US Olympic Team

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: US Olympic Team

Post by Gaucho »

Mobility has never been his problem.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Uhm...interesting texture...it's chewy...

I gotta get some air...

---
Positive note: At least Cam Fowler and Justin Faulk made it, I really like them. Especially Cam. Terrific player.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Gaucho wrote:Mobility has never been his problem.
And the bigger ice does not equal more speed.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PhantomJB93 »

So who's the fourth top 6 wing without Ryan? Kane, Kessel, Parise are all obvious locks but I would have had Ryan there, I get not having Ryan if he's not going to play top 6 but there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement for him...I'm guessing Pacioretty or JVR?
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Shakes wrote:
Really good piece.
Agreed, and informative about the Ryan discussion.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

MRandall25 wrote:I'd assume they left Yandle off for someone more defensively responsible.

Also Bobby Ryan won't be any good unless he's playing top 6.
curious to see how other teams are built. I don't remember seeing predictions for typical 3rd lines.

I get building an overall team but I think we left some real talent off for guys that aren't nearly as good. can be risky.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

PhantomJB93 wrote:So who's the fourth top 6 wing without Ryan? Kane, Kessel, Parise are all obvious locks but I would have had Ryan there, I get not having Ryan if he's not going to play top 6 but there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement for him...I'm guessing Pacioretty or JVR?
Dustin Brown could probably be thrown in there too
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I'd assume they left Yandle off for someone more defensively responsible.

curious to see how other teams are built. I don't remember seeing predictions for typical 3rd lines.

I get building an overall team but I think we left some real talent off for guys that aren't nearly as good. can be risky.
I guess, but reading that article and having watched Ryan, perhaps his game isn't really suited for the international-sized rink.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This certainly makes the "you don't put a player like Kunitz on the team" conversation a little more interesting.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Canada has a lot more options for their team than the US does
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

MRandall25 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I guess, but reading that article and having watched Ryan, perhaps his game isn't really suited for the international-sized rink.
Sure, but then we left off Yandle and Jack Johnson who would seem better suited for larger ice as a bigger slower dmen even if more defensive minded will have a hard time.

I'm not really complaining just curious overall. There will always be "snubs" but a few selections are just pretty strange to me.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Jack Johnson is a terrible defenseman.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

MRandall25 wrote:Canada has a lot more options for their team than the US does
Sometimes it's about heart and guts and character:
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... =6&t=63265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Saad came so close. 26th guy on a 25 man roster. He's Ralph Cox. I think he should have made it.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote: Sure, but then we left off Yandle and Jack Johnson who would seem better suited for larger ice as a bigger slower dmen even if more defensive minded will have a hard time.

I'm not really complaining just curious overall. There will always be "snubs" but a few selections are just pretty strange to me.
Being more mobile does not necessarily mean a player is more suited for the bigger ice. Speed is not that big of a difference maker. Knowing the angle changes and having strong puck possession skills are higher needs.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

So, Bobby Ryan didn't make it...that's a head scratcher.

I also think Ben Bishop got screwed. I disagree with Howard going over him, but I doubt Howard sees anytime unless Quick or Miller go down.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Looks like a team built to play grind it out, low scoring hockey. Should be a good, tough team along the boards.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

It's clear from the article that Orpik was a top-4 lock pretty early on (although there is little discussion of his game). But they clearly trust him based no doubt on his solid past performances for the national team.

I was more surprised about E. Johnson than Yandle. But I can't really argue with any of the D choices.

Sounds like Martin is pegged for top pairing minutes with Suter.

Also, thanks for the update, Pauly:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 52m
Just spoke with Paul Martin. Says he is "pumped" and will be healthy to play in the Olympics.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

sniper wrote:Looks like a team built to play grind it out, low scoring hockey. Should be a good, tough team along the boards.
Yep. They wanted this identity speed and grit at all forward positions plus enough skill guys for the PP. Ryan doesn't fit the former and his PP numbers are (surprisingly?) too low to put him on the team for the PP.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Orpik is going to get eaten alive on the big ice. However, 10 guys will skate around him like he isn't even there, then he hill lay a so-so hit on 1 guy... and everyone here will be carrying on about how much of a stud defenseman he is. Russian and Swedish forwards are smiling right now.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Hoping I am probably wrong as usual, but I definitely don't see a gold medal, or any medal with this team.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Jim wrote:Orpik is going to get eaten alive on the big ice. However, 10 guys will skate around him like he isn't even there, then he hill lay a so-so hit on 1 guy... and everyone here will be carrying on about how much of a stud defenseman he is. Russian and Swedish forwards are smiling right now.
Your view on Orpik is bizarre to say the least.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

meow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote: Sure, but then we left off Yandle and Jack Johnson who would seem better suited for larger ice as a bigger slower dmen even if more defensive minded will have a hard time.

Being more mobile does not necessarily mean a player is more suited for the bigger ice. Speed is not that big of a difference maker. Knowing the angle changes and having strong puck possession skills are higher needs.
I get that to a point, but generally Orpik isn't always great at those things even though he is a defensive minded guy. I'm just overall questioning the roster (not complaining) in regards to some slots and reasoning posted being of the ice surface, rules and type of play the roster is suited for.

In Olympic hockey do you need prototypical 3rd and 4th line guys? Are other rosters set up like this? Is the USA trying to break the mold slightly because they think that gives them the best chance to succeed to cover most likely a skill disadvantage?

Can we play a slower game or will it open up against most teams regardless of how we want to play?

Again, there will always be snubs. I'm not against anything really, but the roster was clearly built for a specific purpose and that has to come with some risk.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

There's always a risk building a roster for this kind of thing. Look at how Russia has largely underperformed. Skill doesn't always win.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

MRandall25 wrote:There's always a risk building a roster for this kind of thing. Look at how Russia has largely underperformed. Skill doesn't always win.
Just wait until Russia finishes 5th. LOL