Jets fire Noel and hire Paul Maurice

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Jets fire Noel and hire Paul Maurice

Post by brwi »

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10282 ... ul-maurice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting. For a team that cannot play decently in net or on the blueline, not sure that Maurice is going to be the answer.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Jets fire Noel and hire Paul Maurice

Post by BigMcK »

Interesting that during the postgame conference yesterday, I think it was Ladd that said when they were in ATL no one cared in the media, as they would never be on the front page of the papers or talk radio. Can't blame that on the coach, but I guess people in Winnipeg care.

Will Maurice still be the youngest looking coach still?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

The leader of the Island of Misfit Toys finds a new island.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

If you think Paul Maurice is going to solve your team's problems...

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Actually, I think this is a good move, even if unspectacular. The problem with the Jets is that they don't really know what to do it seems like...they're an inconsistent bunch, they're rather porous defensively and kind of lack a general know-how it appears...I'm not totally sure what Noel means to do, but the players don't really respond to him. When you're a weird guy behind the bench, some players gravitate to it because they think you're a genius...but some will turn it off right away, some will turn it off eventually...when you're slightly off, like Noel is, you're not a players coach...but you're not a hard ass either...and unless results come from your genius, you won't last too long...

Maurice is a players' coach as well. He's pretty soft-spoken, he doesn't really believe in having fights solve problems, he doesn't have any odd, cutting edge stuff...he's structured, he's disciplined, he gets you back to "ok, reset, let's figure out what we actually have..." and for the Jets, who are a relative mess, this is good for them...they don't need a rah-rah guy to come in there and rock the boat until it sinks...this guy comes in with ocean noises and you get back to playing fundamental hockey. Bring Byfuglien - who just played forward the other night - back around. Enstrom, who hasn't produced, get him going with simplicity. Help young Trouba realize that he doesn't have to do everything all the time. Now, with better defense, Pavelec will start to get comfortable...when he's on, he can steal games, he really can...he lacks confidence and consistency (and maybe determination too), but if you want to stop more pucks, you get a better defense...

So you come in and it's: Just relax. We're 0-0 and let's just learn how to play hockey...I think it's a good idea. He's not gonna carry them to a Cup or anything like that...but he's going to close up some spacing issues, he's going to get five guys working towards a common goal...and you just see what happens...
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Maurice likes a very uptempo system and and d-men forcing the rush at the risk of leaving the goaltender to survive on his own. I don't think the Jets are built to do
this at all. They have a problematic blueline and their goaltending isn't that reliable.

Nothing against Maurice who I feel is a pretty good HC, but this seems like a real mismatch of HC styles and talent. Jets need to rebuild basically, IMO.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think their goaltending is fine, but obviously the defense isnt good.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm not sure, brwi, that sounds a lot more like Laviolette than Maurice :lol: - not a lot of tempo to Mo, as I recall...maybe I'm wrong...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Agreed about the Jets not needing a goalie. Pavelec can be good, but some defense and structure in front of him makes all the difference.

Again, it comes down to instilling a culture of winning. The Thrashers have only ever been terrible, and they brought that history with them to Winnipeg.

With their lineup, I think the Jets should try and emulate the Devils style. They've got a lot of big bodies who can smother the puck down low. Not a lot of speed. If Maurice can get them playing a simple game that takes advantage of their strengths, that lineup could be a bubble playoff team.

FWIW, I think a lot of teams are going to be bidding on Orpik if he hits UFA. "Tough veteran defense with leadership intagibles" seems to be top of the list for at least 1/3rd the NHL.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

mikey287 wrote:I'm not sure, brwi, that sounds a lot more like Laviolette than Maurice :lol: - not a lot of tempo to Mo, as I recall...maybe I'm wrong...
They are very similar to me in coaching styles and ironically both coached in Carolina with the same approach. Maurice may have backed-off a bit in Toronto, but I always remember him being a coach that leaves your goaltender and D pretty exposed due to the uptempo nature of his system that encourages a lot of risk-taking.

Hey, he got a win last night in his debut :D Think the Jets need some new personnel but will probably get a bit of boost from the coaching change for a while.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

mikey287 wrote:Actually, I think this is a good move, even if unspectacular. The problem with the Jets is that they don't really know what to do it seems like...they're an inconsistent bunch, they're rather porous defensively and kind of lack a general know-how it appears...I'm not totally sure what Noel means to do, but the players don't really respond to him. When you're a weird guy behind the bench, some players gravitate to it because they think you're a genius...but some will turn it off right away, some will turn it off eventually...when you're slightly off, like Noel is, you're not a players coach...but you're not a hard ass either...and unless results come from your genius, you won't last too long...

Maurice is a players' coach as well. He's pretty soft-spoken, he doesn't really believe in having fights solve problems, he doesn't have any odd, cutting edge stuff...he's structured, he's disciplined, he gets you back to "ok, reset, let's figure out what we actually have..." and for the Jets, who are a relative mess, this is good for them...they don't need a rah-rah guy to come in there and rock the boat until it sinks...this guy comes in with ocean noises and you get back to playing fundamental hockey. Bring Byfuglien - who just played forward the other night - back around. Enstrom, who hasn't produced, get him going with simplicity. Help young Trouba realize that he doesn't have to do everything all the time. Now, with better defense, Pavelec will start to get comfortable...when he's on, he can steal games, he really can...he lacks confidence and consistency (and maybe determination too), but if you want to stop more pucks, you get a better defense...

So you come in and it's: Just relax. We're 0-0 and let's just learn how to play hockey...I think it's a good idea. He's not gonna carry them to a Cup or anything like that...but he's going to close up some spacing issues, he's going to get five guys working towards a common goal...and you just see what happens...
I hope its that way for the Jets as I generally like them as a team, but what I meant was that imo many of the Jets problems are fundamental based on how the roster was built. I think they have a lot of parts that don't fit together in one identity, regardless of who's coach. I think they are in need of some house cleaning, even though I think they'd be mistaken to get rid of Kane, Wheeler, or Enstrom.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

brwi wrote:They are very similar to me in coaching styles....
What do you coach?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I'm pretty sure Brad has coached youth hockey at least.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pitts wrote:I'm pretty sure Brad has coached youth hockey at least.
Yeah, up to high school level and some championships but I'm hardly Scotty Bowman 2.0 :D I still feel like Lavy and Maurice coach very similar styles from my observations of probably watching way too many Carolina Hurricanes' games.