2014 World Junior Championships

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2014 World Junior Championships

Post by shoeshine boy »

meow wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:I can't believe that Czech kid that shoved the linesman out of the way to get to McDavid only got 2 minutes. he should send the linesman flowers after the tourney.
also related: McDavid was dbag for shooting that puck after the whistle. he knows better than that. good on the coach for benching him.
?? I thought he got a match. He is definitely suspended for their next game.
during the game he only got 2 minutes. IIHF must've reviewed it and given him supplemental discipline. good for them.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Coming out party for Derrick Pouliot...felt like he was out there for 30 minutes today as the Canadians get four unanswered to erase a 3-1 deficit midway through...

He's trusted to do everything for the Canadians, him and young Ekblad. And considering how terrible Matthew Dumba is, Pouliot looks even better by association...

And my pet prospect from the 2013 draft, Nic Petan wins it and seals it...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I always thought Ekblad was Swedish... you know, with a name like Ekblad and what not.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

mikey287 wrote: And considering how terrible Matthew Dumba is...
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who thought this.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

mikey287 wrote:Coming out party for Derrick Pouliot...felt like he was out there for 30 minutes today as the Canadians get four unanswered to erase a 3-1 deficit midway through...

He's trusted to do everything for the Canadians, him and young Ekblad. And considering how terrible Matthew Dumba is, Pouliot looks even better by association...

If people have a problem with Letang, they are going to hate Pouliot. He has plays where he is super patient and it looks like he just walks around a player or two (like on the PP today) but then has plays where he seems to completely misread the play and look lost. Also, is it me or does it seem like he completely misses the net more than 50% of the time? Another complaint that was heard about Letang in his early career.

That block late in the game which lead to the rush the other way and the Petan goal was great though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

mikey287 wrote:Coming out party for Derrick Pouliot...felt like he was out there for 30 minutes today as the Canadians get four unanswered to erase a 3-1 deficit midway through...

Yeah, not only are he and Ekblad getting #1 PK time too, but he's also the only D-man on the #1 PP unit, and was great moving it around there by all ccounts (could only listen to the game today).

Would hate to see what Canada's transition game would look like without him (I mean, as an American, I wouldn't hate it :lol: ).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

lemieuxReturns wrote:

If people have a problem with Letang, they are going to hate Pouliot. He has plays where he is super patient and it looks like he just walks around a player or two (like on the PP today) but then has plays where he seems to completely misread the play and look lost. Also, is it me or does it seem like he completely misses the net more than 50% of the time? Another complaint that was heard about Letang in his early career.

That block late in the game which lead to the rush the other way and the Petan goal was great though.
He's still a work in the progress, but the good are starting to heavily outweigh the bad, and that's what you want to see.

He still has more poise with the puck right now than Letang will ever have. While Tang is a much more explosive player who relies on his physical gifts more than anything (but oh, what gifts they are), Pouliot gets it done more cerebrally with his vision, poise, and superb passing. He's no slouch on his feet either.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The Jets must have heard Mikey gushing about Petan, because he just got inked to an ELC
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Wait til they find out how much better he is than Schiefele...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

US up 1-0 on Canada. Riley Barber with a shorty as a 4 on 4 expired.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

What a game by Fucale. Huge impact on the game keeping things in reach while Canada got thoroughly outplayed through the first 30-ish minutes.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

I watched only the third (two screens!). Great save on the breakaway but then canceled it out with a soft goal to make it 3-2. Made for a fun finish though. Hope they see each other again.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Anyone else go for the 6 am wake up call here...?

Watching USA/RUS
Spoiler:
Lots of goals here in the 1st...it's 3-2 Americans after 1. The new Matteau-Eichel-Hartman line has two...the next one was a Riley Barber flip from center that was knocked out of the air by Nic Kerdiles and shot in from 40 feet. Pretty bad goal by Vasilevskiy...neither goalie has made a game changing save yet. Some odd bounces. Jack Eichel is a special player...2015 eligible kid and he's got top-5 pick written all over him...his vision at this age, just super...

Not the same feeling watching on TV as oppose to a stream because there's no Gord Miller/Ray Ferraro...so much better than Steve Mears and Dave Starman, with respect to them because they aren't doing bad...
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Spoiler:
I turned it on in the middle of the 2nd. US really struggled with the quickness of the Russian team. Their aggressive PK seemed to really confound the US PP.
Last edited by Mango Salsa on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Spoiler:
wow. can't believe USA just lost to Russia who had already lost to some weaker teams. just goes to show, if you can bring your A game past the round robin anything is possible. I'm ok with it. I don't like repeat champions. go Sweden!
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Spoiler:
USA's PP just completely dried up.
James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 44m
USA knocked out in QF at World Jrs, losing 5-3 to Russia. Their powerplay started tourney 11-17, ends 0-11.
Woof.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Spoiler:
The U.S. looked plugged in there for a while...and then the three consecutive penalties in short succession, which included a 135-foot delay of game call, really took the wind out of America's sails...from that point, the legs weren't there, the enthusiasm wasn't there, and they weren't able to really test Vasilevskiy that much...unfortunately for player 7, he blows a tire and Buchnevich slams the door...
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

if this proves anything it proves that once you get to the Quarters, NOBODY is safe.
I love how this tournament has equalized over the last 10 years. every year every major country has a good chance of taking home the Gold.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

mikey287 wrote:
Spoiler:
The U.S. looked plugged in there for a while...and then the three consecutive penalties in short succession, which included a 135-foot delay of game call, really took the wind out of America's sails...from that point, the legs weren't there, the enthusiasm wasn't there, and they weren't able to really test Vasilevskiy that much...unfortunately for player 7, he blows a tire and Buchnevich slams the door...
Classy celly there too by Russia after that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I won't say I'm for or against what happened to him after that celebration...but I'll just say, that's what happens to you when you make a spectacle of yourself in the wrong way...and that's how it is all down the line...
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

mikey287 wrote:I won't say I'm for or against what happened to him after that celebration...but I'll just say, that's what happens to you when you make a spectacle of yourself in the wrong way...and that's how it is all down the line...
yep, pretty much. loved it that he was the one in the box at the end as well. USA D blew a tire, plain and simple. it's not like it was the Russian's skill that got him the goal.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Here's a video of Pouliot's goal from today:

https://tweet.tsn.ca/TwitterPlayerCard/ ... dc=tsn_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really nice release, among other things.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

meecrofilm wrote:Here's a video of Pouliot's goal from today:

https://tweet.tsn.ca/TwitterPlayerCard/ ... dc=tsn_web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mcdonalds in canada has poutine?!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Here's a video of Pouliot's goal from today:

mcdonalds in canada has poutine?!
Yes, and it's DELICIOUS!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, pretty good according to some accounts. They just started advertising it, though I thought Quebec McDonalds had had it for a while now...I could be wrong though.