Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

Fwiw, I have a friend who sees Giada in person quite a lot, and she's convinced that the petite lemon freak is unaltered.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tifosi77 wrote:Fwiw, I have a friend who sees Giada in person quite a lot, and she's convinced that the petite lemon freak is unaltered.
I believe it
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone read Bon Appetit magazine? They are offering a year subscription for 4.99 today, thinking about getting the wife it, but not sure exactly what kind of food magazine it is?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's not bad. I let my subscription lapse after, I think, two years. I think Food & Wine, Lucky Peach and Saveur are better, altho the latter is starting to show some compromise in quality of late.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

tifosi77 wrote:It's not bad. I let my subscription lapse after, I think, two years. I think Food & Wine, Lucky Peach and Saveur are better, altho the latter is starting to show some compromise in quality of late.

Thanks, I'll check those out. I picked it up for a year, for $5, why not?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, that's only a bit more expensive than a single issue.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

heres the link if anyone else is interested

http://www.discountmags.com/product/586 ... slickdeals

promo code: SLICKDEALS
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I mentioned this in the sloppy joes thread, but probably worth a cross-post in here... after the talk of Loosemeat sandwiches from Rosanne, I was tempted to search out recipes and try them for myself. It took a couple times to get the recipe to my liking, but I've now made them a few times and I quite enjoy them.

Start off by throwing some ground meat and diced onion in a pan and liberally salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned and then drain any excess fat.

While the meat is cooking, heat up some beef broth. After draining the grease from the beef, add the broth. Cover and simmer until most of the juices have evaporated.

At this point, place the buns on top of the mixture and replace the cover and allow the buns to steam for a couple minutes, then carefully remove them to your plate.

Once the remainder of the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated, melt some american cheese over top.

Apply some yellow mustard to the buns and then scoop the meat mixture onto the buns. I usually let them sit for a few mins before putting the tops on as it tends to be molten.

The result is quite yummy, IMO.

As for amounts, I've been using a single frozen sirloin patty, half a small onion, and one cup of beef broth. This makes 2 sandwiches.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I found my dinner tomorrow. Ty TWC.....
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Deer burgers for dinner. Meat was breathing about 26 hours ago.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

the wicked child wrote:I mentioned this in the sloppy joes thread, but probably worth a cross-post in here... after the talk of Loosemeat sandwiches from Rosanne, I was tempted to search out recipes and try them for myself. It took a couple times to get the recipe to my liking, but I've now made them a few times and I quite enjoy them.

Start off by throwing some ground meat and diced onion in a pan and liberally salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned and then drain any excess fat.

While the meat is cooking, heat up some beef broth. After draining the grease from the beef, add the broth. Cover and simmer until most of the juices have evaporated.

At this point, place the buns on top of the mixture and replace the cover and allow the buns to steam for a couple minutes, then carefully remove them to your plate.

Once the remainder of the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated, melt some american cheese over top.

Apply some yellow mustard to the buns and then scoop the meat mixture onto the buns. I usually let them sit for a few mins before putting the tops on as it tends to be molten.

The result is quite yummy, IMO.

As for amounts, I've been using a single frozen sirloin patty, half a small onion, and one cup of beef broth. This makes 2 sandwiches.
Maid rite in Iowa is fameous for their takeout loose meat sandwiches, I saw them on some travel channel show this weekend. The meat was pretty much seasoned ground beef and the sandwich had raw onion, pickles, and mustard.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

mac5155 wrote:Deer burgers for dinner. Meat was breathing about 26 hours ago.
Nice Mac! Old tough buck or tasty young doe? I shot a nice impala here last Saturday and had the fillets from it on the grill that night! As they say down here, it was lekker!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

viva la ben wrote:Maid rite in Iowa is fameous for their takeout loose meat sandwiches, I saw them on some travel channel show this weekend. The meat was pretty much seasoned ground beef and the sandwich had raw onion, pickles, and mustard.
I read several recipes and kind of experimented after that... I could see the pickles, but I don't like the sound of the raw onion in this particular sandwich. Perhaps next time I make one I'll add a pickle to one to see if it does anything for me.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

OutofFoil wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Deer burgers for dinner. Meat was breathing about 26 hours ago.
Nice Mac! Old tough buck or tasty young doe? I shot a nice impala here last Saturday and had the fillets from it on the grill that night! As they say down here, it was lekker!
It was a button actually. It was good meat still though. Was standing still and meat looks great so it should still be good eating. Kind of mad I shot it but not much I could do, by the time I got up to it I could still barely tell it was a buck (until I saw the giblets). I'd love to eat some more exotic stuff though!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

This makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

http://chefronlock.com/recipes/roast-prime-rib-of-beef/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

bj68, if you want the roast rare - med-rare (as that recipe indicates) try the following Heston Blumenthal method instead.

First, get one of these.

Then use it to sear your roast on all sides, taking no more than about 7 or 8 minutes total to do so. (You want browning, not cooking)

Set your oven to 125°F - 130°F. (If you do this when you start the searing process, the oven should be up to temp by the time you're finished). Use a store-bought oven thermometer to check temps, don't rely on the temperature-o-meter built in to your oven. They're about as useless as the French during a German invasion.

Put the roast on a sheet tray or cookie sheet and put the lot into the oven. Let it cook for 24 hours. (The roast will be done in about 5-6 hours, but the extra time will impart a quasi dry aged effect on the flavor of the meat.) You can add the herbs de provence as per the Ron Lock recipe when you put everything int the oven.

Out of the oven, rest for 10 minutes or so. Carve according to your desires. You can cut it into individual ribeye steaks (you'll want to sear the cut sides in a screaming hot pan), or slice into the most delectable prime rib you've ever had.

Imo, 500°F is way too hot to be cooking animal proteins if you really want to retain any of their natural texture. Temps that high should be reserved for searing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

These people are serious about cocktails.....and ice:

[youtube][/youtube]
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

On a recent trip to a Super Wal-Mart, I was pleased to encounter four of the rarer (at least in Pittsburgh) flavors of Spam: Black Pepper, Bacon, Hot & Spicy, and Jalapeño (I’m still on the lookout for Teriyaki, Hickory Smoke, and Cheese). Spam with Bacon was up first, and was consumed in the form of fried Spam and Swiss-cheese sandwiches with egg and spinach on top.

To be honest, I didn’t detect much bacon flavor in the Spam with Bacon. Both foodstuffs are essentially cured pork, and adding bacon to Spam strikes me a little like butterflying a steak and stuffing it with another steak—you’re not going to get much of a flavor difference between the filling and the wrapper. It has the same calories per serving as regular Spam, but is higher in sodium. Verdict: not sufficiently different from regular Spam in flavor to justify the increased salt.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

hit about a pound of back straps in a pan of butter. 5-7 minutes a side, with a side of brown rice. zomg melt in my mouth delish.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mrs Tif and I had our gift exchange this morning.

Too bad I knew what it was when it was delivered last week; I recognized the address of the cutlery shop in Washington. ;)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I braised a roast in beer* all day yesterday. Then basically ended up with "pulled beef" and treated it like barbecue.
Yoi, that was good.

I used a couple cans of MGD.
:nealwithit:
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

X mas dinner hams....

Spiral cut
Bone in
Boneless

Whats the best? I think I might go with spiral simply cause it seems like a better cut.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

They're all the same cut, it's just a matter of convenience. Do you mind carving? Then bone in. If you sorta don't mind carving, then boneless. If you think carving is stupid, get spiral cut.

To me, boneless ham is sort of akin to meatless steak.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I suppose but I swear spiral taste better.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

We go to the Mrs. c2i's family every Christmas (we do Thanksgiving with my family), and we have a huge meal Christmas eve. I've been called up to the majors this year. Helping make the meal. Not sure what we're cooking yet, but I know I'm in charge of the bread and deep frying the turkey.