US Olympic Team

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: US Olympic Team

Post by Jim »

Gaucho wrote:
Jim wrote:Orpik is going to get eaten alive on the big ice. However, 10 guys will skate around him like he isn't even there, then he hill lay a so-so hit on 1 guy... and everyone here will be carrying on about how much of a stud defenseman he is. Russian and Swedish forwards are smiling right now.
Your view on Orpik is bizarre to say the least.
I prefer "consistent and based on actual game observation"
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

MRandall25 wrote:There's always a risk building a roster for this kind of thing. Look at how Russia has largely underperformed. Skill doesn't always win.
Well of course for any team built like this, but thats general across the board. a USA focused discussion point since they are slightly altering the mold:

Do people think this roster and style they are going for is the right way, gives us the best chance? I'm not an Olympic hockey guru, so wondering about leaving some clearly really talented guys off the roster for this specific reason, for this clear style they are going for. Do people think this is the right way?

I don't know the answer, but am intrigued.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm not sure there is a true "right" way of making a roster for the Olympics.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Nothing like the Olympic spirit to make us forget our petty internet squabbles and come together to support our national program and its players, right?

U
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

There's always going to be debate on the selection of these teams - for example, just wait until Canada announces their team. I think this is a solid roster, and I definately can't wait for the olympics.

The two questions I see on the blueline are Orpik and Carlson. Are these their best choices? I don't follow the Caps as closely as I used to, and Orpik, while being tremendous in the last olympics, doesn't seem nearly as reliable since. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with these two choices, just interested to hear thoughts on these guys, especially Carlson, as I don't follow him that closely.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Orpik might have lost a quarter step or so, but he still moves extremely well for a guy known as a hitter. He wasn't a big surprise to me for the roster. Certainly a surprise, but he's not out of place with the others on that blue line.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Considering Orpik and Martin usually go up against the Ovechkins, Stamkoses, etc of the league and hold their own, it's pretty easy to see why he'd get a spot.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

MRandall25 wrote:Considering Orpik and Martin usually go up against the Ovechkins, Stamkoses, etc of the league and hold their own, it's pretty easy to see why he'd get a spot.
I've seen a couple places saying that Martin is expected to play with Suter. I don't know if there is anything to that, but its the thing that makes me wonder about Orpik on the team.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:There's always a risk building a roster for this kind of thing. Look at how Russia has largely underperformed. Skill doesn't always win.
Well of course for any team built like this, but thats general across the board. a USA focused discussion point since they are slightly altering the mold:

Do people think this roster and style they are going for is the right way, gives us the best chance? I'm not an Olympic hockey guru, so wondering about leaving some clearly really talented guys off the roster for this specific reason, for this clear style they are going for. Do people think this is the right way?

I don't know the answer, but am intrigued.
I'm by no means an expert on building a team or any sort of scout, but in my view the US team isn't going to out skill Canada or Russia whether Ryan and Yandle are on the team or not. They can't beat those teams that way. They just don't have enough skill with or without them. It looks to me like the plan is to play a low scoring defensive game with players who don't take risks and aren't mistake prone with the hopes that their superior goalies can be the difference. I think this team will be better than the Russians, who will have far superior skill up front, but likely take a lot of risks. I also don't expect the Russians to have the personnel to have a strong pk unit. The Canadian team will likely have an advantage everywhere except in net. In my opinion the US is hoping that advantage is enough and wants to make sure the Canadian's earn their scoring chances. Time will tell if this approach is best. I don't have any issues with any of their choices besides Howard who has looked awful.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

The real crime is Crosby's snub;

Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

That Burnside piece is fantastic. Putting our 20 technically most talented players out there isn't going to beat Canada, I like the way they built the team. Hate the Howard pick but who cares, if we get to our third string goalie we're screwed anyways.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

It's pretty funny reading Canadian fans on twitter laughing at the perceived no-brainer omissions of Yandle and Ryan and at the same praying that Canada doesn't select guys like Kunitz and Vlasic.

It's not easy.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:The real crime is Crosby's snub;

Haha

Just wait till she finds out that Chara won't be on Team Canada
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

IMO you can pick out guys that Bobby Ryan is clearly better than. With Yandle you can't say the same.

Suter, Martin, and McDonagh were absolute 100% locks... the other 5 were up for debate. Shattenkirk was probably next, Orpik was a vet with international experience, penalty killing skill, great foot speed, and a history of winning. Pretty easy choices.

The last 3 spots went to Fowler, Faulk, and Carlson, and if they would have went with Yandle, JJ, and EJ, they probably would have been no better or worse.

Faulk and Carlson were important additions as well, being right handers.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

If Suter and Martin are a pair, they might play 30 minutes a game.

Suter-Martin
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Orpik-Carlson/Faulk
Fowler

I dig it.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

People who think that this team is going to be a pushover, are losing their minds. This team is actually really gritty. They are going to be a pain in the ass to play against. They might not have the finesse, but they are going to be very good. They should medal.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kovy27 wrote:People who think that this team is going to be a pushover, are losing their minds. This team is actually really gritty. They are going to be a pain in the ass to play against. They might not have the finesse, but they are going to be very good. They should medal.
With some great goaltending, which they have plenty of, they should be serious gold medal contenders. The more I look at this roster, the more I like it.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

meow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:People who think that this team is going to be a pushover, are losing their minds. This team is actually really gritty. They are going to be a pain in the ass to play against. They might not have the finesse, but they are going to be very good. They should medal.
With some great goaltending, which they have plenty of, they should be serious gold medal contenders. The more I look at this roster, the more I like it.
Honestly, they have the 2nd best goalie tandem behind Finland. If they can wear down Canada and Russia...they'll be fine.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kovy27 wrote:
meow wrote:
Honestly, they have the 2nd best goalie tandem behind Finland. If they can wear down Canada and Russia...they'll be fine.
I'm not as keen on Finland's goaltending as I was before Rinne's infection problems. They still have Rask and Niemi, but I think Rinne would have started the majority of the games, in my opinion. Still, the depth is there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

They lost in overtime to canada last time around. Canada probably had the best team ever compiled i. 2010. Im not too worried about this team.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

meow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
meow wrote:
I'm not as keen on Finland's goaltending as I was before Rinne's infection problems. They still have Rask and Niemi, but I think Rinne would have started the majority of the games, in my opinion. Still, the depth is there.
What is the status on Rinne? Will he be back soon?

I still think Rask will be fine with Niemi backing him up...if Rinne isn't ready.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Rinne wasn impressive before getting hurt. US's goalies are rigt there anyway. With their vastly superior defense, they should have the best looking goalies in the tournament.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

He had a set back two weeks ago. I haven't heard much since. He had a rather routine surgery that developed the infection. The surgery is pretty amazing when you get into the medical mumbo jumbo behind it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Interesting, no one has mentioned that Orpik was only a lock because Blysma insisted. In fact, he was the only player Blysma put his foot down on (though he recommended Oshie and Howard as well.)

Blysma also said he wouldn't play Yandle.

Excellent article from Burnside. Though very little noted involvement from Shero...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I wouldn't play Yandle either. A headless chicken would have better D-zone coverage.