Chicago game question

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
roller81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Chicago game question

Post by roller81 »

So I ended up getting tickets to the chicago stadium game, but having never been to Chicago, I was hoping maybe someone here would have some advice for the trip.

I was planning to fly into o'hare saturday morning, check into a hotel, go to the game, then come home sunday. Looking online, it seems they have decent enough subway/train coverage that I shouldn't need to rent a car, or take a cab around? Does anyone know how realistic it is to do this without being a huge pain in the ass, to take a train from o'hare to a hotel, from hotel to soldier field, then back? Would like to avoid renting a car, as I assume i'd need to pay parking at the hotel too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Chicago game question

Post by mikey287 »

I didn't make the exact trip you're talking about...but even relatively impaired, I didn't have too much trouble using public transportation in Chicago...I think you would be fine, but there's probably others with better answers here...given what a bustling city it is and how far the airport is from the UC, I doubt that you'd want to take a cab. It's a long, but direct train ride...

Hmm...reading closer, you're going to Soldier Field...I know even less about that...sorry...
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Fly into Midway if you can. It's much less crowded and the train leaves from the airport and will take you right downtown.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Midway's closer to Soldier Field anyway if you decide to stay near the stadium.
roller81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by roller81 »

Hmm, i was planning o'hare because there are multiple airlines that do non-stop pittsburgh to chicago, 1.5 hours vs a stop in minneapolis, philly, etc, making it like a 5 hour flight
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah O'hare will undoubtedly be significantly less expensive.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

Southwest has about 6 nonstops a day to Midway. United and American both go to O'Hare about the same.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I always fly Southwest to Chicago. Midway is far less of a zoo than O'Hare.

Chicago's mass transit is excellent. You won't need a car or have to take a taxi. When I've seen the Pens at the United Center, I've taken a bus. Post game tons of buses lined up outside to take you back into town.

I'm sure it will be the same for the game at Soliders Field. I'm guessing there will be buses galore going to and from the game. Not sure if the L runs to the stadium.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

One of the best mass tran systems in the country. You'll have no issues getting around efficiently, even from O'hare.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

And if you don't feel comfortable taking the metro, there are tons of cabs around. More expensive but no fuss.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Make sure you know where the buses or trains are. Double sure. When I went to a game there I got out and wasn't sure where to go. I didn't see any buses. Luckily someone directed me to to the train stop which wasn't well marked at other points in the arena. If you miss all of that stuff you are stuck in that neighborhood which is way dangerous ghetto.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Sams_Dog wrote:Make sure you know where the buses or trains are. Double sure. When I went to a game there I got out and wasn't sure where to go. I didn't see any buses. Luckily someone directed me to to the train stop which wasn't well marked at other points in the arena. If you miss all of that stuff you are stuck in that neighborhood which is way dangerous ghetto.
Well, he'll be at Soldier Field. Which is in a really nice little area.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by JeanPronovost »

The train leaves from O'Hare also. I found a good room deal at the downtown Travelodge, which is walking distance from Soldier Field.

You can easily get around Chicago without cab or rental car. Just organize the stuff you want to do beforehand.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

It will probably really friggin cold.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Call the hotel directly and they actually will give you the best way to get back and forth. Not that i don't think our board members are helpful but someone who lives there might know better.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

I live here. Public transit is a no-brainer. In fact, even if you had a car for free, you'd want to take public transit. It's fast, easy, and cheap. If you're in a bind, take a cab.

I'm indifferent between flying out of O'Hare and Midway. O'Hare is a zoo, but it's no worse than any other major airport out of which you've flown. All else being equal, I would prefer Midway, but I'd choose O'hare to save a buck.

Trains from both cities will easily transport you to the city for $2.25. Cabs cost $40. From Midway, follow the signs to "trains to the city." You'll take the orange line, which takes you into the loop. From there, you can transfer to another line that is nearer your hotel. Presumably you'll be staying in River North, Magnificent Mile, where most hotels are. That's the red line. Transfer from Roosevelt -- follow the signs to the red line, and take it north toward Howard. Get off at Lake, Grand, or Chicago depending on where your hotel is.

O'hare is the same thing. "Trains to the city." Blue line. Transfer at Jackson to red line. If you need another line off the blue line, Clark/Lake has transfers to every line but the red.

Transit to Soldier Field is tricky. Several busses pass it, and they are totally suitable. But out-of-towners struggle with the bus. Find your bus number, the stop, and wait for it. Transit Stop is a great app for timing the busses at their particular stops.

You can virtually walk anywhere you'd want to eat or drink.

Consider downloading the Uber App. New signups get a $25 credit to UberX. UberX is amazing. It charges below-cab-fare rates. You set the location at which you want picked up. A driver (who is a regular guy in a car) picks you up and takes you where you want -- anywhere in the city. Once you leave, your credit card is billed directly. You don't even tip!