Devils hiring Director of Analytics...paging Mikey287...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Devils hiring Director of Analytics...paging Mikey287...

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

...or Jesse.
The New Jersey Devils are looking for someone with the passion, intelligence and experience to lead its hockey analytics group. The position reports directly to the President and General Manager, Lou Lamoriello. Interested applicants should have a deep understanding of both hockey and advanced data-centric techniques to analyze games, players, and rosters. Experience on/around the ice is a plus while a deep passion for NHL hockey is required. Experience in statistics, data science, econometrics, computer science, or other data-driven fields is a must. The position will office in the Prudential Center in Newark.
http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs ... supcat=218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think mikey lives/is from near there. Direct report to Lou, too. Do work. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Devils hiring Director of Analytics...paging Mikey287...

Post by columbia »

slappybrown
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:...or Jesse.
The New Jersey Devils are looking for someone with the passion, intelligence and experience to lead its hockey analytics group. The position reports directly to the President and General Manager, Lou Lamoriello. Interested applicants should have a deep understanding of both hockey and advanced data-centric techniques to analyze games, players, and rosters. Experience on/around the ice is a plus while a deep passion for NHL hockey is required. Experience in statistics, data science, econometrics, computer science, or other data-driven fields is a must. The position will office in the Prudential Center in Newark.
http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs ... supcat=218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think mikey lives/is from near there. Direct report to Lou, too. Do work. :lol:
Honest to god. Mikey would be the absolute perfect fit for that position. Someone PM him immediately.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Except that mikey is not all that big on analytics...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Dear Lou.

Quit hockey.

No name.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

This would be a job for Draftnik so he can talk about GAA for... I can't name a player on the Devils sans Jagr
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

I did apply. I brought an onslaught of some fairly serious references, so we'll see what happens.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Jesse wrote:I did apply. I brought an onslaught of some fairly serious references, so we'll see what happens.
Way to be Jesse.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Jesse wrote:I did apply. I brought an onslaught of some fairly serious references, so we'll see what happens.
Good luck!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Good luck Jesse
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That's interesting that the position reports directly to Uncle Lou.
I assume they want a data analyst who likes hockey (and not the other way around).
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

hopefully all of us here on the board were part of that onslaught of references. :wink:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Haha this is funny, thanks for the thread! I got a slew of text messages yesterday from former/current players that I've coached that said do it...most were Devils fans imploring me to help them...

I just started a new job, but not in the NHL...it can't hurt to throw my name in the ring, if I get a call, I'll call it a win...thanks for this!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Good luck to all!

The only bad part is that we'll have one less sane poster here if one of them gets the job. :pop: :scared:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a $450K per annum and a 4 year guaranteed contract. Thank you....
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

Mikey and Jesse, I obviously don't know you guys as well as the other guys on this board. If you dont mind me asking, out of my own curiosity, what are your hockey backgrounds?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

itissteeltime wrote:Mikey and Jesse, I obviously don't know you guys as well as the other guys on this board. If you dont mind me asking, out of my own curiosity, what are your hockey backgrounds?
mikey prefers to use Tim Thomas hoisting the Stanley Cup as his background. That's what you wanted to know, right?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

From the ad:
Experience in statistics, data science, econometrics, computer science, or other data-driven fields is a must.
Do you guys have experience with regression analysis and data modeling? Using software like SAS, etc? Hockey knowledge can help in modeling but I think Columbia is right, they're looking for someone who has high level data analysis skills more so than one who knows hockey.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

You can learn how to use software. You can't learn hockey sense really. I don't disagree with your point, but statistics don't mean anything without context. I made that point as part of my cover letter. I won't get the job, of course, nor is it really for me to be perfectly honest because I don't embrace the whole advanced statistics thing...I think there's value, but it'll never replace the "old school" - but hey, whatever, it can't hurt to throw my hat in the ring...you miss 100% of the shots you don't take...
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Learning to use software like SAS is not like learning to use MS Word. You obviously know your hockey but econometrics, etc is something usually learned in grad school by those who have studied lots of high level math and this sort of position clearly requires that. They're looking for a Nate Silver type.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Factorial wrote:Learning to use software like SAS is not like learning to use MS Word. You obviously know your hockey but econometrics, etc is something usually learned in grad school by those who have studied lots of high level math and this sort of position clearly requires that. They're looking for a Nate Silver type.
No reason to throw cold water on him. Mikey comes across as one of the more methodical logical capable posters on this board. He certainly has the subject matter interest, you can't teach that. He seems to have the intelligence to pick up the tech side.
Many managers are looking for exactly that combination, it can be refreshing not to have to hire someone where you need to train them by breaking bad habits that they've learned somewhere else.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

No reason to give him unrealistic expectations either. As someone whose taken 5 courses in Calculus you don't just pick up something like that on the job as the manager.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Beveridge wrote:Image
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is who the Penguins use:
https://www.sportsanalyticsinstitute.co ... ipals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd assume that LL would hire someone similar. NYU has a great applied math program, so he doesn't have to look far.

I do think analytics are interesting, but it's never something I'd dive into as a fan. I deal with data and programming all day and would rather forget it and just enjoy the beauty of hockey as is.