Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Post by shoeshine boy »

Lt. Dish wrote:If it goes to a shootout, then I think the Caps have this. Flyers have the goaltending but not the shooting in the SO. Hell, maybe today, they don't even have the tending; Mason hasn't been great the entire 3rd. But, who's this Grubauer kid and what do we know about him?
you must be right about the Cryers shooters. there's no other reason to put out Couturier as your 3rd shooter when you absolutely have to have a goal. the dude is 0-2 career in SO's. was that really the best they had left????
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

shoeshine boy wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:If it goes to a shootout, then I think the Caps have this. Flyers have the goaltending but not the shooting in the SO. Hell, maybe today, they don't even have the tending; Mason hasn't been great the entire 3rd. But, who's this Grubauer kid and what do we know about him?
you must be right about the Cryers shooters. there's no other reason to put out Couturier as your 3rd shooter when you absolutely have to have a goal. the dude is 0-2 career in SO's. was that really the best they had left????
Seriously. Ask any Phan. League worst since the shootout was implemented.

This was published before yesterday's debacle:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies in advance for linking to a Frank Seravalli article, but it's mostly just numbers.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Geez, like half of Washington's wins are SO wins. What a joke.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shoeshine boy wrote:
I guess you can argue that he shouldn't be the third shooter, but they didn't know that he was going to be in a do or die situation when they selected him to go third.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

meecrofilm wrote:Geez, like half of Washington's wins are SO wins. What a joke.
They really need to change 3 for W in Reg, 2 for Win in OT/SO, 1 for OTL, 0 for Reg Loss.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Kovy27 wrote:
They really need to change 3 for W in Reg, 2 for Win in OT/SO, 1 for OTL, 0 for Reg Loss.
Why don't they play for a 5-on-5 winner, unlimited OT? That's the way it should be. The game is the game. Not sure why it has to change because 3 periods have been played without a winner.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Kovy27 wrote:
Agreed. And then keep the same ROW tiebreaker, giving..

Reg Win - 3 pts
OT Win - 2 pts + tiebreaker
SO Win - 2 pts
SO Loss - 1 pt
OT Loss - 1 pt
Reg Loss - 0 pts
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Guinness wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Why don't they play for a 5-on-5 winner, unlimited OT? That's the way it should be. The game is the game. Not sure why it has to change because 3 periods have been played without a winner.
Three reasons:
  1. Broadcast windows only allow for a certain amount of time;
  2. The original scope of the game is 3 periods - no more, no less; and,
  3. It would wreak havoc on scheduling because of travel and back-to-back games.
I'm inclined to believe that the broadcasters hold the biggest weight in this argument as "unlimited OT" games would tear their schedules apart. Even if it's a double-header a la HNIC, could you imagine the outrage if the late game never got shown because the early game went to something like 6 or 7 OT?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

tfrizz wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Three reasons:
I'm inclined to believe that the broadcasters hold the biggest weight in this argument as "unlimited OT" games would tear their schedules apart. Even if it's a double-header a la HNIC, could you imagine the outrage if the late game never got shown because the early game went to something like 6 or 7 OT?
Meh. How often would it go that many OT?

Changing the game after 3 periods seems hackneyed, to me.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Guinness wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Three reasons:
Meh. How often would it go that many OT?

Changing the game after 3 periods seems hackneyed, to me.
Keep in mind that there are 1230 games in a regular NHL season. So far this season, 78 of 504 games (15.5%) of games have gone to a shootout. Even if we were to go as low as saying that 1 in every 10 shootout games would've gone multiple overtimes, we're looking at 20 games a season that are going to cause broadcast troubles.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

tfrizz wrote:
Keep in mind that there are 1230 games in a regular NHL season. So far this season, 78 of 504 games (15.5%) of games have gone to a shootout. Even if we were to go as low as saying that 1 in every 10 shootout games would've gone multiple overtimes, we're looking at 20 games a season that are going to cause broadcast troubles.
Baseball manages to deal with it.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Guinness wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Broadcasters deal with it for baseball because the viewership is there. Since I can't seem to find the season long numbers, here are the average number of viewers for the 2013 World Series vs the 2013 Stanley Cup final:

World Series (6 games): 14.9-million viewers
Stanley Cup(6 games): 5.76-million viewers

In fact, the poorest numbers out of the World Series (Game 3: 12.5-million viewers) drew more viewers than the highest rated game in the Stanley Cup final (Game 6: 8.16-million viewers).
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

tfrizz wrote:
Guinness wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Broadcasters deal with it for baseball because the viewership is there. Since I can't seem to find the season long numbers, here are the average number of viewers for the 2013 World Series vs the 2013 Stanley Cup final:

World Series (6 games): 14.9-million viewers
Stanley Cup(6 games): 5.76-million viewers

In fact, the poorest numbers out of the World Series (Game 3: 12.5-million viewers) drew more viewers than the highest rated game in the Stanley Cup final (Game 6: 8.16-million viewers).
Granted. Primarily, from a "purist" standpoint, it doesn't seem like a good reason. Also, I wonder how good for the game itself it is to manipulate it for purely cosmetic reasons.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Would be more interested to see regular season games, as baseball regular season games see the same teams faceoff three or four consecutive games over 162 games. Hockey almost never sees two teams faceoff three times consecutively. I would be curious to see regular season numbers...

Baseball playoffs are shorter, rarer and with a bigger lead-up (plus, the World Series is more universally considered "historical" and baseball is a more popular sport), they should have bigger numbers...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Would be more interested to see regular season games, as baseball regular season games see the same teams faceoff three or four consecutive games over 162 games. Hockey almost never sees two teams faceoff three times consecutively. I would be curious to see regular season numbers...

Baseball playoffs are shorter, rarer and with a bigger lead-up (plus, the World Series is more universally considered "historical" and baseball is a more popular sport), they should have bigger numbers...
So would I, but the numbers are scarcely available for anything but the finals in either league.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Guinness wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
yeah but baseball isn't NEARLY as physically demanding as hockey is. no way you'll get unlimited OT in the regular season.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Cursory information, tfrizz and other interested parties...
For the second straight year, the Detroit Tigers led all Major League Baseball teams in local TV ratings.

Fox Sports Detroit averaged a 9.59 rating for Tigers games during the 2013 regular season, up 4% from last year’s 9.21, and the highest average ever for the Tigers on the network. The previous record was set last year.

As was the case last year, the Tigers had the highest local rating in baseball.

The St. Louis Cardinals ranked second for the season with an 8.83 average on FS Midwest, up 15% from last year (7.70).

The biggest increase of the season belonged to the Royals, whose 6.39 average on FS Kansas City marked a 70% from last year’s 3.76. The Indians (5.55, +43%), Dodgers (2.70, +41%), Padres (2.42, +30%) and Orioles (6.34, +28%) rounded out the top five.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Kovy27 wrote:
Yeah, I think this makes the most sense. Unlimited OT in the regular season would be a nightmare. And I think doing like, 5 mins of 4 on 4 and then 5 mins of 3 on 3... just either start out with the 3 on 3 or be done with it, don't keep on extending the overtime.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

I know I should be rooting for the Flyers, but I just can't do it.

Come'on Caps.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

In these match ups, I hope the two teams beat each other up, and ultimately, that it is not a 3 point game.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

NBC calling Alzner for Canada at Sochi?
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Holy crap..Quincy really nailed Getzlaf
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Was Kindl tired or why did he allow Perry to just parade by him?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

AO gets handed another goal. Blah
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Players aren't even covering him anymore.

Like...he's the only one that can score, you may want to pay attention to him.