, but when those miles start to pile up and his body starts to go and the legs start to go or, God forbid, the spirit is no longer willing to jump in front of train, will his brain be enough to offset the physical traits loss...I think people are in for a surprise. He's got gas left in the tank, but one of these days he's going to go from Anton Volchenkov 2007 to Anton Volchenkov 2013 and anyone that follows the league well enough knows exactly how big of a drop off that is. A legitimate top-4, shutdown, physical defender to a fringe NHLer hanging on by a thread...a little birdie told me that it might come all unraveled for Zbynek Michalek sooner rather than later too...

Now, I'm not saying these guys are dumb hockey players...I'm just saying, be careful. I would not want to be the one holding that hot potato (a 6 x 6 deal for Cally) when it explodes...I'd rent him, but I'm not going long term there...
You look at these guys, Volchenkov, Gleason, Michalek...even some forwards, Pandolfo, Smyth, you're starting to see it now with Glencross...it's just tough to keep throwing yourself into the wall and getting up every time just for the chance to do it again...