Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Other NHL games 2013-2014 season

Post by offsides »

SolidSnake wrote:The best player in the world didn't convert on that scoring attempt
Have to give Emery some credit on that, outstanding save.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I want to see what would happen should emery go after a bruins goalie. pop
Stadium implosion due to a rift in the space time continuum due to dividing The Code by 0
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I do like what Hartnell did on that one, glad to see the best player in the world get shoved around for once.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

What? Berube blowing through the goon glass ceiling?
Every time this crew tells me how great a coach is Berube (and they do it a lot), they re-enforce how crappy he was as a player.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Now that hit by Schenn is more than a little questionable.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

We want 10! We want 10!
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:I want to see what would happen should emery go after a bruins goalie. pop

Me too. On a selfish note, I want to see if it cracks the force field.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

I want to see Toews play on a team or at least a line that doesn't have other star players. He's one of those players that is very good, but I'm not sure he's as good as people give him credit for.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

Hartnell is a moron and a dirtball. That's the third hit from behind from him that I've seen tonight. Add that to the tackle from behind/punch to the back of the head in the Redwing game. He seldom passes up a chance to take a stupid penalty or hit someone when they're not looking.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Look out, here comes some nonsense.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Here comes the Orpik should have fought crap...
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

sniper wrote:Here comes the Orpik should have fought crap...
They can take their code and shove it.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

How many fights has Alex Ovechkin been involved in for 'playing with an edge'?
What ****.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

sniper wrote:I want to see Toews play on a team or at least a line that doesn't have other star players. He's one of those players that is very good, but I'm not sure he's as good as people give him credit for.
Well, he's not really enough of a "gamebreaker" to be completely successful on a bad team...he doesn't have Patrick Kane gamebreaker ability, I mean, that was even the talk among scouts at the draft...but they knew exactly what they were getting. The reason why, generally, East fans think Toews is overrated is because they don't see him do a ton of flashy stuff but is always winning...the reason why the West fans, generally, think he's rated fine is because he does so well away from the puck that it more (maybe much more) makes up for his a-bit-under-elite skill level...

Toews is kind of like Doug Gilmour, maybe a little less snarl and a little more on the goal-scoring slider, a little less on the playmaking...Gilmour is historically under-appreciated, in my opinion...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

When does the brawl start?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

That intermission report has me fuming.

"If you're on the Orpik side", as if being against him is some demented way is the majority.

Listen, if you have to fight someone because of a nonexistent code, hockey games would never end. Secondly, physical play in every sport never results in a fight other than in hockey.

It's so ridiculous to even talk about. They spent the entire intermission talking about a stupid made up code than analyzing how the Flyers are getting raped.

Give me a freaking break!
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

mikey287 wrote:
sniper wrote:I want to see Toews play on a team or at least a line that doesn't have other star players. He's one of those players that is very good, but I'm not sure he's as good as people give him credit for.
Well, he's not really enough of a "gamebreaker" to be completely successful on a bad team...he doesn't have Patrick Kane gamebreaker ability, I mean, that was even the talk among scouts at the draft...but they knew exactly what they were getting. The reason why, generally, East fans think Toews is overrated is because they don't see him do a ton of flashy stuff but is always winning...the reason why the West fans, generally, think he's rated fine is because he does so well away from the puck that it more (maybe much more) makes up for his a-bit-under-elite skill level...

Toews is kind of like Doug Gilmour, maybe a little less snarl and a little more on the goal-scoring slider, a little less on the playmaking...Gilmour is historically under-appreciated, in my opinion...
He kind of reminds me of Ron Francis. Obviously Toews isn't going to score as many points as Francis did, but he's solid everywhere and not really spectacular anywhere. Francis was probably a better passer, but that's who he reminds me of. I just think Toews wouldn't really be thought of any better than a guy like Mikko Koivu if he didn't play on a stacked team. Good player, but he gets more star status than I think he really deserves. It seemed like most of it started with the last Olympics where he played well. When I think about that though, I think well he's on Team Canada's 4th line. Canada's biggest strength over other teams is their depth. So while line 1 is seeing Chara when Canada plays Slovakia, line 4 is playing against some far less talented player. Line 4 and Toews better be producing.

I want to see him play with some lower quality linemates against quality competition. He's been very blessed with who his linemates have been his entire career.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If they were both swapped in places(and Koivu was actually healthy ever) I'm sure Koivu would be thought of as better.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Idoit40fans wrote:If they were both swapped in places(and Koivu was actually healthy ever) I'm sure Koivu would be thought of as better.
I agree. There are players Toews gets rated ahead of and I'm not sure he deserves it. Switch him with Spezza and which one is getting the guaranteed Team Canada spot right now? Toews is better on defense still, but Spezza and him have produced roughly the same offensively this year and on Chicago I'd imagine Spezza would have much better numbers. I cringe a little when I see Toews ranked as a top 5 player in the league. He's solid for sure. I'm not sure he's super star material.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Good, they deserve to get scored on for their filthy play.

EDIT: This is quite enjoyable to watch. :D
Last edited by offsides on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

sniper wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If they were both swapped in places(and Koivu was actually healthy ever) I'm sure Koivu would be thought of as better.
I agree. There are players Toews gets rated ahead of and I'm not sure he deserves it. Switch him with Spezza and which one is getting the guaranteed Team Canada spot right now? Toews is better on defense still, but Spezza and him have produced roughly the same offensively this year and on Chicago I'd imagine Spezza would have much better numbers. I cringe a little when I see Toews ranked as a top 5 player in the league. He's solid for sure. I'm not sure he's super star material.
I said it yesterday but if Chicago had to deal with the injuries that the Pens have had the past few years they wouldn't of lasted a second. The fact they never have injuries to Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook is powerball like luck
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

fLOLyers
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

C'mon, Berube, you're an officially sanctioned great assistant coach, get control of your team.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

profpolisci wrote:C'mon, Berube, you're an officially sanctioned great assistant coach, get control of your team.
Berube probably thinks they aren't playing dirty enough.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really agree with it. Mikko Koivu is one of my favorite players, I wish he was as good Toews...

I think Toews was on the third line for Canada with Mike Richards and Rick Nash. They got a lot done certainly. And I mean, I want do you want Slovakia to do? Canada is so deep, I'm thinking Joe Thornton or Patrice Bergeron being the 4th line center, I'm not sure we should punish Toews for that, considering that this is a best-on-best tournament that he was invited to (and he was an integral part of the winning team)...and it only happens every four years...

In every day life, he does face the stiffest competition almost every night...best defensive players to try to shut him down, sometimes best offensive players for him to shutdown - especially now that they don't have Dave Bolland, a tremendous hit to their flimsy center depth...Kruger doing decent work, Handzus is fine but is one of the slowest top-9 forwards in the league, then young Pirri or role player Shaw are also in the mix...not a lot to work with...puts a lot of pressure on Toews, and he's responded as well as he always has...

Linemates might help out Jonathan Toews, but Sidney Crosby having Evgeni Malkin to take some of the pressure off is huge for him...defenses have to prepare for two lines, not one...having four strong centers is a great spine for a winning team...even when the three-center system was more prominent, teams with four strong centers seemed to be more successful until it caught on for good...

I think Toews has done everything asked of him and more in his career at every level...he's rated pretty properly, I do believe...