Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by columbia »

Correct.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shmenguin wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
columbia wrote:People who use the term "we" at work.
Also, the use of the word "team" in the workplace.
why is the word we at work bad
With programmers, collaboration is usually a hilarious joke. The suits who use team-speak usually have no idea what that would mean for techies.
http://www.cs.pomona.edu/classes/cs121/ ... _prpgm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Airplane:

I am not a small guy by any means, and I had a girl sit next to me the last time I flew. She not only was about my size (in terms of weight, but she was about half a foot or so shorter than me), but she smelled, was a mouth breather and she had no awareness of where her seat ended. She was constantly crossing the line over to my seat and was unaware/unapologetic. When I'm traveling or in public space, I'm well aware of the fact that not everything is built for 6'5" guys that weigh 250. I feel your pain on that one EPP.

Pitbull owners:

Meh, they have a right to be pissed that people take one look at their dog and say it's dangerous and needs to be killed (in some cases, that is not an over exaggeration). Not only that, but there are restrictions in some cities and a lot of housing communities that forbid pitbulls. Can you imagine the outrage if cities decided to restrict labs? Lab lovers would do the same awareness campaigns as pitbull owners.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

mouth breather is probably the best insult
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm not getting sucked into this argument because I just can't. I love my dog (American Pit Bull Terrier / Jack Russell Terrier mix) and go to great lengths to ensure her safety and the safety of those in and around my home and thats good enough to me because I think I'm in the silent majority of PB owners.

Just wanted to say that after posting here steadily for a little bit I have more in common with tifosi77 than most of my family. ;)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote: I have a friend who has a 75-pound black lab which he refuses to take to the big dog side of the dog park. Because there are pit bulls there. It's just so much :face: that it can't be articulated.
I didn't see your post before I posted... well said.

My dog (17 pound mutt) refuses to play on the small dog side at the dog park. If the big dog side is packed, we just to a park that has a little river that we go swimming in with him, but if there are only a few dogs in the big dog side, we take him in after checking with the people that are currently in there that it's okay. My entire family has big dogs and those are really the only ones he knows how to play with. Obviously if there's one that is really really aggressive we leave and go to the small dog side or a different park.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
columbia wrote:People who use the term "we" at work.
Also, the use of the word "team" in the workplace.
why is the word we at work bad
With programmers, collaboration is usually a hilarious joke. The suits who use team-speak usually have no idea what that would mean for techies.
http://www.cs.pomona.edu/classes/cs121/ ... _prpgm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heh...how bout that. i might give this a try.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:mouth breather is probably the best insult
lol. When I use it, I don't usually mean it as an insult but more as a way to describe how they breath. It's odd though that most people I know that are mouth breathers are generally annoying, and most smell bad.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

hence the term :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:I'm not getting sucked into this argument because I just can't. I love my dog (American Pit Bull Terrier / Jack Russell Terrier mix) and go to great lengths to ensure her safety and the safety of those in and around my home and thats good enough to me because I think I'm in the silent majority of PB owners.

Just wanted to say that after posting here steadily for a little bit I have more in common with tifosi77 than most of my family. ;)
I've known about four Staffies in my life, including one I met as a 12-week old puppy up through her third birthday. All of them were loving and gentle around humans. That's because they were raised to be loving and gentle around humans. If you are a violent sh|thead who raises your dog to be a violent sh|thead, guess what? That's not the dog's fault.

I think bans on specific dog breeds are abhorrent. I'd much rather see a ban on ignoramus humans.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

dodint wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Pitbull owners
Low information opinion.

Which you're entitled to, sure. But, whoa.
Low information indeed and I will expand. See below.
tifosi77 wrote: Seriously? Who sticks up for them? Talk to me when mutts become subjected to nationwide fear mongering campaings. Complain when people cross over to the other side of the street because someone is out walking their mutt.

The problem isn't the dogs, it's with irresponsible owners who represent a very small minority of staffie owners.

I'm perfectly happy letting them be as outspoken as they want. There are entire municipalities and counties that have banned the breed (and there is talk of a statewide ban in Texas), and it's based in nothing more than pathetic, weak-kneed ignorance. I've never been associated with the subject of such a vilification campaign, but I'm sure it's more than a little annoying. I can't imagine having complete strangers openly advocate that my dog should not be allowed to live in my city, or even that it be put down just because.

I have a friend who has a 75-pound black lab which he refuses to take to the big dog side of the dog park. Because there are pit bulls there. It's just so much :face: that it can't be articulated.
Yes, it is the irresponsible owners who are at fault. I know several pitbulls and they are all such sweet animals full of love. I have no problem with the dogs themselves. I even want one but my mother in law was attacked, unprovoked, by one a few years ago. This was a pit that had never shown any signs of aggression and the owner raised the dog right. She had several run ins with the owner and the dog before and it was the sweetest dog she had ever met. One day it snapped for no reason. It can happen with any breed, however there are breeds where this is more likely. It still doesn't mean that they should be treated differently in society.

To expand on my irrational pet peeve, it's the owners who stand on a soap box about their dog because they want to feel important because they own a pit. Good for you. You own a pit. Congratulations? I own a Golden Retriever. Nice to meet you. The biggest problem I have is that I have noticed most of the pit owners I know act like they are a special group that deserves special rights. You're a dog owner. Period. There are laws (probably unjust) that prevent you from living in a certain apartment complex or going to certain dog parks. There are laws, sometimes the same ones, that single out German Shepherds, Rotweillers, and other large breeds. The difference is that Shepherd and Rot owners don't act all smug about it. You know what you are getting into when you adopt a pit.

Again, it's the pompous "I OWN A PIT SO GET USED TO IT AHHHHH!!!!" dog owners that I am speaking about.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

count2infinity wrote:Airplane:

Pitbull owners:

Meh, they have a right to be pissed that people take one look at their dog and say it's dangerous and needs to be killed (in some cases, that is not an over exaggeration). Not only that, but there are restrictions in some cities and a lot of housing communities that forbid pitbulls. Can you imagine the outrage if cities decided to restrict labs? Lab lovers would do the same awareness campaigns as pitbull owners.
And I would feel the same way about them if they were doing it. If Golden's were all of a sudden in the same spotlight as pits then I would do the same thing I do when I hear people say pits are all dangerous. I'd laugh, shake my head, and move on.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I guess I'm just not exposed to that stuff here. We support PB rescues and have some Wallace the Pitbull stuff but I never thought of it as a platform. The closest I come to getting on a soapbox is when Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) is brought up, because that genuinely pisses me off. Especially since PB isn't even a breed on its own, so it gets LEO a lot of leeway when it comes to screwing with peoples dogs, which are viewed as property and have few inherient rights to begin with. I think its the combination of being a "PB" owner and a Libertarian that really stirs me on this issue. I'm a reasonable guy and I stepped into a thread with 'irrational' in the title and took the bait. ;)

I do agree that "I _____ SO GET USED TO IT AHHHHH!!!!" is obnoxious on almost any subject, from religion to pets and everywhere in between. People chosing to be outlandish and then ram it down your throat is awful, particularly if they're bores.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

BSL is abhorrent. Owner Specific Legislation would make more sense.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:To expand on my irrational pet peeve, it's the owners who stand on a soap box about their dog because they want to feel important because they own a pit.
They don't want to feel important, they just don't want their dogs to be castigated. The outsized response is necessary to meet the outsized public cries of foul against their dogs.
PensFanInDC wrote:The biggest problem I have is that I have noticed most of the pit owners I know act like they are a special group that deserves special rights. You're a dog owner. Period.
That's all they want.... to be dog owners. Not be seen as owners of psychotic murdering death beasts. Again, let's revisit this when the second largest state in the nation talks about banning German shepherds or Rotties.
PensFanInDC wrote:There are laws, sometimes the same ones, that single out German Shepherds, Rotweillers, and other large breeds. The difference is that Shepherd and Rot owners don't act all smug about it. You know what you are getting into when you adopt a pit.
I was bitten, quite badly, by a German shepherd when I was a kid. Unprovoked. Grew up scared of dogs my whole life. My wife was an ardent dog lover and set about changing my attitudes by taking me to the dog park. Took about five or six months for me to be comfortable around the bigger dogs, but eventually I came to realize I was being a dope by living my whole life in fear. I think back to the missed opportunities to have great relationships with dogs in the family; my uncle had a collie that was the sweetest animal ever, but I was scared of her. The event that turned the worm for me was one day I crouched down and took a knee, a German shepherd (Rocky was his name) came up behind me and rested his head on my leg. Just for a moment. He looked up at me and then just walked away. I remember everything about that moment with absolute crystal clarity.

It's not the dog.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I was bitten by a toy poodle when I was 4 and was scared of small dogs for a long time.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I was attacked (well...my shins were) by a tiny dog when I was 5 or 6. Was deathly afraid of smallish dogs almost my whole life... then I got one. To be fair though, they thought it'd get about as big as a large beagle, not the pipsqueak that he is. Unfortunately many people take their own personal experience and believe it to be true for everyone. Then to make things worse, people take other people's personal experiences and adopt them as their own and can make laws based on them... and that's what happened to the pitbulls. I'd be willing to bet none of the people that make the laws about pitbulls were ever actually "attacked" by one.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Lots of times "Pit Bull" is a generic term used by "journalists" for any dog attack, which doesn't help things.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

dodint wrote:Lots of times "Pit Bull" is a generic term used by "journalists" for any dog attack, which doesn't help things.
I thought he was a Cuban rapper out of Miami? :pop:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I thought he was white?
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

I'm a Pit Bull owner and I agree with PFIDC that some owners do tend to stand on their soap box. But that's not just pit bull owners. That's anyone that has someone else telling them they shouldn't be doing something. So that's mom's who want to breast feed in public, that's Libertarians (me), that's gun owners (me), that's gay people (not me - not that there's anything... yeah), that's everyone.

Take a look at your Facebook wall (I'm not on it) and you'll see everyone spouting off about their causes. We all do it. We all want everyone else to know that we're right and that we're special. But that's not me because I'm not on FB and I'm not special, despite my mother's best efforts to make me believe so.

And good grief, you see how loud pit bull owners are, parents are worse!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I was complaining about the soap boxes that pitbull owners (some) stand on and the issues they bombard us with -- Not about the dogs or any violence.

I've been around animals all my life and have been bit by a dog once, and it was some kind of bichon-**** thing that ran after me and bit me in the calf in a hotel.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I would like to buy another watch, specifically a silvertone watch with a metal band, white dial, full numeral markers, and at least a date window if not also a day window. I'm on the record that for arbitrary personal reasons I only buy Timex watches, but Timex at the moment doesn't make anything that fits those requirements. I'm looking covetously at some other brands, but I don't want to buy a non-Timex.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

People who can't be troubled to say 'thanks' when you hold the door for them. It's not much trouble. Really.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

When a company hires another layer of management (from outside the company) and that new layer of management doesn't add anything but another layer of bureaucratic **** to your already strenuous workload. Then they take credit when there are improvements to the department, despite not even doing the very few things that were asked of said person to begin with.